Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Do you use nouveau in bullseye for a legacy graphics card?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
kedaha

Do you use nouveau in bullseye for a legacy graphics card?

#1 Post by kedaha »

I'd be interested to know, if you use bullseye:
1. Do you have such a graphics card? On my present machine I have the NVIDIA G98 [GeForce 8400]
2. Do you use the nouveau driver? Yes.
3. What desktop environment? mate-desktop-environment
4. What is the performance of your card like with nouveau? Have you done any tweaks?
I'm pretty satisfied with the performance of my old graphics card, which is OK for my purposes but of course, if I wanted to use, for example, more resource-intensive software like the kde-plasma-desktop or play certain games, I think it'd be a different matter. And using such an old graphics card frees me from any temptation to install the non-free blob or echo Linus' famous expletive, which is similar to the fsck command, "Fsck nVidia!", but which I won't repeat here for fear of offending any tender sensibilities. :wink:
I had a few freezes when using firefox-esr after I upgraded to bullseye but these seem to have gone after a few tweaks:
I'm still not sure exactly what caused the freezes but I haven't had any since installing firmware-misc-nonfree and firmware-realtek and I disabling hardware acceleration in firefox-esr under Settings --> Performance. I also set Content process limit to 6 and a few other things which may or may not've helped like turning off search suggestions.

Code: Select all

$ inxi --graphics |grep Device-1
  Device-1: NVIDIA G98 [GeForce 8400 GS Rev. 2] driver: nouveau v: kernel 
And of course, the following command reports:

# nvidia-detect
Detected NVIDIA GPUs:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation G98 [GeForce 8400 GS Rev. 2] [10de:06e4] (rev a1)

Checking card:  NVIDIA Corporation G98 [GeForce 8400 GS Rev. 2] (rev a1)
Your card is only supported by the 340 legacy drivers series, which is only available up to buster.

$ vrms
               Non-free packages installed on debian

firmware-misc-nonfree               Binary firmware for various drivers in the Linux kerne
firmware-realtek                    Binary firmware for Realtek wired/wifi/BT adapters
nvidia-detect                       NVIDIA GPU detection utility
But I think I'll be able to get rid of the other firmware too.
Thanks for reading this. :)
DebianStable

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

NFT5
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

Re: Do you use nouveau in bullseye for a legacy graphics card?

#2 Post by NFT5 »

kedaha wrote: 2022-02-14 15:19 1. Do you have such a graphics card? On my present machine I have the NVIDIA G98 [GeForce 8400]
3. What desktop environment? mate-desktop-environment
4. What is the performance of your card like with nouveau? Have you done any tweaks?
1. Yes.

$ nvidia-detect
Detected NVIDIA GPUs:
06:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GK208B [GeForce GT 710] [10de:128b] (rev a1)

Checking card:  NVIDIA Corporation GK208B [GeForce GT 710] (rev a1)
2. No. I had all kinds of minor issues after upgrading (fresh installation) to Bullseye, especially on one machine that has an older version of the same card.

$ nvidia-detect
Detected NVIDIA GPUs:
06:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GK208B [GeForce GT 710] [10de:128b] (rev a1)

Checking card:  NVIDIA Corporation GK208B [GeForce GT 710] (rev a1)
Your card is supported by all driver versions.
Your card is also supported by the Tesla 460 drivers series.
Your card is also supported by the Tesla 450 drivers series.
Your card is also supported by the Tesla 418 drivers series.
It is recommended to install the
    nvidia-driver
3. KDE on main desktop, MATE on secondary desktops.

4. I use these computers for work mainly, plus a bit of browsing and video. Some graphics but not really high intensity and no games. Hence the low spec card. With what I'm using now the performance has been very stable and I've done no tweaks. On one machine (Dell i5) the video card feeds a 55" TV and quality is good, even in 4K - but I'm having some issues with sound which is out of sync. Still working on that one.

