Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Disabling multiqueue I/O schedulers using a kernel parameter is not working in debian11

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
Malathi

Disabling multiqueue I/O schedulers using a kernel parameter is not working in debian11

#1 Post by Malathi »

Hi,
Since from kernel version 5.0 onwards multiqueue I/O scheduling is enabled by default.
We wanted to disable it in our environment using the below kernel parameter:
scsi_mod.use_blk_mq=0

Seems it doesn't work as expected.Please refer screenshot for more details
Screenshot from 2021-12-21 17-30-48.png
Screenshot from 2021-12-21 17-30-48.png (74.82 KiB) Viewed 9324 times
Any help would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

Bloom
df -h | grep > 90TiB
df -h | grep > 90TiB

Re: Disabling multiqueue I/O schedulers using a kernel parameter is not working in debian11

#2 Post by Bloom »

As root:

Code: Select all

echo none >/sys/block/sda/queue/scheduler
You need to repeat that every time you reboot the system. So you can put this in something like /etc/rc.local or use a kernel parameter:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="elevator=noop"
in /etc/default/grub
Add the command to the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX line which has other parameters and values and do not copy and paste what you see above.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Disabling multiqueue I/O schedulers using a kernel parameter is not working in debian11

#3 Post by sunrat »

Please post terminal output as text in CODE tags rather than a huge image.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by CwF »

Bloom wrote: 2021-12-21 13:59 You need to repeat that every time you reboot the system. So you can put this in something like /etc/rc.local or use a kernel parameter:
Should be able to use /etc/sysfs.d/ or /etc/sysfs.conf.

Malathi

#5 Post by Malathi »

Thanks for the response.

Have read something like below in an article for HDD

"Avoid using the none/noop I/O schedulers for a HDD as sorting requests on block addresses reduce the seek time latencies and neither of these I/O schedulers support this feature."

As we are using HDD, tried to disable and fall back to the non-multiqueue I/O schedulers using a kernel parameter "scsi_mod.use_blk_mq=0"
The output should be "deadline none" . But it doesn't working in Debian11

Any idea why this parameter is not working as expected in Debian11?

Bloom
df -h | grep > 90TiB
df -h | grep > 90TiB

#6 Post by Bloom »

Not every hardware supports every type of scheduler. Your screenshot shows mq-deadline as the default and none as the only two available options. Choose none for usb-media or ssd and mq-deadline for hard disks.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#7 Post by p.H »

Malathi wrote: 2021-12-22 06:46 Any idea why this parameter is not working as expected in Debian11?
AFAICS, the module scsi_mod in Debian kernel 5.10 does not support the parameter use_blk_mq any more. You can check with

modinfo -p scsi_mod
CwF wrote: 2021-12-22 03:34 Should be able to use /etc/sysfs.d/ or /etc/sysfs.conf.
This requires package sysfsutils, not sure it is installed by default.

Or one may use a udev rule triggered when the drive is added. Something like

ACTION=="add", KERNEL=="sda", ATTR{queue/scheduler}="none"
(not tested)