Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Is it just me...

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Is it just me...

#41 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

sunrat wrote:Maybe we should get back to the days of recommending other distros for beginners such as Mint and MX.
+1

But not Mint.
deadbang

Deb-fan

#42 Post by Deb-fan »

@Garry. Forum burnout, happens to everyone who devotes massive time/effort with gnu/nix and a possibly unhealthy amount of time participating in the forums. Hopefully left his user account open so he always has the option of visiting. With windows 10 apparently being a mess (m$ this and that going EOL) think there's bound to be a sizable chunk of people who start looking at alternatives. Debian is sure to get some share of them.

No doubt many of them are not going to be tech-wizards, many not even truly interested in the related subjects. Just want their pc's to work etc. Short of Debian HQ deciding to go Gentoo(inherently complex) or Arch (imo intentionally over complicated to get setup) many people just won't invest the effort. Always believed it to be a safety measure put in place to weed out the lazy or tech-retarded, other undesirable types.

Though also think doing such goes against the ideals behind the Debian project, so isn't going to happen. Enough trouble from them having stuck to the no non-free out-of-box. Though don't blame them a bit, been a core principal. No shortage of "Debian based" which happily include everything proprietary end-users could need. Personally would rather see Debian get all the credit and recognition. So not sure about constantly advising newer users to go elsewhere.
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

Deb-fan

#43 Post by Deb-fan »

Guess it doesn't help that it's that time again. New Debian stable released, along with a flood of users who did some half baked upgrade attempt, doing who knows what or how in the process and flood the forum with all manner of help requests.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#44 Post by sunrat »

I've been on these forums for 13 years and never blocked anyone. Today I added two users to my foes list and a couple more are also on the radar. Sad times.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Deb-fan

#45 Post by Deb-fan »

^ Feel your pain, nobody on foes list either. Have hardly ever done such in any forum but some of the community members here are so bad that yep. My plonk trigger fingers getting really itchy too. If ya read a person's posts and feel a heavy downward pressure on your IQ and/or brain starts to throb and squirm around probably best to put them on the Plonk list. :)

Though hey @Sunrat that's a mature and sensible way to dealing with a situation too. Less aggravating than letting somebody irritate you and more productive than flaming all hades out of them(probably, maybe.) ;)

edbarx

#46 Post by edbarx »

The 'everything is easy' mentality is a generational trend that can only intensify. Technology and advances in medicine will continue to condition people everything is as easy as pushing a button or taking a pill. This goes diametrically opposite to having to strive and sweat to get anything. So, most people will find it extremely boring to have to read a manual for a couple of commands. Their conditioning tells them they should find those commands in no time and those commands should work.

This is how I see it from a Skinnerian Conditioning perspective.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

phenest

#47 Post by phenest »

Is it just you? No. It's anyone who's been here long enough to see the same old questions being asked with the same lack of research.
I'm not sure if it's getting worse, but it certainly is getting repetitive with each new release.

I'm too kind to block someone (unless they make a personal remark), and am the sort to just give them a fish. If it solves their problem, what the hell. I hate seeing someone frustrated who might regress to Windows. They're here because they've seen the light and they need to be encouraged for fear they join the dark side.
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#48 Post by sunrat »

Sometimes it is harder to explain how to do something the easy way than to just let them continue to do it the hard way. :mrgreen:

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=144167
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

Deb-fan

#49 Post by Deb-fan »

Gotta vent, RANT follows.

Having started out with Linux Mint 10, as a first actual install. Though only VERY briefly used the thing before moving on, kept supporting the distro and offering up help as poss in the community but got to say, YE GAWDS, so many nixers are friggin clueless. Esp in such userbases as Ubuntu and LM. Which between them no doubt make up the vast majority of people who use gnu/Linux on their pc's !!! Even folks who've been using it for 10yrs, 1,000's of posts bunch of meaningless status blocks and beans are clearly complete tek-tards. It's infuriating and frustrating to no end. Of course these folks don't remain around their much beloved pointy-clicky gui'ey stuffed (BLOATED TO HADES) distro's. They get other idea's and spread out and afflict so many other gnu/nix communities with their tardation.

It's like the avg window$ user. Someone who's been using it for 15yrs, doesn't mean they have a clue. Pop open an admin console, start running utils etc on the thing and they'd have less than no idea what's happening. Try to touch something technical and their eyes cross and glaze over ! Which I have to say is what I consider a vast majority of people who use gnu/Linux = window$ users with delusions of grandeur ! Here, there ... they're EVERYWHERE !!!

Crap again find myself contemplating Gentoo or Slackware. One of the founding gnu/Nix distributions which are inherently harder and complex. Thus acting as a very effective barrier against stupid/lazy users. Who very literally can't and won't be able to cut it setting up or admin'ing such OS's !!!! Ah ... don't want to let go of the pure and unadulterated kickbuttness of Debian though ! Damned if do, damned if don't. Guess I'm just going to have to install a brain filter to block these tarded feckers out !

End pointless rant: Thanks for starting this thread. Good place to let off steam. :)

Deb-fan

#50 Post by Deb-fan »

Pointless update: Went ahead and had em closey my final acct over LM forum way. Lol ... a newerish Mod must've done it, as they wiped out all that users posts along with. Ah and oh well ... like I give a whit, shrugs. :D

Cannot ... will not participate in a community where a good chunk of the senior folks and peeps who've been using gnu/Nix for 5, 7 ... 10yrs congregate and never bothered learning gnu/Linux 101 and junk that's so basic nobody should even need to learn or be told about. Google your damn error msg YOU FRIGGIN MORON'S !!!

My loyalty lay with Debian gnu/Linux. I WUV you Debian ! Ok ... just random add to stupid vent/rant fellows. :)

trinidad

#51 Post by trinidad »

Sometimes it is harder to explain how to do something the easy way than to just let them continue to do it the hard way
An excellent observation. Often times solutions are easily avaliable from the GUI, but it's certainly easier to reply and direct a user to a CLI solution. Post code and done, as compared to posting images of the specific GUI in action. I use the CLI considerably more in Windows to solve problems than in Debian. It's been my experience that Windows help forums tend to steer users to the GUI, while Linux help forums tend to steer users to the CLI. It's a kind of odd reversal of efficiency that has left new users of either system with a mistaken sense of how things really are regarding the technical polish of the respective OSs. Debian is far more stable and polished for efficiency and simplicity internally than Windows and quite effective at operating correctly from the GUI, while Windows is horribly inefficient internally and profusely inefficient and redundant from the GUI with help applications that only add to the redundancy and inefficiency. My favorite stupid questions about Debian are those from users both experienced and inexperienced who fail to read the release notes. Anyway, Debian is doing well at increasing it's potential future user base because of systemd and wayland, quite contrary to opinions often expressed on its user forums. There's lots and lots of smart a**s around with emotional issues who enjoy writing about their own divergency from civilized behavior on help forums, and some may be PHDs, and some may have used Debian since its nascence, but really folks, nobody has to answer any question if they don't want to, and questioners don't need opinions, just answers. Finally, lest you take yourself too seriouly, businessmen don't use help forums. They hire IT people... and fire them if they don't get it right. That's the real world. Nothing here is that life or death serious. Stay pragmatic and live longer... maybe even enjoy an actual retirement.

TC
You can't believe your eyes if your imagination is out of focus.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#52 Post by sunrat »

trinidad wrote:I use the CLI considerably more in Windows to solve problems than in Debian. It's been my experience that Windows help forums tend to steer users to the GUI, while Linux help forums tend to steer users to the CLI.
Windows has a multitude of little helper utilities such as those from Diskinternals. I have rarely used CLI there, then I rarely use Windows. I've learned many CLI ways to do things over years. So much so that in MX Linux (which I love) I get so overwhelmed by the plethora of GUI utilities to help less experienced users, I end up using CLI anyway a lot of times.
... nobody has to answer any question if they don't want to, and questioners don't need opinions, just answers.
Amen to that, brother. Peripheral rants, and coffee-fuelled streams of consciousness, are counterproductive both from questioners and answerers.
And threats. How many times do we see "if you can't fix this for me I'm going back to Ubuntu"? Door's open dude! :mrgreen:
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

Deb-fan

#53 Post by Deb-fan »

Think it's a good place to vent. Thanks again OP, am still looking for a gnu/Nix forum community where I'd fit in. This place is about as lively and have seen more activity watching the grass on a lawn grow. Not that I doubt it isn't a virtual treasure trove of good info, tips + tricks and etc.

LM sure TONS of threads posted constantly. Though stupid/lazy .. tarded from pretty much all sides, the new users and the long timers. Not surprising at all really, many folks have been using window$ for 20yrs. Open an admin console and they're like hey man, did you install something on my computer ?! :D Goal there (LM forum)for me, was getting info out to the stalkers, the nixers who don't bother posting and do their own research and googling. More people = more exposure thus more benefit to hopefully good nixers. Spent a massive amount of time, effort and energy learning about gnu/Linux and feel compelled to pay it forward where and when possible.

Mentioned yep, think a good chunk of gnu/nix users originate from Ubuntu/LM, thus technically are mostly incapable of finding their digi-azzes with both hands and any of the 54 digi-azz finding utils readily available and well documented online ! :) Also mentioned, yep these folks tend to spread, anyone remember the Unity apocalypse ? Instead of purging Unity and installing any one of a gazillion other DE's/WM's in 10mins or less, they fled far and wide, infecting endless other communities with their presence and techo-tardation !!! Arghhhh ! Plenty wound up here and other Debian oriented forums too of course.

Ahhhh anyway, time to troll the Tips, trick section. Shrugs ... though dang, it's a forum folks and overall a pretty dead one here.

Deb-fan

#54 Post by Deb-fan »

Also got to comment on a comment.
There's lots and lots of smart a**s around with emotional issues who enjoy writing about their own divergency from civilized behavior on help forums, and some may be PHDs, and some may have used Debian since its nascence, but really folks, nobody has to answer any question if they don't want to, and questioners don't need opinions, just answers. Finally, lest you take yourself too seriouly, businessmen don't use help forums.
Certainly entitled to an opinion, as am I, agree with some of that. Yes it's voluntary, at the end of the day but have my own motivations which won't bother explaining to anyone, as well as my views on things overall. It does not make someone an azz in my view to expect people to do basic common sense things to help themselves, to provide basic info to people attempting to volunteer help for them, w/o having to pull their finger nails out getting said retard to provide things a person with 4 brain cells would realize is prudent. Also am glad you know and checked in with all n every business person (there are business women too eh) and confirmed your views that none of them play any role in tech for themselves. Sure they all just hire techs to do it all. :D Gimme a break man.

One thing no matter which forums I frequent that I'm going to have to start doing is liberal use of their ignore features. NO DOUBT ABOUT IT !!! Though tend to go in spurts, will get hit by a gnu/Nix forum'ing bug and go on a blitz for awhile, get burnt out on all the stupidity and dribble inevitably encountered and then cease for long periods. Still looking for that ideal forum, which is actually fun enough and active enough to want to spend time in often. I miss #! forum, before most the cool nixers split off and started their own thing (now discontinued according to distrowatch.) :(

Was much to that event, one of such elements was a massive tidal wave of clueless tektards asking the same mundane/mindless questions, over n over and overrrrrrr, which they could've solved in mins themselves searching the forum or googling their error msgs.

trinidad

#55 Post by trinidad »

Skinnerian Conditioning

Most business IT people would certainly up-vote the electrifying keyboard or chair.
I have no guilt about suggesting that newbies spend some time on an easier OS
Me neither, and I provide local instructionals on Linux Lite at the library for elderly users in my community whose dated Windows systems have become to problematic and insecure to continue safely using.
How many times do we see "if you can't fix this for me I'm going back to Ubuntu"? Door's open dude!
Yep, enjoy... but I wonder why you left Ubu in the first place.,, updates? instability? ...wildly over-clocked release schedule?

TC
You can't believe your eyes if your imagination is out of focus.

Deb-fan

#56 Post by Deb-fan »

Me neither, and I provide local instructionals on Linux Lite at the library for elderly users in my community whose dated Windows systems have become to problematic and insecure to continue safely using.
For record, think that is really cool dude. :)

vicshrike

#57 Post by vicshrike »

^Amen to that.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#58 Post by sunrat »

It seems that it's a regular occurrence for someone to join the forum and proceed to make outlandish claims and statements, including giving dangerous advice to those just starting to find their way in Debian and Linux, and annoy the crap out of almost every regular contributor.
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

Bulkley

#59 Post by Bulkley »

sunrat wrote:It seems that it's a regular occurrence for someone to join the forum and proceed to make outlandish claims and statements, including giving dangerous advice to those just starting to find their way in Debian and Linux, and annoy the crap out of almost every regular contributor.
Yes. My pet peeve is a variant of that theme. Someone joins the forum, announces that he/she is new to Debian, maybe even new to Linux, and complains that their system is broken. After a bit of back and forth we discover he/she is running Testing. We even get users complaining that their network using Testing is having problems. :roll: What is it about the word testing that new posters can't understand?

cuckooflew

#60 Post by cuckooflew »

After a bit of back and forth we discover he/she is running Testing.
Or, they finally tell us it is "kali", or when they finally show their sources.list, it is a FrankenDebian, ....
I get annoyed, but also laugh at the ones asking us to decide what DE or WM they should use, logic would tell most people to just try them, then decide for their selves,.. the world really does seem to be going down hill, the human level of intelligence deteriorating, more and more droids, unable to think for their selves, nor make a logical decision. Maybe the Ipads cause brain damage , MsWindows as well :mrgreen:
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!