$ vrms
              Non-free packages installed on MAINDESK

amd64-microcode                     Processor microcode firmware for AMD CPUs
firmware-amd-graphics               Binary firmware for AMD/ATI graphics chips
firmware-linux                      Binary firmware for various drivers in the Linux kerne
firmware-linux-nonfree              Binary firmware for various drivers in the Linux kerne
firmware-misc-nonfree               Binary firmware for various drivers in the Linux kerne
firmware-realtek                    Binary firmware for Realtek wired/wifi/BT adapters
intel-microcode                     Processor microcode firmware for Intel CPUs
libcuda1                            NVIDIA CUDA Driver Library
libegl-nvidia0                      NVIDIA binary EGL library
libgl1-nvidia-glvnd-glx             NVIDIA binary OpenGL/GLX library (GLVND variant)
libgles-nvidia1                     NVIDIA binary OpenGL|ES 1.x library
libgles-nvidia2                     NVIDIA binary OpenGL|ES 2.x library
libglx-nvidia0                      NVIDIA binary GLX library
libnvcuvid1                         NVIDIA CUDA Video Decoder runtime library
libnvidia-cbl                       NVIDIA binary Vulkan ray tracing (cbl) library
libnvidia-cfg1                      NVIDIA binary OpenGL/GLX configuration library
libnvidia-eglcore                   NVIDIA binary EGL core libraries
libnvidia-encode1                   NVENC Video Encoding runtime library
libnvidia-glcore                    NVIDIA binary OpenGL/GLX core libraries
libnvidia-glvkspirv                 NVIDIA binary Vulkan Spir-V compiler library
libnvidia-ml1                       NVIDIA Management Library (NVML) runtime library
libnvidia-ptxjitcompiler1           NVIDIA PTX JIT Compiler library
libnvidia-rtcore                    NVIDIA binary Vulkan ray tracing (rtcore) library
nvidia-alternative                  allows the selection of NVIDIA as GLX provider
nvidia-detect                       NVIDIA GPU detection utility
nvidia-driver                       NVIDIA metapackage
nvidia-driver-bin                   NVIDIA driver support binaries
nvidia-driver-libs                  NVIDIA metapackage (OpenGL/GLX/EGL/GLES libraries)
nvidia-egl-common                   NVIDIA binary EGL driver - common files
nvidia-egl-icd                      NVIDIA EGL installable client driver (ICD)
nvidia-kernel-dkms                  NVIDIA binary kernel module DKMS source
nvidia-kernel-support               NVIDIA binary kernel module support files
nvidia-legacy-check                 check for NVIDIA GPUs requiring a legacy driver
nvidia-smi                          NVIDIA System Management Interface
nvidia-vdpau-driver                 Video Decode and Presentation API for Unix - NVIDIA dr
nvidia-vulkan-common                NVIDIA Vulkan driver - common files
nvidia-vulkan-icd                   NVIDIA Vulkan installable client driver (ICD)
xserver-xorg-video-nvidia           NVIDIA binary Xorg driver

Contrib packages installed on MAINDESK

glx-alternative-mesa                allows the selection of MESA as GLX provider
glx-alternative-nvidia              allows the selection of NVIDIA as GLX provider
glx-diversions                      prepare for using accelerated GLX implementations from
iucode-tool                         Intel processor microcode tool
nvidia-installer-cleanup            cleanup after driver installation with the nvidia-inst
nvidia-kernel-common                NVIDIA binary kernel module support files
nvidia-modprobe                     utility to load NVIDIA kernel modules and create devic
nvidia-persistenced                 daemon to maintain persistent software state in the NV
nvidia-settings                     tool for configuring the NVIDIA graphics driver
nvidia-support                      NVIDIA binary graphics driver support files
ttf-mscorefonts-installer           Installer for Microsoft TrueType core fonts
update-glx                          utility for switching the GLX implementation
virtualbox-6.1                      Oracle VM VirtualBox

38 non-free packages, 1.5% of 2588 installed packages.
  13 contrib packages, 0.5% of 2588 installed packages.
While I'd prefer not to use contrib and non-free the object is to have working machines and if I have to, I will.

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#3 Post by Aki »

Hi,
You could experience suspend/resume issues, but a workaround is available (see https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... =989705#30).
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by sunrat »

I used Nouveau for a few years with a GTX560Ti. For some weird reason I never discovered despite searching for hours and trying a few possible solutions, Nvidia driver would glitch out after a couple of days uptime and freeze desktop with a scrambled screen, whereas Nouveau was totally stable. That computer is retired now.
Have had GTX970 for ~6 years now and Nvidia driver is rock solid with that one. Runs a 4K monitor for which the rendering, particularly text, is noticeably better than Nouveau.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#5 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

Nouveau usually lags behind proprietary nvidia drivers in terms of support for newest HW and features.
Fsck NVidia! ;)

$>lspci | grep VGA
0d:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM107 [GeForce GTX 750 Ti] (rev a2)
Nouveau works like a charm with reclocking enabled :D
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed

kedaha

#6 Post by kedaha »

Aki wrote: 2022-02-15 07:12 Hi,
You could experience suspend/resume issues, but a workaround is available (see https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... =989705#30).
Thanks for that. Funnily enough, the other day when using jitsi, suddenly a phrase started getting repeated, then the video froze and the machine crashed, i.e., powered off. I know that this and previous freezes were caused by the video card because with a different radeon card, with proprietary firmware, there are no such issues.
Well, having read your post I added the parameter given in the bug report, which mentions freezes, to /etc/default/grub:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="no_console_suspend nouveau.debug=warn init_on_alloc=0"
And so far so good: No crashes yet so the parameter may be good not only for resume and suspend but also perhaps to prevent freezes in my mate-desktop-environment using firefox-esr, but I have yet to put the card through it's paces.
DebianStable

$ vrms

jmgibson1981

#7 Post by jmgibson1981 »

I do not. The wife plays Minecraft and I use it as a Steam streaming client. The performance is less than half of it's proprietary counterpart. I'd rather use the nouveau if I could but the hit is to big. I'm not sure if a GT730 counts as legacy but either way the above holds true.

