Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Is it just me...

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
cuckooflew

Re: Is it just me...

#61 Post by cuckooflew »

dilberts_left_nut wrote:...or does it get worse with each release.

I blame the education system and social media.
Also 'safety' culture and better healthcare - mostly they used to get weeded out....
I think , both, education system and social media have a lot to do with it.
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!

cuckooflew

#62 Post by cuckooflew »

Why can't some people just post error messages , and info in plain text , use code boxes, etc ? It irks me when we have to sit there waiting for "google drive" or some storage site to load some huge over sized screen shot, that usually doe not give any usefull info.
Ahh, maybe they don't know how to capture and print the terminal output into a text file on Linux , click the link if you don't know how, There is plenty of help on that available with out even asking on the forum, I do realize a begginer, newbe , might not know about that, I didn't know myself , the first time I needed to capture some out put, I asked the search engine, and the results did show me how. These clowns want people to help them, but do not even make a effort, take the time to post the details and info, in plain text, so it is easy for the persons trying to help....
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and

Head_on_a_Stick

#63 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

In the case of the Google drive person it was an error printed in a graphical dialogue box so it almost made sense. But in general yes, posting pictures of text is annoying to deal with.
deadbang

kedaha

#64 Post by kedaha »

It occurred to me this morning to add my two cents to this topic. :wink:

I prefer to call Debian a "distribution" rather than a "distro." It is a "mega-distribution", not a "mega-distro."

While on the subject of vocabulary, I wonder how the word "migrate" came to be used if, for example, one ditches Windows for a Linux distribution. I have sought in vain to find where this originated.

I frown on the use of the verb "upgrade" to refer to replacing stable with either testing or sid. If I update from oldstable to current stable then that is, in my opinion, an upgrade in every sense of the word.
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

Bulkley

#65 Post by Bulkley »

kedaha wrote:I frown on the use of the verb "upgrade" to refer to replacing stable with either testing or sid. If I update from oldstable to current stable then that is, in my opinion, an upgrade in every sense of the word.
Agreed. Debian has only one official distribution: Stable. Testing and Unstable are development releases; they are not upgrades and they are not rolling releases. I am stung by the frequency of new posters on this forum who start right off with Testing and their problems with it. I don't try to help them. People using Testing or Unstable are by definition supposed to be able to fix their problems themselves. They are also supposed to file bug reports with details of the problems and their fixes.

I think the term migrate fits when there is a script that does the job in one smooth operation such as converting Debian to Devuan. A fresh install is not a migration.

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

#66 Post by arochester »

One of the things I don't like is "based on Debian."

This covers dozens of distros and people seem to get annoyed when we don't answer questions about all of them.

Perhaps a better term would be "derived from Debian". Or, "uses the Debian packaging system".

Unless anyone has a better idea?

Bulkley

#67 Post by Bulkley »

Derived from Debian is good. We can also speak of Debian derivatives. I have to admit that I sometimes use "based on Debian." My language recall can get pretty fuzzy at times; it comes with the grey hair. :)

This forum attracts people from all over the world, many for whom English is not their mother tongue. We have to understand and be tolerant when someone muddles language.

Those of us who have been using Debian for a long time need to be clear about what it is and is not. Often we have users complaining about something in Debian and it is obvious that they would really be more comfortable with another distribution.

kedaha

#68 Post by kedaha »

Bulkley wrote:This forum attracts people from all over the world, many for whom English is not their mother tongue. We have to understand and be tolerant when someone muddles language.
Yes, definitely.
One thing that puts me off is spelling mistakes since it's so easy to correct them. My reason is that if someone pays little attention to spelling then they can be just as careless with things like bash commands and code etc., where accuracy is a must. And of course, good spelling might help other users in searches.
How many times have I seen the name "Debain" instead of Debian? I've lost count.
By the way, I wish there was a facepalm smilie. :wink:
DebianStable

$ vrms

Head_on_a_Stick

#69 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

kedaha wrote:How many times have I seen the name "Debain" instead of Debian?
Erm, I do that quite often :oops:

I like to blame dyslexia but the truth is I'm just crap at typing...
kedaha wrote:if someone pays little attention to spelling then they can be just as careless with things like bash commands and code etc., where accuracy is a must
Tab-completion ftw! I also like zsh with grml's awesome configuration framework — that offers automated spell correction :)
kedaha wrote:I wish there was a facepalm smilie
But what about the COVID risk? :mrgreen:

For those who like to live on the edge: https://tesuji.org/picard_facepalm.html
deadbang

cuckooflew

#70 Post by cuckooflew »

Good ,accurate spelling is also important if and when others need to get translations. Grammar as well.
But what about the COVID risk?
Oh, and there is this Image :mrgreen:
and

kedaha

#71 Post by kedaha »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
kedaha wrote:How many times have I seen the name "Debain" instead of Debian?
Erm, I do that quite often :oops:

I like to blame dyslexia but the truth is I'm just crap at typing...
I myself have mistyped "Ubuntu" as "Ubunto". "Debain" is at least an acceptable anagram.
I don't object to the spelling "Ubutno" or "Windoze" either.
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Tab-completion ftw! I also like zsh with grml's awesome configuration framework — that offers automated spell correction :)
Thanks for that. I'll give it a whirl.
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:But what about the COVID risk? :mrgreen:
:shock: Oh dear, I was forgetting. I suppose one can always put on a full hamzat suit before doing a facepalm. But instead of all that palaver, a couple of those beers posted by cuckooflew would hit the spot nicely.
DebianStable

$ vrms

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#72 Post by sunrat »

Anyone else feeling there is an increase in bad manners, hostility, and downright rudeness since pandemic started? It seems to be happening in every forum in which I participate and some other messaging channels. FDN is not as bad as a couple I'm in, and there's one I'm considering abandoning entirely.
It's really the opposite of what we need currently. Many peoples' anxiety levels are already way higher than normal.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Bulkley

#73 Post by Bulkley »

Yes.

neuraleskimo

#74 Post by neuraleskimo »

sunrat wrote:Anyone else feeling there is an increase in bad manners, hostility, and downright rudeness since pandemic started? It seems to be happening in every forum in which I participate and some other messaging channels. FDN is not as bad as a couple I'm in, and there's one I'm considering abandoning entirely.
It's really the opposite of what we need currently. Many peoples' anxiety levels are already way higher than normal.
Shut up you %^!%#...just kidding. Couldn't resist being a smart a**. You are correct. It seems people forget to be understanding when they are stressed. Everyone measures themselves against different standards/goals/whatever. Some people measure themselves by the people they lift up, some are competitive and like to win, and some are compensating for an 8-bit pointer. (Sorry, couldn't resist.) Jokes aside, I have to remind myself that I came here to help, I need to set-aside my bad day, and not bring it here.

cuckooflew

#75 Post by cuckooflew »

I can't say I have noticed this here, and I am not active on other forums , just 2 , but both are not very active at all, no change there either. There are all ways a few people with "bad manners" any where.
and

NFT5
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#76 Post by NFT5 »

Started with Facebook. Hasn't changed much since.

neuraleskimo

#77 Post by neuraleskimo »

NFT5 wrote:Started with Facebook. Hasn't changed much since.
LOL. Too bad there isn't a like button here...err...umm. Nevermind. I mean +1. ;-)

Head_on_a_Stick

#78 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Oh come on folks, these boards aren't supposed to be all chummy & friendly. Have you ever read the Debian mailing lists? They're a bunch of grumpy, argumentative bastards and I think we should have the same ambiance here :mrgreen:
deadbang

neuraleskimo

#79 Post by neuraleskimo »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Oh come on folks, these boards aren't supposed to be all chummy & friendly. Have you ever read the Debian mailing lists? They're a bunch of grumpy, argumentative bastards and I think we should have the same ambiance here :mrgreen:
You #*^%* Windows user! Actually, I can do worse. I have uttered grammatically correct sentences composed almost entirely of various forms of the f-word. I can do that if it will make you feel better. :D

Being serious for a moment... Sometimes the person you are arguing with may have serious problems in their life (e.g., mental illness). For example, I once had a student who was struggling. She eventually told me that she was homeless. After that, I connected a few dots from the news and discovered her father had been arrested for nearly beating her mother to death. Kinda hard to forget. Also, I am proud to say that my last five graduate students have been female. From that and other experiences, I can say with certainty that women are not impressed by all of testosterone dripping from many a computing forum. Finally, there are some children that visit this forum. Heck, cuckooflew is only eleven years old! ;-) We will see if he catches that.

Head_on_a_Stick

#80 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

neuraleskimo wrote:Sometimes the person you are arguing with may have serious problems in their life
Well yes, but if they give me crap then they'll get it back double. IMO it's better to inure people to unkindness via exposure in a relatively "safe" environment.
deadbang