Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian should seriously consider rolling release version

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
Trihexagonal
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

Re: Debian should seriously consider rolling release version

#21 Post by Trihexagonal »

My Sister works for the State Dept and uses a computer all day long. The last thing she wants to do when she gets off work is touch one. But al she knows is the program she runs. When it goes down she calls someone like us to come fix it. She readily admits she couldn't follow my FreeBSD Beginner's Tutorial.

I've only met 1 person in 17 years that knew what FreeBSD was and turned out he lived in the same building in Public Housing I do. He had a Degree in Computer Science - Communications and knew what BSD was but OD's before I got a chance to set one up for him. I don't know anyone who uses Linux or doesn't go glassy-eyed if I talk about bots.

I just came from a forum where it was the kewl thing to do to bash Kali, and none of them had actually used it or could run a BSD box. Yet could not help but tell me one after another how dogs and cats would start sleeping together if continued my ways as a heretic and chicken little felt hit their head that had to be the sky falling.

I'm sick of it and sick of people trying to tell me what's best for me just because they can't do it themselves

I've got a link to my site in my profile where you can take a look at my FreeBSD tutorial, if you like. My post of it in the FreeBSD forums has over 100,000 views alone. I don't track visitor to my site.
When Darkness takes everything embrace what Darkness brings.

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#22 Post by canci »

>I'm sick of it and sick of people trying to tell me what's best for me just because they can't do it themselves

>100 000 clicks

This banter tells me everything I need to know about you. I'm done talking to you. I'll just suggest that you might be happier over on the commercial platforms where attention seeking reigns supreme.
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

Trihexagonal
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#23 Post by Trihexagonal »

canci wrote: 2022-04-02 20:39 >I'm sick of it and sick of people trying to tell me what's best for me just because they can't do it themselves

>100 000 clicks

This banter tells me everything I need to know about you. I'm done talking to you. I'll just suggest that you might be happier over on the commercial platforms where attention seeking reigns supreme.
I would say that was dramatic enough to apply to your own advise.

But you may be right. When I googled Debian forums to get the address the second biggest search term was "Debian forums rude". About 985,000 results, so you have me at roughly a 10 to 1 ratio.

The difference being one was for being helpful and the other...not so much.
Attachments
Keep up the good work
Keep up the good work
10to1.png (61.16 KiB) Viewed 1177 times
When Darkness takes everything embrace what Darkness brings.

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

#24 Post by arochester »

@Trihexagonal

Did you actually read any of the search results? The ones about Arch Linux and Ubuntu etc. Did you check out the dates of some of the entries e.g. 2008?

Try again using some quote marks - "Debian User Forums" rude
Read the entries. Check out the dates. Bear in mind that the forum has been running since 2004.

Find very many recent entries?

Things can change over time.

craigevil

#25 Post by craigevil »

Debian Sid with Incoming and Experimental repos.

Plus flatpaks and snap for a couple of newer apps and you are good to go.
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#26 Post by cds60601 »

craigevil wrote: 2022-04-04 21:00 Debian Sid with Incoming and Experimental repos.
Sid yes. Incoming and Experimental is a bit too rich for my blood.
What benefits are you seeing with them? I'm curious to know as it might be worth a try for shits -n- giggles
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

craigevil

#27 Post by craigevil »

Experimental I haven't messed with in a while.
Incoming gets updated even more often than Sid.
YES I chase SNS!!!!

Packages: 3249 apt: 3230 flatpak: 11 snap: 8

My actual sources.lists:

Code: Select all

Repos:
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list
    1: deb https://deb.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free
    2: deb https://deb.debian.org/debian/ experimental main contrib non-free
    3: deb https://incoming.debian.org/debian-buildd/ buildd-unstable main contrib non-free
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/github-cli.list
    1: deb [arch=arm64 signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/githubcli-archive-keyring.gpg] https://cli.github.com/packages stable main
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/raspi.list
    1: deb https://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/ buster main
    2: deb https://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/ bullseye main
  No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/syncthing.list
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/vivaldi.list
    1: deb [arch=arm64] https://repo.vivaldi.com/stable/deb/ stable main
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/volian-archive-scar-unstable.list
    1: deb [arch=amd64,arm64,armhf] http://deb.volian.org/volian/ scar main
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/vscode.list
    1: deb [arch=amd64,arm64,armhf signed-by=/etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/packages.microsoft.gpg] https://packages.microsoft.com/repos/code stable main
The few actual apps I have from flatpak enable me to run apps that require either Gnome or KDE depends, neither of which I want.

flatpak list
Name                                              Application ID                                  Version                Branch                Installation
FreeTube                                          io.freetubeapp.FreeTube                         0.16.0 Beta            stable                system
LibreWolf                                         io.gitlab.librewolf-community                   98.0.2-1               stable                system
Freedesktop Platform                              org.freedesktop.Platform                        21.08.12               21.08                 system
Mesa                                              org.freedesktop.Platform.GL.default             21.3.8                 21.08                 system
ffmpeg-full                                       org.freedesktop.Platform.ffmpeg-full                                   21.08                 system
GNOME Application Platform version 42             org.gnome.Platform                                                     42                    system
KDE Application Platform                          org.kde.Platform                                                       5.15-21.08            system
Okular                                            org.kde.okular                                  21.12.3                stable                system
Telegram Desktop                                  org.telegram.desktop                            3.6.1                  stable                system
Telegram Desktop Webview Add-on                   org.telegram.desktop.webview                    2.36.0                 stable                system
VLC                                               org.videolan.VLC                                3.0.17                 stable                system
Snap I have a newer Firefox since the version in Sid is still broken on arm64.

snap list
Name               Version             Rev    Tracking          Publisher   Notes
bare               1.0                 5      latest/stable     canonical✓  base
core20             20220318            1408   latest/stable     canonical✓  base
firefox            99.0-2              1191   latest/candidate  mozilla✓    -
gnome-3-38-2004    0+git.1f9014a       100    latest/stable     canonical✓  -
gtk-common-themes  0.1-59-g7bca6ae     1519   latest/stable     canonical✓  -
snap-store         3.38.0-66-gbd5b8f7  559    latest/stable     canonical✓  -
snapd              2.54.4              15183  latest/stable     canonical✓  snapd
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list