Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

I love Debian, but...

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
cuckooflew

Re: I love Debian, but...

#21 Post by cuckooflew »

I think that is just plain bad advice, Why are you promoting Windows ? I don't have a dilemma any way.
Besides , I don't even use any distro as my main OS, the OS I use does have all the programs I need, so why would I need something else ? I will answer that myself, I get bored, and that is why I have some linux distros, including Debian, on VM's, they are my tinker toy's, but any way, sorry to hear about your dillema,
what is a dillema any way ? I love Debian, but I like OpenBsd better.
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#22 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

DebbyIan wrote:Best sticking with Windows to ease your dillema.
Obviously this was a joke (I think)

Linux distribution is just an Operating System which is offering a set of pre-compiled binary applications.

Many of the newcomers to Linux are thinking that Linux is similar to Windows -> You can download any crapware without veryfying what it is actually doing with Your PC and with Your data ...

I think that the biggest problem for former Windows users is that they don't understand that Linux-based systems offer a true freedom - and a true freedom can be problematic for people who were born as a slaves ...
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed

cuckooflew

#23 Post by cuckooflew »

Obviously this was a joke (I think)
I think so to, but I would not be able to "stick with windows", since I have never used it on my hardware, unless way back when it was 1.1 , and I did give it a try, I quickly realized that it was not suitable for serious use, and never tried it again, but any way that is another topic all together.
Debian 6 had everything I needed, 7 did too, then 8 and they add things that I don't want or need. so
any way, I loved Debian, but it took a bad turn, so I had to find something else, none of the other distros satisfied me either, any way, I suppose that is another topic as well.
========P.S. FWIW:
Just can't beat it (up-time currently is 81 days).
Yes I can

Code: Select all

~$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Debian
Description:    Debian GNU/Linux 7.6 (wheezy)
Release:        7.6
Codename:       wheezy
cuckooflew@debian:~$ uptime
 13:44:44 up 136 days,  9:34,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.05
cuckooflew@debian:~$  
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#24 Post by cds60601 »

bedtime wrote: 2018-08-21 16:47 Friends and lovers come and go...

But mother will always be there.

He'll be back. :roll:
Indeed - this has come to pass and I have since moved back to Debian. Well played and well said :)
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

MALsPa

#25 Post by MALsPa »

I've been running both Debian and Arch, for quite a few years now. It's been great having both available. They're my two favorite distros, and I can't see myelf dropping either one. It certainly doesn't have to be one or the other.

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#26 Post by cds60601 »

MALsPa wrote: 2021-09-13 01:18 I've been running both Debian and Arch, for quite a few years now. It's been great having both available. They're my two favorite distros, and I can't see myelf dropping either one. It certainly doesn't have to be one or the other.
Oh, Arch hasn't completely been removed. I still have it with my old config in a VM just to keep up with it a bit.
But you are right - I have not had an interest to go after any other distro beside the two mentioned.
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious