Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Article] Must 'completely free' mean 'hard to install'?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

[Article] Must 'completely free' mean 'hard to install'?

#1 Post by arochester »

A post on the Debian developer list about issues installing the operating system on a laptop sparked a debate about whether Debian's free software principles have become a blocker to adoption.
Source - https://www.theregister.com/2021/01/22/ ... o_install/

Bulkley

Re: [Article] Must 'completely free' mean 'hard to install'?

#2 Post by Bulkley »

It's an old issue. Personally I think the non-free blobs should be included on all Debian install discs. The installer should explain what they are and leave the choice to the user.

I've been using Debian for a long time. I don't remember having to load non-free blobs back when my computer had a 586 CPU. Am I right about that or is my memory failing?

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#3 Post by 4D696B65 »

Bulkley wrote:I've been using Debian for a long time. I don't remember having to load non-free blobs back when my computer had a 586 CPU. Am I right about that or is my memory failing?
Debian 6.0 "Squeeze" released

February 6th, 2011

blah

blah blah

Another first is the completely free Linux kernel, which no longer contains problematic firmware files. These were split out into separate packages and moved out of the Debian main archive into the non-free area of our archive, which is not enabled by default. In this way Debian users have the possibility of running a completely free operating system, but may still choose to use non-free firmware files if necessary. Firmware files needed during installation may be loaded by the installation system; special CD images and tarballs for USB based installations are available too. More information about this may be found in the Debian Firmware wiki page.

blah blah blah

Deb-fan

#4 Post by Deb-fan »

Think to whatever degree it always has been but it's well within the rights of the people associated with the Debian project to do what they see fit. I've never quite gotten it, though who am I to second guess such things ? It's clearly an important principle to the kickbooty folks who power Debian. Since it's important to them I have to respect that. Really view it as a non-issue, when someone considers all the MANY benefits of using Debian's stable releases, the clear upside, having to take a couple steps to get things setup which require non-free software pkgs is no big deal.

For anyone who is even remotely competent, everything is well documented and straight forward. Such things don't present much if any challenge and in my view it can't be considered any type of an imposition. Folks unable or unwilling to make any minor effort, don't choose Debian due to something like this ? It's their loss ...
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#5 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

arochester wrote:
A post on the Debian developer list about issues installing the operating system on a laptop sparked a debate about whether Debian's free software principles have become a blocker to adoption.
Source - https://www.theregister.com/2021/01/22/ ... o_install/
For me, it looks like some former Ubuntu users have realised that Ubuntu is an unstable crap. They have tried Debian - and *wow* - they have discovered that Debian has a strict policy for separating Free Software from untested, closed source crap.

Funny thing is, that they are claiming that by not including firmware blobs by default, the Debian project is less attractive - but somehow, it have attracted them ;)
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed

Bulkley

#6 Post by Bulkley »

4D696B65, thanks for the Squeeze info. My old memory is intact! :D

Head_on_a_Stick

#7 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

The links for the unofficial images are given in the official installation guide, the download page for the images and on the Firmware page in the Debian wiki so I really don't see the problem. The only people being discouraged from using Debian by it not being stated on the home page are those who don't read the documentation so I would classify that as a feature rather than a bug.
deadbang

Deb-fan

#8 Post by Deb-fan »

^ +1 weed out some of the worst of the worst. Right at the get-go and hopefully before they post too many stupid questions in forums. :)

Quick frothing @ mouth Debian fanboi moment follows.
The first version of Debian (0.01) was released on September 15, 1993, and its first stable version (1.1) was released on June 17, 1996. The Debian Stable branch is the most popular edition for personal computers and servers. Debian is also the basis for many other distributions, most notably Ubuntu.
Snippet snatched from Google, though anyone whom wants to ... do the math, that's A LOT of time and energy the amazing folks involved with Debian have poured into creating and maintaining what I'd argue is the best operating system and supporting project on the planet. So yeppers, from my standpoint could care less about users who have an outlook like OMG, I actually have to do something for myself, learn something ?!! Oh gawds, that's terrible, OMG, so unfair ... blahblahblah, whaaa, sniffle, < more crying here.>

If a bunch of lazy, braindead people can't be imposed upon to learn anything about how to use an amazing operating system, good ... Leaves more Debian for the rest of us to enjoy. :D

Bulkley

#9 Post by Bulkley »

If a bunch of lazy, brain dead people can't be imposed upon to learn anything about how to use an amazing operating system . . .
That's exactly why so many use Windows. It's all well and good to insist that users learn computer literacy but maybe it would be better if computers, or at least computer manuals, were easier to get along with. Today I have tried to install two different OS's only to get to a cursor and not a clue what to do next; in both cases the install manuals were several years out of date and too much trouble to figure out. Debian is better but that may be only because I'm used to Debian manuals; to a total newbie they may be in a foreign language.

