Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

90-second delay restarting and shutting down Cinnamon 5

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
ooglaboogla

90-second delay restarting and shutting down Cinnamon 5

#1 Post by ooglaboogla »

Turning the way-back machine back about 2 weeks, there was an issue for a few days where updates broke Cinnamon 5 on Debian Sid/Experimental. Cinnamon 5 failed to load the taskbar and was in fall-back mode. I had gotten around this by removing Cinnamon 5 and reinstalling 4.8 from Sid. Then Cinnamon 5 moved to Sid, so I had to remove Sid and drop back to Bookworm to use 4.8. The next day, Cinnamon 5 moved to Bookworm, but they fixed that issue, so it worked. Since then, there has been a new problem with Cinnamon 5 on Debian Testing. It's minor, but very annoying. It doesn't always happen, but almost always seems to if uptime is more than a few minutes. Nothing else seems to have any bearing on it. On restart or shutdown, there is a 90-second delay with the message "A stop job is running for session # of user ******." Syslog shows the stop job, but indicates it executed as intended. I've come up empty trying to isolate the cause. I didn't include specs here, because the problem happens on all types of hardware I've tested it on, between 3 different PCs and 2 different laptops, all with different architecture. I also confirmed yesterday with the Debian Testing weekly build iso, which is now built on Bookworm, that it occurs out of the box, before any changes are made.

I also tested Sparky Linux 7, which is built on Debian Bookworm. It did the same thing. Interestingly, this problem does not occur with Cinnamon 5 on any distro using the Ubuntu repos. Linux Mint 20.2 has no problem. No problem with Ubuntu Cinnamon Remix running Cinnamon 5. Debian Bookworm/Sid/Experimental had no problem running Cinnamon 5 until the trouble began a couple of weeks ago. I'd been running Cinnamon 5 from the Experimental repo well before Bullseye became stable and Bookworm became active for testing.

I'm not asking for help on this. I'm done trying to figure it out. Just wanted to let the community know, so maybe somebody can fix it. For now, I'm just using Mint 20.2 with the 5.11 kernel on my main PC. (Bullseye is already too outdated for me.) I'll keep an eye on the Debian Testing situation on my secondary PC.

Note: Actually I was mistaken. The issue with Cinnamon 5 not loading at all was fixed when Cinnamon 5 moved to Sid. That was when the new problem started, so I removed Sid so I could get 4.8 from Bookworm. Cinnamon 5 moved to Bookworm the next day. I could have reinstalled with Bullseye to get 4.8 back, but I don't do Debian Stale. I mean Stable...

ooglaboogla

Re: 90-second delay restarting and shutting down Cinnamon 5

#2 Post by ooglaboogla »

A bit surprised nothing has been said in reply to this post. Anyway, the problem has not been corrected yet, as of updates on 10-17. Still does it on any hardware. On my main PC, I installed Debian 11.1 from the unofficial firmware iso, then temporarily added sid to get all the program versions I use. I did not update the system with sid, so it is now running Bullseye with some Sid packages. With Cinnamon still at 4.8.6.2, this works, but I don't consider it a solution.

On the secondary PC, I tried something different. I installed sddm and made it the default display manager, instead of lightdm. It is still running Debian (12) Bookworm/Sid with Cinnamon 5.05, and using sddm seems to have solved the problem. Not to say that there is anything wrong with lightdm, but without it the problem is gone. Nothing else I tried made any difference. My experience with sddm on ArcoLinux made me wonder if it could be a solution. Apparently so.

ooglaboogla

#3 Post by ooglaboogla »

Update: After switching to sddm on 2 PCs and one of the laptops, the problem is gone on all of them. Notes: The delay will occur one more time after installing sddm, but after restarting using sddm, it should no longer occur. Special Note: If you autologin to Cinnamon, you'll need to correct that manually for sddm. You must get this right, or the system will get stuck during boot. I installed sddm from Synaptic, but you can terminal it with sudo apt install sddm. For autologin, you'll need to create a folder in /etc called sddm.conf.d. (/etc/sddm.conf.d) It will not be created during install. Cinnamon allows this in Nemo, using the Open as Root selection from the right click menu. After creating the folder, enter the folder and create a new empty document titled autologin.conf. Open this with Text Editor and put in the following:

[Autologin]
User=(whatever your username happens to be)
Session=cinnamon

Save the file and restart.
If you don't use autologin, nothing needs to be done after installing sddm. During installation, you should be asked which display manager you want to make the default. If you don't use Cinnamon, then why are you reading this post?

Fantu

#4 Post by Fantu »

the delay issue on restart was already reported here: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=996668 and I reproduced on Sid only recently in one clean vm. I taken a look but I not found a solution for now.