Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Status of cinnamon in debian and future development

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
Fantu

Status of cinnamon in debian and future development

#1 Post by Fantu »

Hi, I'm contributing in cinnamon (and related components) packages for 7 years and even if I have very few time I'm still going. There is only another new maintainer (Joshua) that try to help and no other active DM/DD with upload permissions for next packages.
I started the DM procedure only recently and I don't know how long it will be before I am able to upload. Looking for sponsors for uploads every time I am afraid would take time, if any DD want to offer his help I would be very grateful. Also review, testing and other help to make better cinnamon packages would be appreciated.

Until now the initial customizations and the changes of default values are very few, not only for time but also because I do not want to risk doing something requested by a few users but which may not be pleasant for many.
Since the debian-cinnamon mailing list seems to be followed by near nobody I I'd try to post here.
If you are a cinnamon user on debian and you have advice or opinions to give on the default settings or any customizations to be included in the packages or not try to write here.

Edit:
Specific questions for the users:
- the event sounds as disabled by default, only 1-2 users in years require them to be enabled in packaging FWIR, you would like to have them or prefer that they remain disabled?
- do you think it is useful to have mint-themes (https://github.com/linuxmint/mint-themes) in debian too?

Possible stable updates:
for bullseye stable proposed release there is this fix for cinnamon in queue for now: https://salsa.debian.org/cinnamon-team/ ... c429cff79d (add upstream patch that solves a crash adding an online account with login on web component Closes: #1001536)
if there are other important fixes to try to do a proposed stable updates (not only cinnamon itself but any of its components...) please tell me

Thanks for any reply and sorry for my bad english.

31/12/21:
5.2 packages are in experimental, if someone want help to test them, thanks to Norbert for upload them

09/01/21:
blueberry will be uploaded (except for unforeseen events), for now is a work in progress: https://salsa.debian.org/cinnamon-team/blueberry

17/02/22:
blueberry seems not needed anymore, mint upstream started contributing blueman (https://github.com/linuxmint/blueman) and 2 clem commits was already applied upstream
5.2 packages are now in unstable/testing and also other bugfixes was uploaded, thanks to Christoph Martin, new DD in the cinnamon team that did the uploads

Mailing list: https://lists.debian.org/debian-cinnamon/
IRC: irc://irc.debian.org/debian-cinnamon
Matrix: https://matrix.to/#/#debian-cinnamon:ma ... ian.social
Last edited by Fantu on 2022-07-20 13:30, edited 7 times in total.

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Status of cinnamon in debian and future development

#2 Post by canci »

Thanks for your work. I hope you'll find more contributors to help you out.

I was always wondering why the bluetooth GUI called Blueberry that's used over at Linux Mint and also in the Cinnamon Arch packages isn't available in Linux. It seemed a bit less wonky than Blueman.
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

Fantu

#3 Post by Fantu »

@canci thanks for your reply, I not used bluetooth recently but I remember that some years ago it seemed to me too little supported and with more issue blueberry and therefore it was not worth investing the time to add it and keep it in place of blueman. Or I'm wrong?
Norbert already started to prepare it (https://salsa.debian.org/cinnamon-team/blueberry) and also joshua did a MR, if you confirm that it is significantly better when I'll have time, maybe I will review it and prepare it for a possible addition.

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by canci »

It was better when I used it on Linux Mint years ago compared to Blueman. Not really sure if that's really still the case. If you say that blueman is better now, I'll have to believe you. I was more wondering about why it wasn't present in Debian. Thanks, for the insight.
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

Fantu

#5 Post by Fantu »

not having used bluetooth for a long time and having used it very little my evaluation may not be reliable enough, thanks for your opinion canci. If other users want to give their opinion, go ahead.

Legion99

#6 Post by Legion99 »

I have just, as in the last 24 hours returned to Debian after about 10 years. Woody was my first attempt but I think my inexperience killed too many installations as I fiddled with, usually my main nemesis, networking and wireless. I then went to openSUSE and used it very successfully for many years until the windowization of KDE drove me away. I tried a few other distros before settling on Mint with Cinnamon. I found it to be excellent. Stable, usable, customizable for an every day machine. The Ubuntu connection annoyed me though and I began to toy with the idea of LDME instead. Imagine my surprise then only a few days ago when I discovered Debian 11 with Cinnamon. Why, I thought, use a derivative when I can return to the mothership. Which is exactly what I did and am now happily running on an HP ProBook. All bells and whistles, everything working exactly as it should. I have been using / playing with / experimenting / stuffing up with Linux since the original independent SuSE 4.2. I honestly think Debian with Cinnamon is probably the best combination of Linux yet, for many, many reasons. This IMHO should be the focus of future Debian releases and the standard desktop for Debian. Just my 10c worth and no doubt open to criticism, but I have used many distros and at this point feel I have come home at last. Oh, and if you could come up with something apart from Network Manager, that would be great.

Eirikr1848

#7 Post by Eirikr1848 »

Hello! I recently rediscovered the joy of Debian after not having used it since "wheezy". Cinnamon is amazing and I wish I knew what to do to help you out! I have a Raspberry Pi 2B+, an Intel Compute Stick (1st gen), an i3-3717U NUC, and a Ryzen 5 5600X desktop.

All of which are using Cinnamon with Adwaita dark, and a theme with transparency for the dock/bar.

Everything works so well and looks so good -- I don't even need Mint and all the extra packages!

-----

To be honest, the themes that are available now seem to be "good enough" though perhaps if Mint Themes were available as an additional download -- or a fork like debian-minty-themes or something that would be neat. I would want it as an option, not as something mandatory especially when I'm low on space and resources but still have mesa or proprietary GPU drivers with decent HW acceleration.
----

I do not use Bluetooth so cannot offer my "noob input" there. bluez was always cool. Not sure if that's a thing.
----

Sounds... keep 'em disabled. For exampe, MATE has sounds on and it bugs the buckets out of me when I forget to turn the volume down after listening to a Podcast or watching a video and then "BLOIIP!" blasts through the room.
-----

Anyway, let me know if there is anything you need me to do, or if you need to use the CPU time on the 5600X (or distributed computing and use CPU/GPU time on everything?)

Fantu

#8 Post by Fantu »

thanks for replies

some updates:
- 5.2 packages are now in unstable/testing and also other bugfixes was uploaded, thanks to Christoph Martin, new DD in the cinnamon team that did the uploads
- blueberry seems not needed anymore, mint upstream started contributing blueman (https://github.com/linuxmint/blueman) and 2 clem commits was already applied upstream

MarceloV

#9 Post by MarceloV »

I just started using Debian after many years using Ubuntu/Mint (but only Mint for the last 5 years).
The first thing I did was to clone Mint Themes/Icons, enable sudo and PATH to /sbin and user/sbin.
Do you have tickets (not sure how Debian tracks User-Stories/Bugs) for the help you need for Cinnamon?
Thanks for all your work... fantastic Debian supports this nice DM.
Last edited by MarceloV on 2022-03-15 23:29, edited 1 time in total.

Fantu

#10 Post by Fantu »

thanks for your reply, about bugs can be reported on debian bugtracker of specific component, about user stories or suggestions about debian packages you can write here or debian-cinnamon mailing list

Legion99

#11 Post by Legion99 »

My experience: Debian 11 w/- Cinnamon, Blueman DOES NOT WORK. I have spent hours trying to get it to work, it 'sees' the remote device but will not connect. It will not display the pairing number, ever, so gives up after a couple of minutes of trying. Finally I deleted Blueman and installed Blueberry, instant connection on a number of different devices, phones, mice, headphones. No problem at all. Also Blueberry is the default in LMDE 5 Cinnamon and works fine there as well, as far as the live version is concerned anyway.
Image Deb 12 w/- Cinnamon, B550M Pro4 AM4, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / RAM 32GB / SSD 260GB / 4TB hdd + HP ProBook 450 G1.

Fantu

#12 Post by Fantu »

cinnamon 5.4 packages are now in experimental, in 5.4 there is a bug muffin rebase (after over 10 years), minor cjs rebase and many other changes.
Notes:
can be considered still a "beta" with many bugs due mainly to major changes, but upstream developers already did a big works fixing many bugs already and some other are solved in git and will be released with next bugfix versions
some packages with only version dump or minor changes and minor packaging changes was already uploaded to unstable as don't require strict deps and should don't have significant risk of bugs

Fantu

#13 Post by Fantu »

cinnamon 5.4 is now in unstable/testing, big amount of fixes was done upstream with latest versions
I also started prepare mint themes and icons that probably will be added as requested by some users but will not be setted as default, only make them available in official repo for easy/fast install them if users want, what do you think?
about nemo extensions probably some will be added, what are the extensions you already use and/or would like available in the repository to use them?