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#10 Post by Hallvor »

It is a bad idea to distribute code by default that you can't fix, but I don't see a problem with a checkbox in the installer where the user is allowed to enable non-free sources, but also is thoroughly warned about the hazards. It is a possibility to educate new users.
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

Bulkley

#11 Post by Bulkley »

Hallvor wrote:It is a bad idea to distribute code by default that you can't fix, but I don't see a problem with a checkbox in the installer where the user is allowed to enable non-free sources, but also is thoroughly warned about the hazards. It is a possibility to educate new users.
+1.

Deb-fan

#12 Post by Deb-fan »

More frothing follows. :D

If the people who actually contribute in some meaningful way, the one's who do all the work and effort it takes to have gotten the project to where it is and those which continue doing so want to include a box that says "click here" to have everything done for you automagically(including non-free this or that all setup for you) then hey, I will totally respect that decision too. It's an organization with formal procedures to define proposing such changes, if enough of those contributors actually agreed, discussion would have to take place, presumably reaching a vote and at some point a final determination.

However there must be reasons why Debian isn't setup to be something like Ubuntu. Also has to be more than a few reasons that Ubuntu is based on Debian and not the other way around. Honestly been griping about it since about the time I came to be aware of the facts of the situation. Why doesn't Debian just do xyz, what's all this about Ubuntu (and Canonical Inc,) when it's just another of a gazillion Debian remixes, only including everything non-free under the sun and motivated by being for profit ? The facts as to why are available to anyone interested enough to search.

Such facts, that being if the project were to change and start doing xyz for popularity could mean more users in the userbase, this isn't something lost on the people who keep the Debian project working, have apparently for somewhere around 30yrs, these are clearly some very intelligent folks but the most obvious reason things aren't that way, is because the people involved don't want it to be. Guess someone could say there are reasons people are using Debian and not the other way around. :P

While am frothing @ mouth also gotta say, good time to educate ? Give me a friggin break, are already dealing with people who won't do the most basic research, if they had they'd have seen the info that says Debian proper is not intended for brand new users, that getting this or that working will require additional steps, knowledge etc blahblah and people who can't be bothered to google "how to install Debian linux." By this point available in many languages, doubtless many a how to with pictures for those who don't like word thingies. All the documentation in the world isn't very helpful if nobody bothers reading any of it. Aka: Insist on being lazy and braindead types.

Personally if ever Debian does decide to shift gears and do things differently I'll still wuv Debian, will also still maintain a fundamental dislike of people who insist on being stupid and lazy. Until such time however am going to focus on appreciating all the time, talent, efforts, any expense or sacrafices people have devoted to the Debian project and for sharing that with whoever wants to be a part of it or benefit from those efforts.

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#13 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

Hallvor wrote:It is a bad idea to distribute code by default that you can't fix, but I don't see a problem with a checkbox in the installer where the user is allowed to enable non-free sources, but also is thoroughly warned about the hazards. It is a possibility to educate new users.
Actually, the Debian installer has that "checkbox", which enables non-free repos, and it allows to import missing firmware from f.e. an USB drive ...
Bulkley wrote:That's exactly why so many use Windows. It's all well and good to insist that users learn computer literacy but maybe it would be better if computers, or at least computer manuals, were easier to get along with. (...)
I Disagree.
1. MacOS users (and of course true Linux users) would say that Winblows is just crap - and IMO they would be right, because QA just doesn't exist in the Microshit corporation (just check the articles about how many times, just in the last year, the MS had introduced critical regressions in their OS :lol:
2. OS market share statistics are malformed (and btw: sponsored): average human uses a single laptop with MacOS/Winblows, and at least 3 other devices with Linux-based OS: WiFi Router, Smartphone and a SmartTV, not counting the Internet and ... cars ;)
3. It's impossible to write a 'simple manual' for such advanced and complex tools like computers ...
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."

ticojohn

#14 Post by ticojohn »

LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote: ..... Linux-based OS: WiFi Router, Smartphone and a SmartTV, not counting the Internet and ... cars ;)
And don't forget, the majority of internet servers, the top 500 supercomputers and my favorite ..... SpaceX
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#15 Post by Hallvor »

LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote: Actually, the Debian installer has that "checkbox", which enables non-free repos, and it allows to import missing firmware from f.e. an USB drive ...
OK, let's see. This is from Debian 9, but the installer has not changed on this point:

No, it doesn't have that checkbox that automatically installs the missing firmware by pressing yes. (Nor does it warn the user of potential hazards of doing so.) In fact, you'd have to download the firmware and place it on removable media for that (very cumbersome) method to work. During my eleven years of using Debian, I have not bothered to do that even once, because adding the sources manually post install and installing whatever non-free drivers I need, is less work.

