Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

New SSD

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
quinton77

New SSD

#1 Post by quinton77 »

Well, I finally broke down and bought an SSD for my aging 32 bit machine. Got a Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB drive. I decided that since my MB only has Sata II, buying the faster 850 PRO wasn't going to buy me much. So, I installed Jessie and have spent much of the day installing software, transferring passwords and bookmarks, etc etc etc. I had thought about using Grsync to restore my /home backup (from Wheezy) to the new Jessie install and then thought, MAYBE BETTER NOT. Might be some gotcha there. Still have the Wheezy install as a backup.

The SSD is perceptibly faster. Boot time is probably about 50%, or less, then the HDD. Of course the SSD and HDD are not the same size but if I am correct, the smaller the SSD the less fast they are (generally speaking). Anyhow, programs launch a lot faster and I am happy, so far, with the install. Don't really care for the Gnome Classic implementation (really don't like the new Gnome at all) so I am running LXDE.

All in all a good day. Stuff yet to do: Install NUT and set up the UPS, install the printer drivers (older printer), and boogie !

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

Re: New SSD

#2 Post by 4D696B65 »

congratulations on the new ssd. I'm sure you will love it. It also will run cooler and quieter. :D

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

quinton77 wrote:Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB drive
I have one of those, I recently swapped out the crappy spinning rust drive from the family laptop and replaced it with that and I am now in Mrs. HoaS' good books :)
deadbang

esp7

#4 Post by esp7 »

Please take the time to correctly configure SSD trim on your machine or your performance will go down over time: https://wiki.debian.org/SSDOptimization

Any reason why you keep running debian wheezy on a non server machine? Debian Stretch and soon Buster will run as smooth and better support SSD trim
ThinkPad X220: i5-2520M CPU 2.5GHz - 8GB RAM 1333 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 250GB - Debian - ME_cleaned
ThinkPad X230: i5-3320M CPU 3.3GHz - 8GB RAM 1600 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 500GB - Debian - ME_cleaned

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Post by sunrat »

esp7 wrote:Please take the time to correctly configure SSD trim on your machine or your performance will go down over time: https://wiki.debian.org/SSDOptimization
None of that matters much with recent model SSDs.
Any reason why you keep running debian wheezy on a non server machine? Debian Stretch and soon Buster will run as smooth and better support SSD trim
OP said they are running Jessie.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!