Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Has Debian its own version of Linux Kernel?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
Diesel330

#1 Post by Diesel330 »

I saw this question in the Stack Exchange:
https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... inux-libre
And they claim there that Debian developing its own kernel. I had the impression that all Linux distributions use kernels developed by the Linux foundation, isn't that true?

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Has Debian its own version of Linux Kernel?

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Diesel330 wrote: 2022-06-12 09:32they claim there that Debian developing its own kernel
No, they don't.
Diesel330 wrote: 2022-06-12 09:32I had the impression that all Linux distributions use kernels developed by the Linux foundation, isn't that true?
Yes. That's why they're called "Linux" distributions.

The "Libre" kernel is also developed from the kernel.org source code but that version is deliberately (and pointlessly) crippled so it's users can't make new wifi cards work and their CPUs are all unstable and vulnerable to known exploits. Don't use the "Libre" kernel, it's bad.
deadbang

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#3 Post by canci »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote: 2022-06-12 09:54 vulnerable to known exploits
I'm curious if you have a source for that. Or at least, what do you base this on? Can I assume it's similar to e.g. the way GNU Icecat is constantly lagging behind upstream Firefox?
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

AFAIUI the Linux-Libre kernel cannot load CPU microcode. Most modern CPUs require the microcode fixes because they're crap.

EDIT: and I describe the de-blobbing as "pointless" because any hardware that doesn't load non-free firmware from the operating system has it implanted at the factory instead (look up Stuxnet). This is even true for CoreBoot systems. The battle is lost.
Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick on 2022-06-12 10:01, edited 1 time in total.
deadbang

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#5 Post by canci »

Thanks.

The microcode thing does make sense. I haven't considered this.
Thus libre kernels maybe only for stuff that's already librebooted or similar.
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#6 Post by steve_v »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote: 2022-06-12 09:58Stuxnet
To be fair, stuxnet targeted the firmware on siemens PLCs, which is a rather different kettle of fish to your otherwise FOSS PC loading blobs for a bargain-basement wireless chip. The "firmware" on a PLC is effectively a proprietary real-time OS, and usually runs on proprietary silicon as well.
The windows (and wetware) vulerabilities it leveraged to get a connection to said PLC in the first place are rather more mundane, and as is distressingly common in industrial automation, once you're on such a network it's pretty much game-over.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

Head_on_a_Stick

#7 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Yes but the firmware controllers on hard drives are certainly capable of hosting malware: https://www.kaspersky.co.uk/blog/equati ... ware/6886/

And the new super-fast memory chips also use embedded firmware in their controllers: https://www.devever.net/~hl/omi
deadbang

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#8 Post by canci »

Do we get hard disk firmware updates on Linux?

READ THIS:

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#9 Post by steve_v »

canci wrote: 2022-06-12 10:46 Do we get hard disk firmware updates on Linux?
I have flashed HDD and SSD firmware before, but it's certainly not something that gets loaded by the OS on a regular basis... And IME booting DOS (or properly, a manufacturers DOS based boot disk) is the only way to do it.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

Head_on_a_Stick

#10 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

canci wrote: 2022-06-12 10:46 Do we get hard disk firmware updates on Linux?
See https://wiki.debian.org/Firmware/Updates

I use fwupd for my ThinkPad.
deadbang

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#11 Post by canci »

Thanks. I'll check if this is viable for my devices. I know that Thinkpads and similar business devices usually have fwupd support, but not sure about my Asus laptop.

READ THIS:

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#12 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

The answer can be YES, because Debian is patching the upstream kernel code -> here You have a "list" of changes:
https://salsa.debian.org/kernel-team/li ... hes/bugfix

However, the answer could be also NO: those patches are *usually* bugfixes and security updates which are back-ported from latest upstream kernels.

So, while Debian is a GNU/Linux distribution, there can be differences in the kernel code.

Head_on_a_Stick wrote: 2022-06-12 09:58The battle is lost.
... only when You give up ;)
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed

Diesel330

#13 Post by Diesel330 »

LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote: 2022-06-13 20:30
The answer can be YES, because Debian is patching the upstream kernel code -> here You have a "list" of changes:
https://salsa.debian.org/kernel-team/li ... hes/bugfix

However, the answer could be also NO: those patches are *usually* bugfixes and security updates which are back-ported from latest upstream kernels.

So, while Debian is a GNU/Linux distribution, there can be differences in the kernel code.

Head_on_a_Stick wrote: 2022-06-12 09:58The battle is lost.
... only when You give up ;)
Nice to hear that Debian community also take care the kernel or peer review it, good to know

user6c57b8

#14 Post by user6c57b8 »

Some statistics (FACTS) comparing the Debian Stable kernel source VS Linus' Github Linux kernel source clone

Code: Select all

find src-linux-kernel-debian/linux-5.10.106/  -type f | wc -l #Debian 11.3 (stable/bullseye)

find src-linux-kernel-linus/linux/ -type f | wc -l

diff --recursive --report-identical-files src-linux-kernel-linus/linux/ src-linux-kernel-debian/linux-5.10.106/ | egrep 'are identical$' | wc -l

ls -l src-linux-kernel-linus/ | tail -1 | awk '{print $6, $7, $8}'
Jun 16 09:26

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#15 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

While the difference in number of "identical" files looks impressive, this does not show the real picture - simply because it counts all the files with different content (with the resolution of a single byte), but such files usually contain the same source code - the differences are mostly in comments and newlines.
Of course, it can be counted as a "different version" of the kernel - but I have a mixed feelings about this.

Anyway, no matter of how the differences are measured, Debian is an unique OS - the Universal OS ;)

Regards.
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed

natewrench

#16 Post by natewrench »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote: 2022-06-12 09:54
Diesel330 wrote: 2022-06-12 09:32they claim there that Debian developing its own kernel
No, they don't.
Diesel330 wrote: 2022-06-12 09:32I had the impression that all Linux distributions use kernels developed by the Linux foundation, isn't that true?
Yes. That's why they're called "Linux" distributions.

The "Libre" kernel is also developed from the kernel.org source code but that version is deliberately (and pointlessly) crippled so it's users can't make new wifi cards work and their CPUs are all unstable and vulnerable to known exploits. Don't use the "Libre" kernel, it's bad.
I am using trisquel gnu Linux libre and it's not bad it's just as fast as regular gnu Linux based on Ubuntu though eh I'm more on Debian. But it's supposed to be entire freedom as in everything is auditable in the os, pure freedom which I took to being more secure than blobs. In terms of device support it sucks but I got it working, I am paranoid that all firmware that is obscured is bad

Head_on_a_Stick

#17 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

natewrench wrote: 2022-06-26 23:30 I am paranoid that all firmware that is obscured is bad
Well yes but the CPU microcode is needed for Spectre & Meltdown mitigation, amongst other things.

You might want to check /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/ to see if your box is wide open in that (limited) respect at least.

Intel Haswell processors are fundamentally unstable without the µcode fixes.
deadbang