Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian 12 or 13 available, or that is "sid"??

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Debian 12 or 13 available, or that is "sid"??

#21 Post by sunrat »

Hallvor wrote: 2021-09-21 05:35

Code: Select all

$ sudo passwd root
will set a root password...
Indeed it will. The passwd command defaults to root so it's not necessary to specify "root". It also can be used to set any other user's password so then the user must be specified eg.

sudo passwd kermitthefrog
will set password for user "kermitthefrog".
I don't mean to be rude, but all of your questions could be solved with a very basic web search. It is also faster than asking here.

Please read.. What we expect you have already done: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=47078
+1, good advice.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

este.el.paz

Re: Debian 12 or 13 available, or that is "sid"??

#22 Post by este.el.paz »

Hallvor wrote: 2021-09-21 05:35

$ sudo passwd root
will set a root password...

I don't mean to be rude, but all of your questions could be solved with a very basic web search. It is also faster than asking here.

Please read.. What we expect you have already done: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=47078
@Hallvor:

Thanks for the data, appreciate it most kindly. In fact I have found the Debian forums to historically be "difficult" and so I bend all effort to find my answer online or elsewhere before posting. I did search the Debian wiki, but the wiki goes on for pages that present a few paragraphs that link to other distant topics, I (sorry to be rude) don't find it "user friendly." In fact the answers may be contained there, but where to look is the problem. And same issue with the "man" pages, often "too much information about everything that doesn't actually answer the question."

I generally found that running the gauntlet on the forums will eventually provide accurate data. It looks like from my posts here I had something in Debian going and posting about in '12/'13 . . . but, looks like nothing held my interest or perhaps the "rudeness" drove me away until this year. I now have three Debian installs going, so I'm back . . . Debian seems to run things "a bit differently" than my other 8+ distro installs . . . so I might again post a question on the forum and run the gauntlet on it . . . just for kicks. :? :shock: