Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

USB System Drive Backup

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
bookie

USB System Drive Backup

#1 Post by bookie »

Hi guys! :D
I was wondering on what method to use to backup a system from a USB drive...?
I have seen you can do that with the "Disks" utility but that backs up individual partitions and not the whole usb...
Any suggestions?

bookie32

ruwolf

Re: USB System Drive Backup

#2 Post by ruwolf »

I do not understand your question.
Do you want to restore system previously backed up to USB?

cuckooflew

#3 Post by cuckooflew »

I use the 'dd' command. See

Code: Select all

man dd 
I use it to write the drive I want to backup to a USB drive, and I use the same command,different syntax to write the back up from the usb device to the HD,
again 'man dd' for details. But then , I may not be understanding the question myself. But I am also very ignorant, and do not have a clue as to what "Disks" utility is ? dd is sometimes called disk destroyer, but I consider it a disk utility, ....guess I better just shut up now. :mrgreen:
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

deadbang

cuckooflew

#5 Post by cuckooflew »

The method using 'rsync', that Head_on_a_Stick posts a link to is also a excellent method, I have used that my self as well.
If you do a search you will see there are many ways to: Using Debian what method to use to backup a system from a USB drive
Some of the results might not apply,but really , you need to try the various methods, and then decide which one you prefer.
Since you ask specifically about "disks utility ",and I am not sure on that having never heard of it, let's see what comes up :How to back up the entire USB drive using Disks utility on Debian
At a glance I still do not see anything mentioning "disks ustility", but you might consider reading some of them your self, one that probably is realiable: https://wiki.debian.org/BackupAndRecovery
This mentions many of the various methods, and goes into details on them.
Any way, there you go, hope you learn something from this, and have a good day :D
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!

tdave

#6 Post by tdave »

i use rsync with a gui

mm3100

#7 Post by mm3100 »

I made my own small script that creates snapshots with rsync, I found best read how to do something like that here

http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/

I didn't do anything like automount or cron, just once I plug it in, run a script and it is one in 1 min.