Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Stop making XFCE single CD images

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
sgosnell

Re: Stop making XFCE single CD images

#21 Post by sgosnell »

It's not my preference, it's just the way it is. I don't know of anything I can do about it. Software, like gas, expands to fill its container. The genie cannot be put back into the bottle. No modern OS going forward is going to fit on a CD, that's a fact and it won't change. To use a CD to boot, one must use older software. If I knew how to change that I would, but I cannot.
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#22 Post by p.H »

sgosnell wrote: No modern OS going forward is going to fit on a CD
does not imply that
sgosnell wrote: To use a CD to boot, one must use older software
You can still boot an current Debian installer with the netinst CD image.

arzgi

#23 Post by arzgi »

p.H wrote: You can still boot an current Debian installer with the netinst CD image.
Yep, I can confirm that, upgraded to Buster from net install CD.

I think all my computers now would support usb-boot, but it is just a convention to me to write to optical disk what it includes.

Many times I have lost or mixed usb sticks :mrgreen:

sgosnell

#24 Post by sgosnell »

Yes, the netinstall image is less than half a gigabyte. But it requires an internet connection to do the installation. Without an internet connection it's useless. I was under the impression that we were discussing OS images that can make a standalone installation.

sgosnell

#25 Post by sgosnell »

Yes, the netinstall image is less than half a gigabyte. But it requires an internet connection to do the installation. Without an internet connection it's useless. I was under the impression that we were discussing OS images that can make a standalone installation.

Head_on_a_Stick

#26 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

The "extended" version of the Alpine Linux ISO image contains a full system and it weighs in at 501MiB. The CD image for the amd64 version of OpenBSD contains all of the sets (including X) and is 511MiB.

The 9front ISO is 238MiB but that's gzipped, it unpacks to a mahoosive 523MiB. It is also a full system.
deadbang