Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Is it just me...

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
kedaha

Re: Is it just me...

#101 Post by kedaha »

Is it just me... but I see the forum as a welcome space to read posts by other people who, like myself use Debian and find a little respite here from the daily, endless onslaught of news about Covid. I'm glad that there's been hardly any discussion about it here despite the fact it affects us all. I had quite forgotten about Bill Gates until the WHO declared a pandemic on March 11 of this year and was quite surprised to learn afterwards that he had become some kind of world vaccine supremo. But I would far sooner read and perhaps comment on the topics being discussed on this forum. :)
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

stevepusser

#102 Post by stevepusser »

I live in a conservative part of California, and you'd be surprised by the number of whackjobs here that insist that the virus is a hoax and that Bill is taking advantage of it to inject everyone with tracking devices along with the "fake vaccine", ignoring the laws of physics that mean microscopic antennas simply will not work to transmit radio.

I mean, there's already plenty of computer-related reasons to hate him and MS, but this is not one.
MX Linux packager and developer

golinux

#103 Post by golinux »

The Gates Foundation is no stranger to those of us who have been dealing with the GMO debacle for decades. Bill is out to capture world agriculture for corporate profit and in the process is destroying local agricultural systems and communities. AGRA Watch is keeping track of the shenanigans in Africa.
May the FORK be with you!

kedaha

#104 Post by kedaha »

Out of idle curiosity I did a search for keywords for "debain" on this site which resulted in:
Search found 1510 matches: +debain
Perhaps a Debian spin-off distro called "debain" should be made with it's own forum called "Debain User Forums."
I have now increased the count to 1514
"windoze" currently stands at 687 matches: +windoze and
"windblows" only 32 matches.
So "debain" is the out-and-out winner.
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#105 Post by sunrat »

Haha yeah, I often wonder if they approach administration of their computer with the same care they take in posting. I'm certainly less inclined to help anyone who writes "debain". (1515 now :mrgreen: )
And that person starting with "h" who has well over 400 posts, none for which a search has been performed prior, needs to be ignored by everyone. I stopped replying to them at least 100 posts ago.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Deb-fan

#106 Post by Deb-fan »

^ Really think he's a convo-bot, never bother even reading anything he/it posts. Errrr ... also I may be the other guy on Sunrat's ignore list, so he might not see this, lmfao. :D

Errrr I actually do use the ignore list now, never used to do it and since I'll often pop into the forum without signing in, needless to say it's not all that effective. Per usual with an evergrowing list of nixers I just pretty much scroll past anything they post, that ALWAYS works, scrolling will never let you down. Anyway, also came to vent a bit ... As follows. :)
I've come up with a project which I think may be vital to technology, here's the outline of what I have in mind. We must develop something whereas remotely, when certain codes are entered and buttons pushed, a large digital fist comes out of a computer monitor and punches the person sitting in front of the targeted terminal in their stupid face.

Just envision it, random nix user who clearly doesn't know which end of a search engine to type words into, posts yet more idiotic nonsense on whichever nix fori ? Those who clearly can't quite wrap their heads around RTFM ? Help vamp or troll infestation ? Hair brained conspiracy theorist starts rambling on about the Qwinaks from zebular 14 infiltrating our governments to take over the girl scouts of amercia ? Some responsible party somewhere flips the switch and WHAM justice is served, balance restored. All the not braindead, not lazy, non-azztastic or obnoxiously mentally ill of the world can let out a collective sigh of relief and get on with their lives in peace.

Of course I also strongly feel only myself and a small select group of others should be given access to the controls of this tech. Such shouldn't be used willy nilly. Who's with me or wishes to contribute some cash to this ??? Your techno-talents or financial contribution could make the world a better place ... one black-eye at a time. Any interest and I'll set up a gofundme for this or something. :D
Yep participating in this type of thing can be frustrating. Though end-of-day it's still voluntary. It used to be fun helping folks figure whatever issues they're having out or rambling about whatever tech and gnu/Linux oriented stuff, hasn't been for a long time now, thus why I've taken to avoiding the help sections of forums like the plague. Constantly catching myself wanting to bash or spew negative stuff at people and that's not going to accomplish anything positive, so why do it ?

Posting RTFM, GOOGLE YOU FRIGGIN AZZTARD over and over or UBUNTU IS THAT WAY YOU MORON etc cannot possibly serve any useful purpose. Still do want to eventually find some meaningful way to contribute to Debian and greater open source. Will eventually send in some cash, nothing says I wuv and support you like cold hard cash.

Have come to believe more gnu/nix users is a good thing, means all the efforts, time + talent all those who have made contributions to Debian and open source are getting recognized are making progress. What the hell good would all this amazing technology be if only 150thousand people around the world got access to it ? I mean in terms of consumer electronics and casual users like myself vs strictly IT-pros and supergeeks being able to benefit or understand any of it.

So in a somewhat odd( often really annoying) way the people who seem like they can't even find the power button and successfully turn on their computer without screwing it up are contributing to open source, just by their use of it. More people using it, more commercial interest, more doors opening in areas they wouldn't without numbers.

Printers that work, graphics cards, stuff for gamers, all points in-between. OEM's wouldn't ever give the slightest chit if only 4000 geeks living in the parents basements used gnu/Nix. Userbase starts getting up into 10's of millions, Canonical Inc claims 40mil installs itself and people start paying attention to the platform. As yeppers, nothing says I luv you gnu/Linux like some big money to be made selling stuff to those who use it.

On a hopefully positive note, a dorkish observation. Humor helps, it's better to laugh, than cry about something. We can't control many things, what other people do, don't do etc but all of us have a good deal of control over ourselves, how we allow things to affect us. Letting something stupid or someone stupid bring you down is a waste of time, a choice and for every tarded and crappy thing in the world there's just as many wonderous and amazing things going on or to focus on too. :D
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

Deb-fan

#107 Post by Deb-fan »

Me again + too much coffee ... again. :P

Here goes, I want to do a shout-out to one of my favoritest nix noob types.
NN(nix-noob:) Hey guys I'm new to linux, esp Debian, so ummmm, explain it like I'm a 5yr old who doesn't know anything about linux okay ?

Me: Ah I see, talk to you like a 5yr old and don't use any technical terms to describe technology ? Gotcha ... mmmm, ....... sure thing .... Turn off that computer and go to your room lil Miss/Mister, NOW ! And don't come out until you've RTFM ! LMAO. How's that ?
footnotes: There was a bit more ranting intended to go along with but opted to cut that stuff out and just go with the funny part. :D
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *