Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Article] Google does not like Chromium's abilities

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

[Article] Google does not like Chromium's abilities

#1 Post by arochester »

Starting on March 15th, Google said it will limit access to many Chrome application programming interfaces (API) inside Chromium starting March 15, 2021. This means users using the Chromium web browser or any other web browser based on its open-source codebase won't be able to use most Google-specific API-enabled services. This includes the ability to sync Chrome bookmarks, check your spelling, find your contacts, translate text, and on and on.
Source - https://www.zdnet.com/article/linux-dis ... trictions/
To the average Chromium user, this doesn’t sound like much of a problem. In fact, you might even assume it doesn’t apply to you. The language used in the post makes it sound like Google is referring to browsers which are spun off of the Chromium codebase, and at least in part, they are. But the search giant is also using this opportunity to codify their belief that the only official Chromium builds are the ones that they provide themselves. With that simple change, anyone using a distribution-specific build of Chromium just became persona non grata.
Source - https://hackaday.com/2021/01/26/whats-t ... intainers/

LE_746F6D617A7A69

Re: [Article] Google does not like Chromium's abilities

#2 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

(...) Put simply, there doesn’t appear to be any technical reason that a third-party build of Chromium couldn’t simply use the official API keys that ship with Chrome. These keys have been publicly known since at least 2012, and in all that time, have never been changed. While actually distributing a build of Chromium using these keys may be enough of a gray area that mainline distributions would steer clear, a separate script that executes on the end-user’s machine and slips the keys into the relevant environment variables may be a loophole Google wasn’t expecting.
I'm using DuckDuckGo, I don't have Google account and I'm not going to use any of their services, so I just don't give crap about Google API.

Obviously, the reason for such move can be found by reading between the lines: apparently Google have notices a worrying drop of income from selling user's (meta)data, because chromium is free from Google spying services (mostly).
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Post by sunrat »

Google dropped "Don't be evil". Now it's "Don't be evil, unless it is profitable".
I'm not sure if they ever had any real community spirit, but they have certainly evolved into a predatory megacorporation.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

golinux

#4 Post by golinux »

sunrat wrote:Google dropped "Don't be evil". Now it's "Don't be evil, unless it is profitable".
I'm not sure if they ever had any real community spirit, but they have certainly evolved into a predatory megacorporation.
They were very good propagandists and most of us fell for it.
May the FORK be with you!

trinidad

#5 Post by trinidad »

Seems like nonsense and more veiled open source rights infringement. Could just be the fact that MS Edge for Linux is based on Chromium.

TC
You can't believe your eyes if your imagination is out of focus.

Deb-fan

#6 Post by Deb-fan »

I mostly use Firefox, like 99.93% of the time, so of course don't overly care what Google decides to do here. This makes sense, Google is a business that makes a nice chunk of their revenues from advertising. Are already dominating in web search, including the web-browser arena = Chrome has smashed all competitors, in terms of numbers and users. Not necessarily in being the best browser ...

Only saying from their perspective it makes perfect sense. Any of those projects based on Chrome/iums-etc codebase in which the maintainers and developers are competent can adapt, just as people have demonstrated with other Google API's or getting access to whatever services Google Inc makes available ie: Youtube. Assuming it'll just make it more difficult for those projects to whatever extent.

May as well babble about my views on this kind of topic overall. As a techie and nixer yeah ... Google Inc and the amount of control and influence they've amassed are concerning. History has shown again and again, too much power congregated into too few hands almost always doesn't turn out for the best in terms of the common good. At the same time Google Inc does provide a metric crapton of useful and high quality services too. Also I don't doubt they have some of the best of the best in technology working there.

Guess my stance on it is while I do use some of Google's services any web-browser they're closely associated with isn't going to be one of them. Not that Chrome-etc isn't or can't be really good in terms of quality, features or performance, only that I prefer Firefox and it makes me uncomfortable the degree to which Google Inc has managed to push things. It's almost like it's gone full circle, as the web was back when Microsoft and Internet Explorer were dominating the web. Now Google's firmly in the drivers seat when it comes to influence there.

Mozilla and Firefox broke that cycle back then, introduced a serious alternative and competitor to IE and it's a good thing it happened. Mozilla's still hanging on, Firefox in my view is still an awesome browser. So I'd say forget Chrome/ium and use Firefox, I think it's the best browser around anyway. At least there's nothing any better I'm aware of. Mozilla's done much to rebound and make improvements too. Personally think every web-browser I've ever used wasn't the greatest out-of-box. A person has to learn about and tune them.

Knowledge is power, those who learn about whatever can understand and control it to greater degree, those which don't are left to the mercy of others and whatever agenda's they might have when using their technology.
Last edited by Deb-fan on 2021-02-03 00:03, edited 1 time in total.
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#7 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

Deb-fan wrote:Google is a business that makes a nice chunk of their revenues from advertising.
That's not very accurate statement: Google is creating information bubbles by profiling the users, and they are using those bubbles to define a set advertisements which are matching user's interests ... or ... they are actually matching user's weaknesses.
Side effect is, that Google' search engine is no longer useful - You can only search within a bubble created around Your profile, which is defined by the AI.
Of course, Google AI knows better what information You have deserved to get ...
trinidad wrote:Seems like nonsense and more veiled open source rights infringement. Could just be the fact that MS Edge for Linux is based on Chromium. (...)
Ha! good point, but it's not only for Linux ;) I wonder how many people still believes the Microsoft is able to create some new software without stealing the code & ideas ...
<MS Edge> With speed, performance, best in class compatibility for websites and extensions, and built-in privacy and security features, it's the only browser you'll ever need.
:lol: ... liars ...
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."

Deb-fan

#8 Post by Deb-fan »

Now it's all starting to make sense, google has embubblated me !!! Damn them, the dirty devious dogs ! I often search for tech-related stuff, been wondering why everytime I go to Youtube and search for funny pet video's, they keep showing me kittens and puppies using Linux !!! They must be stopped at all costs, why wasn't I informed !??!

Joke opportunity I just couldn't pass up. :P

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#9 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

Deb-fan wrote:I often search for tech-related stuff, been wondering why everytime I go to Youtube and search for funny pet video's, they keep showing me kittens and puppies using Linux !!!
.. probably the AI have classified You as a pet fan - do You have any cats? I have 2, and 2 dogs (Labrador and an Asian wolf) - can You imagine that war inside the house? ;)

Deb-fan

#10 Post by Deb-fan »

^ Lol sounds like you've got your hands full for sure and plenty of company but think animals are awesome. I usually remember to give a can of tuna a couple times a week to a gray stray, he's been around this property for many years and is one of the fella's, is an old battle scarred veteran. Some others put food out for him too.

Always been more of a dog person. Have a long standing pet theory (pun intended) that cat's actually are plotting to take over the world or maybe ... they already have, DUN DUN DUNNNN !!! :D