Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Virtualbox package/installation for Debian 12 Bookworm?

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
leon.lain.delysid

Virtualbox package/installation for Debian 12 Bookworm?

#1 Post by leon.lain.delysid »

Hello everyone!

I have changed my sources.list to point to "bookworm" and upgraded my system. (Was that a bad idea? I'm under the impression that Testing and sid are the same right now, is that right? Love GNOME 40 yet though!)
Only in this repository, there is no "virtualbox" package. So I downloaded the "all GNU/Linux distributions" .run file from the website of Virtualbox and installed it that way.

So now Virtualbox runs fine until I try to start one of my virtual machines. Then I get this error:

Code: Select all

The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver is either not loaded or not set up correctly. Please try setting it up again by executing

'/sbin/vboxconfig'

as root.

If your system has EFI Secure Boot enabled you may also need to sign the kernel modules (vboxdrv, vboxnetflt, vboxnetadp, vboxpci) before you can load them. Please see your Linux system's documentation for more information.

where: suplibOsInit what: 3 VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED (-1908) - The support driver is not installed. On linux, open returned ENOENT.
Anyone knows what's wrong? Or how to make Virtualbox run on Bookworm? Or could tell me what I did wrong?

Thanks for reading and for your help!

pwzhangzz

Re: Virtualbox package/installation for Debian 12 Bookworm?

#2 Post by pwzhangzz »

Virtualbox is in the sid repos; I have been using it for several weeks now and it works great. Just change "bookworm" to "sid" in your source.list. Make sure that you also add the contrib and non-free repos.

Once in sid, you can install virtualbox with a simple command:

sudo apt update && sudo apt install virtualbox virtualbox-ext-pack build-essential linux-headers-$(uname -r) virtualbox-dkms
Then add yourself to the vboxsf group:

sudo usermod -a -G vboxusers $USER
The above are two of the basic steps to get started.
Last edited by pwzhangzz on 2021-10-06 02:38, edited 1 time in total.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Post by sunrat »

pwzhangzz wrote: 2021-10-01 16:05 Virtualbox is in the sid repos; I have been using it for several weeks now and it works great. Just change "bookworm" to "sid" in your source.list. Make sure that you also add the contrib and non-free repos.
Sorry, that's not good advice. By changing your sources you end up running Sid rather than Bookworm (and full-upgrade is needed to do that upgrade correctly) so that doesn't answer how to install in Bookworm. Personally I would just run Sid anyway.

I know this thread is about Bookworm, but for Bullseye there is a method listed in the Debian wiki which should be safe. You add a special repository which is purported to be maintained especially for Debian and install from there.
https://wiki.debian.org/VirtualBox
https://fasttrack.debian.net/
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

leon.lain.delysid

#4 Post by leon.lain.delysid »

I'm sorry but those answers are kind of unsatisfactory to the topic at hand. I didn't wish to know how to install Virtualbox on sid, nor on Bullseye, but on Bookworm.

But little bit of news: Bookworm is just too unstable for me right now so I opted to go back to using Bullseye and just stick to older but more stable software. After all, Debian is well-known for its state of the art stability, so let's take advantage of that. So I guess I'll just stick to Bullseye for now.

And by the way, "lsb_release -a" outputs this:

Distributor ID:	Debian
Description:	Debian GNU/Linux bookworm/sid
Release:	testing
Codename:	bookworm
And my sources.list point to bookworm. The "/sid" mention confuses me in that output. Am I running sid or bookworm here? Maybe the 2 branches are the same for now? Sorry for my lack of knowledge about the releases of Debian at times when we just incremented a version.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Post by sunrat »

Use Virt-manager with KVM/QEMU. It's much better than Vbox for both performance and reliability. Its GUI is not quite so click n' go but pretty easy once you spend a few minutes with it.
It's open source too whereas Vbox comes from (vomit) Oracle.

apt install virt-manager
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

leon.lain.delysid

#6 Post by leon.lain.delysid »

sunrat wrote: 2021-10-13 03:27 It's open source too whereas Vbox comes from (vomit) Oracle.

apt install virt-manager
sunrat, I very much feel your disdain against Oracle as well! But for virtualization, I'm looking for virtualization software that will be robust with having the virtual machine work perfectly, including graphics capabilities, USB sharing, being able to transfer files between host and guest, etc. I want my virtual machines to feel like they're running on a physical computer as much as possible. And until now, Virtualbox has been the best I managed to find and thus use.
But!
I don't know the program you're referring to yet, but I'm definitely going to check it out because if I actually was able to ditch Virtualbox/Oracle, I'll be happily willing to do it. So if you could just talk to me more about it and give me some advice on how to get started to use this software, it would be dearly appreciated. Now I know all of this is off topic, but my (vomit) Oracle addiction has taken its toll long enough for my taste and you poked my interest with your mention of this alternative.
Bear in mind that I wish to be able to virtualize GNU/Linux systems, but also different versions of old or new Windows versions which Virtualbox is able to pull off quite well.

gusi

#7 Post by gusi »

@you may also need to sign the kernel modulesvboxdrv, vboxnetflt, vboxnetadp, vboxpci
That is wrong !
Virtualbox has fixed this 2 years ago , do not answer with fakts, they are not true in threats

https://www.linuxuprising.com/2019/07/v ... -boot.html
VirtualBox 6.0.10 Adds UEFI Secure Boot Driver Signing On Ubuntu And Debian 10+ Hosts

gusi

No,

#8 Post by gusi »

do not use Virt-Manager , no good 3D -acceleration , u can forget.