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#8 Post by canci »

I won't touch anything nvidia with a 10-foot pole, but I've recently upgraded my mum's old laptop, which has an G105M that's not supported by the proprietary drivers anymore. Instead, she's on the latest Linux Mint with Nouveau, and... it runs better! xD Allegedly, it should have power management issues according to the mesa driver matrix, but everything works fine and is snappier than before. Weird.
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

kedaha

#9 Post by kedaha »

$ nvidia-detect
Detected NVIDIA GPUs:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GT218 [GeForce 210] [10de:0a65] (rev a2)

Checking card:  NVIDIA Corporation GT218 [GeForce 210] (rev a2)
Your card is only supported by the 340 legacy drivers series, which is only available up to buster.
Can confirm this pci graphics card is working fine with nouveau. There were a few freezes initially but editing /etc/default/grub as detailed in #p750667 has done the trick and they haven't reoccurred since then and it's going like the clappers.
DebianStable

$ vrms

piperdan

#10 Post by piperdan »

1. Do you have such a graphics card? NVIDIA GF108GLM
3. What desktop environment? Gnome - X11 windowing system
4. What is the performance of your card like with nouveau? No problems at all, but I don't do any gaming.
Have you done any tweaks? Nope.

danny@debian:~$ inxi --graphics |grep Device-1
  Device-1: NVIDIA GF108GLM [NVS 5200M] driver: nouveau v: kernel

Graphics:
  Device-1: NVIDIA GF108GLM [NVS 5200M] driver: nouveau v: kernel 
  Device-2: Microdia Dell Integrated HD Webcam type: USB driver: uvcvideo 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.11 driver: loaded: modesetting 
  unloaded: fbdev,vesa resolution: 1366x768~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: NVC1 v: 4.3 Mesa 20.3.5

michaeltg

#11 Post by michaeltg »

For what it's worth, here are my two cents:

I experienced freezes of my desktop environment (occurring at random but on average one every 2-3 hours) when nouveau was set as the driver of my graphics card.

Device-1: NVIDIA GK208B [GeForce GT 710] driver: nouveau v: kernel
These freezes ceased when I installed package nvidia-driver, which was suggested via nvidia-detect.

Device-1: NVIDIA GK208B [GeForce GT 710] driver: nvidia v: 470.129.06
What role the packages firmware-misc-nonfree and firmware-realtek played in resolving the freezes, I cannot say, but I did install these packages as well.

zorzi

#12 Post by zorzi »

Hello,

My graphic card is a Nvidia 9500 GT. I bought it last year because it was supposed to be one of the best GPU working without non-free firmwares and drivers (according to the following links).

https://trisquel.info/fr/forum/nvidia-o ... ment-24126

https://h-node.org/videocards/catalogue ... mit=Search

No freezes at all. There is no really other choice than using Nouveau, since nvidia-driver 340 is no more available in Bullseye.

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#13 Post by Aki »

zorzi wrote: 2022-08-07 06:04 No freezes at all. There is no really other choice than using Nouveau, since nvidia-driver 340 is no more available in Bullseye.
Did you try to suspend to ram to test if it resumes correctly ?
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⠈⠳⣄⠀

zorzi

#14 Post by zorzi »

Aki wrote: 2022-08-07 10:19
zorzi wrote: 2022-08-07 06:04 No freezes at all. There is no really other choice than using Nouveau, since nvidia-driver 340 is no more available in Bullseye.
Sorry, what do you mean exactly ?

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#15 Post by Aki »

zorzi wrote: 2022-08-07 18:05
have you ever tried to shut down your computer using the suspend (suspend to ram) option?
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⠈⠳⣄⠀

zorzi

#16 Post by zorzi »

Aki wrote: 2022-08-08 07:31
zorzi wrote: 2022-08-07 18:05
have you ever tried to shut down your computer using the suspend (suspend to ram) option?
Well, you're right. I never use it but I now remember having trouble with suspend option in the past. Confirmed with trying a few minutes ago... Computer can't dive in/get out suspend state... Is there a workaround for that ?

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#17 Post by Aki »

zorzi wrote: 2022-08-08 14:32 Well, you're right. I never use it but I now remember having trouble with suspend option in the past. Confirmed with trying a few minutes ago... Computer can't dive in/get out suspend state... Is there a workaround for that ?
Yes: see https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... =989705#30 .
A work in progress kernel patch is also available: see https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... =989705#64
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⠈⠳⣄⠀

zorzi

#18 Post by zorzi »

Thanks. I'm gonna have a look at this.