Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Upgrade From Debian Bullseye to Debian Bookworm?

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
afiadi

Upgrade From Debian Bullseye to Debian Bookworm?

#1 Post by afiadi »

Hai all,
I use Debian on my server since Debian Buster.This great and very smooth operating system, I love it. I also install and use in VMware Workstation. I install Debian Bullseye RC-2. The question is:

How exactly to upgrade from Debian Bullesye to Debian Bookworm, What should I do? It is enough only change all word bullseye in /etc/apt/sources.list then What next should I do? Please give clear step by step explanation in command, because I've search on the internet, still make me confuse.

This is my /etc/apt/sources.list

Thank You in Advance
Best regards,
Afiadi

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Upgrade From Debian Bullseye to Debian Bookworm?

#2 Post by sunrat »

If you like a smooth operating system, stay with Bullseye. Bookworm is Testing ie. a development release and will be flooded with eternal upgrades for a couple of years until its release as Stable. Each upgrade will risk breakage.

I would never install Testing on a server, but if you like danger yeah sure edit bullseye to read bookworm in your sources and run apt update then apt upgrade then apt full-upgrade. It may break just doing that.
You should add contrib to your main sources if you have non-free there, and there are no security upgrades for Testing.

Please in future post code text as text in CODE boxes rather than image.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

afiadi

#3 Post by afiadi »

Ooo...oke siap, I think this is misunderstand, I won't upgrade my Bullseye to Bookworm in my server. I miss to tell I just want to update Debian Bullseye to Debian Bookworm in My VM for testing and development.

Thank you very much for your explanation, I just want to confirm, Is this include replace word with bookworm in line contain bullseye-security?

Thank You in Advance

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by sunrat »

afiadi wrote: 2021-10-02 09:02 Thank you very much for your explanation, I just want to confirm, Is this include replace word with bookworm in line contain bullseye-security?
As I said, security upgrades are not generally available for Testing. The repository exists so it won't cause a problem to include it but it will remain empty until after Bookworm is released as Stable. (There was one firmware package released there about 3 years ago, but generally nothing).
So yes, replace bullseye with bookworm there. Definitely do not leave it as bullseye.
Also comment out the deb-src lines unless you plan to build packages from source; it will save a few seconds during updates.
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

afiadi

#5 Post by afiadi »

Oalah gitu ya, I see, Oke siap. It's clear now, Thank you very much for your explanation.

afiadi

#6 Post by afiadi »

Oke siap mantap banget, I've upgraded Debian Bullseye to Debian Bookworm, the process upgrading is very very smooth,great OS I love it no error during upgrade. Thank you very much to Debian Developer and for the clue and explanation.

Best regards,
Afiadi

pwzhangzz

#7 Post by pwzhangzz »

afiadi wrote: 2021-10-05 15:40 Thank you very much to Debian Developers
Can't say enough THANKS!

fari101

#8 Post by fari101 »

[sorry for bringing up an old post]
does the method mentioned here ( upgrading from Bullseye to Bookworm ) upgrade the Kernel too? for NVIDIA driver issues ( kernel compatibility ) i had to install Bullseye which comes with kernel 5.x. ( i didn't want to make a Franken-Debian Bookworm with Kernel 5 so i chose Bullseye). now what happens if i upgrade to bookworm this way? can i then choose between kernels at boot? or kernel 5 will get removed after apt upgrade / apt full-upgrade ?

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Post by sunrat »

What Nvidia driver are you talking about? What card do you have? It would assist if you can post system and hardware details like:

Code: Select all

inxi -CGSxz
inxi must be installed.

Kernels don't normally get removed during upgrades.
You should read the Bookworm Release Notes upgrade section - https://www.debian.org/releases/bookwor ... ng.en.html

And yes, you should have started a new topic rather than posting in a dead one.
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!