"Free as in Free Beer" Hardware /home

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
andrewrogers

Re: "Free as in Free Beer" Hardware /home

#21 Post by andrewrogers »

/tmp wrote:
andrewrogers wrote:As long as OpenGL 2 works, I'll take it! 2 works, right?
According to page 3 of the PDF found here it does :)

andrewrogers wrote:This would be a great idea. I would love to contribute hardware if others would help with shipping.
Here are some things I have pondered recently in regards to making this idea a reality.

1.) Utilize the hardware database at h-node.org which is licensed under the Public Domain.

2.) Figure out how to apply for 501 (c) (3) status as a public charity

According to the IRS Instruction 1023 (Rev. June 2012), we can create a constitution or "Articles of Association."

I found a page with links to sample organizing documents which could be used as a basis for this project.

3.) I also wanted to start a collaborative community project to write a series of books under the GNU Free Documentation License on how to maintain and troubleshoot hardware issues on Free Software systems.

I even thought of a nifty potential slogan: "Free as in Freedom and Free as in Free Gear."
If you can help with some of the legal stuff, I'll start designing a site! :wink: I'm alright at designing sites.
#BOXES
Ivy Bridge 3570K + 32GB of RAM (INTEL 4000)
Core 2 Extreme (X9100!) Latitude E6400 + 8GB of RAM (Quadro NVS 160M)
Northwood P4 Latitude + 1.25GB of RAM (Radeon 7500)
Mac Mini G4 (1.5GHz!) + 1GB of RAM (Radeon 9200)
TiBook G4 + 1GB of RAM (Rad 9200)

andrewrogers

#22 Post by andrewrogers »

acewiza wrote:I don't wish to burden anyone with the frustration that would surely ensue attempting to utilize my old junk.
How old are we talkin'?
#BOXES

/tmp

#23 Post by /tmp »

andrewrogers wrote:If you can help with some of the legal stuff, I'll start designing a site! :wink: I'm alright at designing sites.
Cool :) I can also help out; I build websites as contract work in addition to my multimedia projects.
Buster | Intel I5-3380M | Dell Latitude e6530 Laptop | 4 GB RAM | Intel HD Graphics 4000

"To check for updates, you must first install an update for Windows Update."

andrewrogers

#24 Post by andrewrogers »

/tmp wrote:
andrewrogers wrote:If you can help with some of the legal stuff, I'll start designing a site! :wink: I'm alright at designing sites.
Cool :) I can also help out; I build websites as contract work in addition to my multimedia projects.
Are you any good at server-side interaction or forms? I'm terrible at that, but I could probably pick it up quite quickly...

The question is, where would we host it?
#BOXES

/tmp

#25 Post by /tmp »

andrewrogers wrote:
/tmp wrote:
Are you any good at server-side interaction or forms? I'm terrible at that, but I could probably pick it up quite quickly...
I'm currently learning a lot of the back-end stuff as I've spent the majority of my time with front-end web development.
In terms of interaction and forms I've found some interesting entries in my Perl and PHP books about various ways to do said actions.
After some much needed research on my end I will let you know what I come up with :)
andrewrogers wrote:The question is, where would we host it?
I have a professional hosting account at, appropriately enough, debian-hosting.com :)
Buster | Intel I5-3380M | Dell Latitude e6530 Laptop | 4 GB RAM | Intel HD Graphics 4000

andrewrogers

#26 Post by andrewrogers »

/tmp wrote: I'm currently learning a lot of the back-end stuff as I've spent the majority of my time with front-end web development.
In terms of interaction and forms I've found some interesting entries in my Perl and PHP books about various ways to do said actions.
After some much needed research on my end I will let you know what I come up with :)
andrewrogers wrote:The question is, where would we host it?
I have a professional hosting account at, appropriately enough, debian-hosting.com :)
Good stuff! :P
#BOXES

/tmp

#27 Post by /tmp »

How far back should we go in terms of CPUs/processors? I'm scrapping my aunt's AMD AM2 machine due to a dead motherboard. Since this is a legacy OEM product from Gateway replacement parts are hard to find/expensive.

If anyone thinks AM2 are worth listing as available, I have an AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Windsor 2.0GHz Socket AM2 89W Dual-Core Processor ADA3800CUBOX :)

paulcs

#28 Post by paulcs »

I would like some ddr2 ram if you got any. My laptop only has 2 gb ram and definitely would like to try and increase it to say like 4 gb ram. If possible....
Debian Testing Wheezy XFCE 4.8 amd64 bit 1.5 ghz quad-core 6gb ram 750 gb hd laptop.

andrewrogers

#29 Post by andrewrogers »

/tmp wrote:How far back should we go in terms of CPUs/processors? I'm scrapping my aunt's AMD AM2 machine due to a dead motherboard. Since this is a legacy OEM product from Gateway replacement parts are hard to find/expensive.

If anyone thinks AM2 are worth listing as available, I have an AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Windsor 2.0GHz Socket AM2 89W Dual-Core Processor ADA3800CUBOX :)

Anything that supports SATA should be pretty good. AM2 machines aren't too bad.
#BOXES

andrewrogers

#30 Post by andrewrogers »

paulcs wrote:I would like some ddr2 ram if you got any. My laptop only has 2 gb ram and definitely would like to try and increase it to say like 4 gb ram. If possible....
I don't know if I have the right capacity for your needs.
#BOXES

herpygumbo

#31 Post by herpygumbo »

Any of you guys have a spare SATA hard drive? It's for a lenovo think station that I'm gonna sell. I have no use for it and I'm struggleing for money.
So can you tell me what exactly does freedom mean if I'm not free to be as twisted as I wanna be?

/tmp

#32 Post by /tmp »

andrewrogers wrote:
/tmp wrote:How far back should we go in terms of CPUs/processors? I'm scrapping my aunt's AMD AM2 machine due to a dead motherboard. Since this is a legacy OEM product from Gateway replacement parts are hard to find/expensive.

Anything that supports SATA should be pretty good. AM2 machines aren't too bad.
Jolly good because I just inherited another AM2 CPU.

/tmp

#33 Post by /tmp »

ProfessorFarnsworth wrote:Good news, everyone!
I just bought a GIGABYTE AM3+ GA-990FXA-UD3 motherboard on eBay for a stupid-cheap price; the board is brand new but the user did not know how to flash a BIOS so they sold it "as-is." :roll: :lol:

With that being said I can list the motherboard in my signature -- i.e. GIGABYTE AM3 GA-MA78LMT-S2 -- if anyone is interested in said board. The only issue I have with this board is that one of the SATA ports fell off, so I only have 3 SATA ports on-board. Other than that, it works fine with Free Software :)
herpygumbo wrote:Any of you guys have a spare SATA hard drive? It's for a lenovo think station that I'm gonna sell. I have no use for it and I'm struggleing for money.
Do you still have the lenovo? I may, in fact, have a spare SATA drive for you :)

shirish

#34 Post by shirish »

/tmp wrote:
I just bought a GIGABYTE AM3+ GA-990FXA-UD3 motherboard on eBay for a stupid-cheap price; the board is brand new but the user did not know how to flash a BIOS so they sold it "as-is." :roll: :lol:

With that being said I can list the motherboard in my signature -- i.e. GIGABYTE AM3 GA-MA78LMT-S2 -- if anyone is interested in said board. The only issue I have with this board is that one of the SATA ports fell off, so I only have 3 SATA ports on-board. Other than that, it works fine with Free Software :)
herpygumbo wrote:Any of you guys have a spare SATA hard drive? It's for a lenovo think station that I'm gonna sell. I have no use for it and I'm struggleing for money.
Do you still have the lenovo? I may, in fact, have a spare SATA drive for you :)
umm.... that looks tempting. Just went through the specs. http://www.gigabyte.com/products/produc ... id=3583#ov

Onboard Radeon (i.e. GNU/Linux foss drivers, yeah!) and goodiness of DDR3 and SATA 2 (the specs. say SATA 3Gb/s storage interface and IIRC SATA 3 is 6 Gb/s ) .

My issue with that board would only be getting an AMD CPU. Getting any sort of AMD CPU's is rare and expensive from where I am (From India, South East Asia) . If you could help would be appreciated. Please lemme know if you can ship it to India (can PM the address). This would primarily be used in education with some low-end gaming.
Intel Dual-Core CPU E5400 (soc 775) @ 2.70GHz, onboard Intel G33, Asus MB P5KPL-AM IN (Intel G31), D-Link 2750u modem+router, 64-bit Debian Testing, GNOME 3.14 Flashback.