Virtualbox can do this on windows 7 and higher
and VM-Ware-player on Windows-xp and higher
--------
if u does install VMware-player on Kernel 5.14... (Debian-Testing and Debain-Sid)
after the Installation , u must install a patch
download
https://github.com/mkubecek/vmware-host ... s/releases , w = Workatation , p = player
1. sudo make 2 . sudo make install 3. Reboot 4. Be happy
--------
but BTW , u Game runs perfektly with wine , very fast , i use Wine-Staging

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Yes

#9 Post by CwF »

gusi wrote: 2021-10-13 20:37 do not use Virt-Manager , no good 3D -acceleration , u can forget.
Well, my VMM XP has had full native quadro video acceleration, and also usb3 for the last 4 years. Now it's not even on/in the same computer it was installed on...

Try that!

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Yes

#10 Post by sunrat »

CwF wrote: 2021-10-17 02:31
gusi wrote: 2021-10-13 20:37 do not use Virt-Manager , no good 3D -acceleration , u can forget.
Well, my VMM XP has had full native quadro video acceleration, and also usb3 for the last 4 years. Now it's not even on/in the same computer it was installed on...

Try that!
Thanks for clearing that up @CwF . I thought our friend @gusi was wrong but I haven't used any Win in a VM for years so couldn't confirm. I mainly only use VMs for checking out new distros I don't want to install yet.
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

gusi

#11 Post by gusi »

No , Never ))
BTW , i m a Woman

in Vmware , all is compact in one Directory . the vdmk , the config-file
in Virtmanager ? where is the config-file ?? haha
Virt-Manager is based on Qemu-kvm , deliefer mile-long Config-strings for Qemu

i use Qemu direkt , need no Virtmanager , most for quick boot-testing usb-sticks
the 3D in Quemu is not perfect , virtmanager is only a gui for Qemu, can not do more as Qemu iself
If u change u pc and replace from intel to amd , u become trouble with 3D
not so in Virtualbox or Vmware

The other thing , u can not do a bridged network based on Wlan , because qemu cant do
u need always a lan-card . vmware+ vbox can , that is stonetime
u can only do NAT or only host

the vmware-player is for free
running on all platform

excuse my bad english Sunrat + cwf
i hope u understand my comments right

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#12 Post by sunrat »

gusi wrote: 2021-10-17 09:50 excuse my bad english Sunrat + cwf
i hope u understand my comments right
I try to understand your comments but some of them are not true but rather opinions, and some does not make sense at all. Many people who use Debian prefer to use open-source software and both Virtualbox and Vmware are proprietary. I think you don't understand the capabilities of KVM/QEMU either.

Perhaps you should write in your own language and use DeepL to translate to English. It may be easier to understand and help you to improve your English. Some of what you wrote is not words. What is your native language? There may be a Debian forum in that language.
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#13 Post by CwF »

sunrat wrote: 2021-10-17 12:20 you don't understand the capabilities of KVM/QEMU
Common problem. The two solutions are not in the same league really. Vbox has proven not to be as stable long term, that is across release upgrades, and with migration of the host computer.

The XP(pro) vm I'm watching live TV on right now was installed July 10, 2018. Another XP (home) was installed Feb 13, 2017. They were crafted on Jessie, on a X8D supermicro. Now running on a X9S running Stretch, old. But they have also run on X9D under Buster, same images. That is a long term durability I don't believe is so easy with Virtual Box. They will run on Bullseye, as of yet they don't *need* to. I don't like doing things more than once.

Another feature of VMM is the ability to network the nest. That Stretch VMM reaches into Buster/Bullseye qemu servers remotely. So virtual machines can be utilized by any VMM equiped desktop, with or without kvm/qemu capability. The qemu server does need VMM. This segmentation of function is not available with Virtual Box.

Next is the reality that VirtualBox is a laptop program! It is useful for hardware limited local use. On a 'real computer', whatever we call full sized computers now - 'towers' 'racks' or the ambiguous 'desktop', the extra PCIe slots useful with vfio hardware pass. That's not so easy with VirtualBox, and where the dividing line is very clear. KVM/QEMU is paravirtualize capable, that's hardware assisted and works much better than 'addon extensions'. Btw, I prefer 'desktop' chassis.

Qemu is substantially lighter once the use case is beyond ONE vm. I used the term 'nest', a config far beyond a laptop. I can test on multiple monitors with multiple gpu's without getting out of my chair, that config is a moving target...Not only can I do many things at once, other people can join in!

So be fair, VBox and qemu/kvm are not the same thing. VMWare is another story, and basically the target for qemu/kvm/vmm. It would be nice if more noobs and converts wanted to improve the open source solutions. The incomplete solutions already in progress for everything mentioned could be finished with more audience.

gusi

#14 Post by gusi »

Ok. Guys
I personally dont use Virtualbox , this can not emulate Secureboot

Vmware can
An uefi-VM is nothing worth , u cant test this.
Many Laptops have this on per Default , and few of them, u can not disable it in Bios

gusi

#15 Post by gusi »

hey Surat
let me training my english here.
i think, the most people understand my words

For VM's : we can discuss this in a own Threat