If it is made this way by design to keep certain groups or individuals out, I get it. If it's not by design, I don't.
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#16 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

Hallvor wrote: No, it doesn't have that checkbox that automatically installs the missing firmware by pressing yes. (...)
OK, it's not a checkbox - it's a radio-button ;)
But seriously: the thing is that default Debian installer has an option to include non-free software, including firmware.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#17 Post by sunrat »

LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote:
Hallvor wrote: No, it doesn't have that checkbox that automatically installs the missing firmware by pressing yes. (...)
OK, it's not a checkbox - it's a radio-button ;)
But seriously: the thing is that default Debian installer has an option to include non-free software, including firmware.
That option adds non-free to sources, it doesn't install anything.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#18 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

sunrat wrote:That option adds non-free to sources, it doesn't install anything.
Of course, but it allows to:
- install proprietary firmware after normal installation is finished.
- install missing firmware from additional installation media (*)

(*) At least in expert text mode - I've never used any other mode to install Debian - one of the reasons is the possibility to choose non-default NTP server.

edbarx

#19 Post by edbarx »

Huh, the Politics of Operating Systems! It is always 'interesting' to discuss politics whatever the subject may be, and this, holds for a vast proportion of the population. Politics is all about values on which decisions are made which affect people. In our case, they are the decisions made by politically empowered representatives who decide what should be included in a distribution and what should not.

In my case, having non-free forcefully removed rendered my laptops and even some destops with several hardware pieces not working and above all inexistent from the Linux kernel's point of view.

Let me put it bluntly: the biggest weakness of all Linux distributions is the provision of hardware drivers or as they are called kernel modules. Most users are left deeply frustrated and disappointed after struggling for hours upon hours to install and experience what they imagine, an exciting 'new' operating system.

The Linux kernel developer team could have created a fork of the ndiswrapper package to make it compatible with a wider range of hardware devices. As it is, it is limited only to network devices, although, very ironically, this is NOT the ONLY instance when someone may find themselves struggling with a piece of hardware with only a Windows driver available.

I will recount my experience struggling to breathlessness to make a Hantek USB oscilloscope properly work under Linux. Hantek only make drivers for MS Windows, and reading sites about the many various attempts to crack and reverse-engineer their driver, has consistently shown they change driver architecture to break whatever crack ever surfaces at great effors by reverse-engineers. A package that would permit the use of Hantek's drivers would allow the oscilloscope software to be used under WINE running under Linux. Hantek's software frontend GUI works under WINE.

Any Linux distribution, especially Debian or Devuan, would be a huge advancement with so many tools available. Currently, I run the simpler to use LTSpice simulator under WINE which works with sufficient speed to be useful and comfortable. Why should a much much simpler application fail to work under Linux, for the simple reason of a political standing which has proven time and time again, it goes against most business practices, and most manufacturers are very hostile to adopting it as they want to protect their industrial secrets regarding internal hardware functioning?
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#20 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

edbarx wrote:Huh, the Politics of Operating Systems!
It's not politics, its a policy - aka contract or insurance or a plan.

There are many distros which have a different policy and everyone is free to use them.
Trying to enforce a change of Debian policy is at least a nonsense (speaking gently), especially in a situation where it is possible to use closed source drivers without any restrictions (in fact, it's even possible to use drivers from other distros)
edbarx wrote:I will recount my experience struggling to breathlessness to make a Hantek USB oscilloscope properly work under Linux. Hantek only make drivers for MS Windows, (...)
Any Linux distribution, especially Debian or Devuan, would be a huge advancement with so many tools available. Currently, I run the simpler to use LTSpice simulator under WINE which works with sufficient speed to be useful and comfortable.
I've used Hantek oscilloscopes - their firmware is littered with bugs (starting from little bugs in GUI and ending with broken fourier transform or software bandwith limiter) - better buy FLUKE ;)
LTSpice is just a closed-source fork of ngspice, and ngspice is packaged for Debian, and it can be used with KiCad or GEDA, and there's also a gnucap.
edbarx wrote:Why should a much much simpler application fail to work under Linux, for the simple reason of a political standing which has proven time and time again, it goes against most business practices, and most manufacturers are very hostile to adopting it as they want to protect their industrial secrets regarding internal hardware functioning?
Openness of driver code has completely nothing to do with "industrial secrets regarding internal hardware functioning" - drivers are communicating with the interface that the "internal hardware" is exposing to the outside world.

F.e. AMD opened the specification of their GPUs, allowing to create open source drivers - have they bankrupt?
Now we have fully Linux-compatible AMD driver stack, while NVIDIA's drivers are just a hack which works only in typical use cases, and they lag behind regarding support for newest kernels.
BTW: NVIDIA's compressed (!) driver package for Winblows takes almost 500MB - obviously this is not just the driver, but that deserves a separate thread (on Windows forums :lol: )

"Know-how protection" - I've heard this excuse many times, but it has nothing to do with reality, where usually this means "Don't know how - protection". Proprietary software is never truly tested, exactly because of today's "business practices": software development takes 10% of time, testing/QA takes 90% - so accordingly to the best "business practices", the proprietry drivers are not fully tested - they are tested by the users...
Open source code ensures higher quality, because it is tested by the developers, who really do care about their reputation, which is tightly tied to the quality of source code - and this makes a huge difference.