Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

About Debian Conference 19 and Supporters (solved)

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
max17

About Debian Conference 19 and Supporters (solved)

#1 Post by max17 »

First of all I need to establish that I am a newer user to Debian. Maybe by a few months user. I was looking around early this morning (MST) and noticed something alarming to me with the latest conference 19 talks and topics video feeds. I noticed that Google and Microsoft are main supporters of Debian. Is this new and am I missing something. I mean look at there history as human kind knows. Just asking a question and not trying to be political or opinionated. I will delete this post if I am out of line. Just wondering.
Last edited by max17 on 2019-07-28 12:28, edited 1 time in total.
Computer: Dell OptiPlex-980 SFF. Running Buster 10 stable contrib nonfree
Processors: 4 x Intel Core i5
CPU: 660 @ 3.33 GHz
Memory: 8 GiB of RAM

Linux strong since 2011

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: About Debian Conference 19 and Supporters

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Conferences aren't cheap so Debian are happy to accept corporate sponsorship. Google are listed as an official Debian Partner[1] as well.

It's not like you can escape this sort of thing, the Linux kernel itself has Google & M$ as some of their biggest contributors (in actual code as well as money), check out the Linux Foundation membership list:

https://www.linuxfoundation.org/membership/members/

I'm pretty sure the developers don't let this influence their decisions though and one of the great things about Debian is the transparency of the decision making process.
deadbang

max17

Re: About Debian Conference 19 and Supporters

#3 Post by max17 »

Question answered. Thank you for your speedy reply. :wink:
Computer: Dell OptiPlex-980 SFF. Running Buster 10 stable contrib nonfree
Processors: 4 x Intel Core i5
CPU: 660 @ 3.33 GHz
Memory: 8 GiB of RAM

Linux strong since 2011