Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian (12) Testing ISOs are now here

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
ooglaboogla

Debian (12) Testing ISOs are now here

#1 Post by ooglaboogla »

In discussion on other posts, I had brought forth the controversial idea that Debian 12 Testing is already here for all practical purposes. Bookworm is the codename for Debian 12, and the Bookworm repo has been active since August. I had said that I expected ISOs by December, but they are here now, from the Unofficial server. The Weekly build of Debian is now built on the Bookworm repo, and runs on Kernel 5.14. This is the iso titled "firmware-testing-amd64-DVD-1.iso" found at https://cdimage.debian.org/images/unoff ... 4/iso-dvd/. This is the long install which contains all desktops, and can be installed without a connection to the internet, though a connection is recommended. Notes about this installer: It does not give you the option to set up autologin. The Calamares Installer Live Build ISOs have not been updated since August, so you'll need to know how to set up autologin for your DE, if you wish to use it. Also, it does not show the Debian 11 Logo Plymouth screen during boot and session exit. You get to see the scary dialog on the screen. I find that refreshing, myself. As I said, this is essentially Debian 12 Testing, and will eventually have Debian 12 branding. I have no idea how far off that will be.

If you're a Cinnamon DE user, there is a problem with Cinnamon 5 right now that hopefully the Debian team will get worked out soon enough. I have done a lot of work over the past 2 weeks to absolutely confirm that the problem occurs on all types of hardware. I also confirmed today with the new weekly build ISO that it occurs out of the box, before making any changes. It's not a big problem, but it's very annoying. When you shut down or restart, there is a message in the dialog for "A stop job is running for Session # of user ******." This has been a common message over the years on Linux with many different causes. I haven't been able to find the cause here. It's annoying because it waits 90 seconds before finally giving up and ending the session. This problem seems to be a leftover from whatever the Debian team had to do a couple of weeks ago to solve an issue with Cinnamon 5 not working at all for several days. Updates had broke it, then updates fixed it several days later. But it's been doing this 90 second delay thing since then. Oddly, it doesn't always happen. This made me think I had fixed it several times, but found out later I hadn't.

Anyway, have fun with Debian 12 Testing, and don't let any of those jerks tell you that Debian 12 won't exist for 2 more years.