/tmp

#35 Post by /tmp »

shirish wrote:
/tmp wrote:

umm.... that looks tempting. Just went through the specs. http://www.gigabyte.com/products/produc ... id=3583#ov

Onboard Radeon (i.e. GNU/Linux foss drivers, yeah!) and goodiness of DDR3 and SATA 2 (the specs. say SATA 3Gb/s storage interface and IIRC SATA 3 is 6 Gb/s ) .

My issue with that board would only be getting an AMD CPU. Getting any sort of AMD CPU's is rare and expensive from where I am (From India, South East Asia) . If you could help would be appreciated. Please lemme know if you can ship it to India (can PM the address). This would primarily be used in education with some low-end gaming.
Currently, I have two AM2 CPUs which I'm going to run through some benchmarks and put up for anyone. I gave away a spare AM3 CPU but I am willing to pick up a new one especially if it is going to be used in a school setting. I've just spent a hilariously large amount of cash on professional audio equipment for contract work I've been doing, so it may be a little while before I can fulfill this. Nonetheless, I will do my part to help :)

geelo

#36 Post by geelo »

Hi,
I'm trying to put together a old system together for my daughter (She's very young but already has a good technical mind like her old man 8) )
I'm very strapped for cash as I am paying for her "big" hospital bills (intestinal defect).

I've been looking around swap shops down here in S.C. and I can not find a old AGP 1.0 or 2.0 video card.. it's for an old Micron PC (P4 Tower). The onboard video card is a bit wonky and having a 1.0 or 2.0 AGP video card installed in this workstation would make things a lot faster and reliable.
Even a higher end PCI video card would be good enough.

Would any of you guys have one in your vast holdings of ancient legacy parts? :wink:

Thank You - Geelo
Vendor Neutral Certified in IT Security, Hardware, Software and Networking... and I am still learning more after 20+ years in IT. ;-)

/tmp

#37 Post by /tmp »

geelo wrote:Hi,
I'm trying to put together a old system together for my daughter (She's very young but already has a good technical mind like her old man 8) )
I'm very strapped for cash as I am paying for her "big" hospital bills (intestinal defect).

I've been looking around swap shops down here in S.C. and I can not find a old AGP 1.0 or 2.0 video card.. it's for an old Micron PC (P4 Tower). The onboard video card is a bit wonky and having a 1.0 or 2.0 AGP video card installed in this workstation would make things a lot faster and reliable.

Would any of you guys have one in your vast holdings of ancient legacy parts? :wink:

Thank You - Geelo
I'm sorry to hear about your daughter. While I no longer have AGP cards, I do have one remaining PCI GPU. Specifically it is an NVIDIA PNY GeForce fx5200 DDR 128 MB card. It features two VGA outputs and an S-Video output. :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4

bw123

#38 Post by bw123 »

geelo wrote:having a 1.0 or 2.0 AGP video card installed in this workstation would make things a lot faster and reliable.

Thank You - Geelo
I'd take the card /tmp is offerring, sounds nice, but i do have a Rage XL agp 1.0 board with 8mb I don't need. It's a 3.3v slot only, one notch towards the connector.

unicornswag

#39 Post by unicornswag »

I wouldn't be posting here unless this was a last resort, but I am currently in need of some PC100 RAM for my old iMac G3. Its current 320 mb is quite low for most desktop tasks, and as I am 17 y/o, a little strapped for cash, and live in a somewhat remote area, my options to get some more memory are limited. An extra 256 mb should be plenty, and 512 would be great, although I dont think G3's will accept more than 1 gb. So if anyone in the US who has some old memory laying around would be kind enough to send me a stick, it would be greatly appreciated. I could definitely reimburse you for shipping costs, probably just mailing the postage would be the easiest. Feel free to send me a PM or post here if you would be willing to help me keep this dinosaur of a machine running Debian for a few more years. Thanks!
Debian 7.1 Wheezy KDE / DWM

2001 600 mhz iMac G3

Ubuntu: An ancient African word meaning "I can't configure Debian."

admoore

#40 Post by admoore »

Someone gave me a Dell opti 745, but gutted the RAM first. If anyone would be willing to send me any amount of DDR2, I promise to give it a good home. I can reimburse shipping, but if you're outside the US it's probably not worth it for either of us. Specs on what it supports are here:
http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/pr ... hspecs.pdf

Appreciate any help.