Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

I will try stable this time and will write about here.

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
night

I will try stable this time and will write about here.

#1 Post by night »

Hello. I am Linux user since 2007.
Last week i tried Debian unstable and got strange and bad result: after using it for some hours, Debian unstable started to hang, with mouse being able to move very slowly and it can be told even, that system stopped working.
I used official and latest Debian testing netinst and when had testing, changed sources.list to point to unstable, not to testing, then upgraded all packages, restarted computer.
Many years before, i did it and that worked well - i had Debian unstable, which worked without errors.
Now i want to know where the reason is, and, i am going to install Debian stable and will write how and where it goes.
While i am installing, i want to ask a question: ...maybe this system freeze, or hang, i do not know how to say, is already known? If yes, what it might be? Free space was enough - about 200 GB free, no prioprietary software installed, nor nvidia drivers (i have nvidia), nor proprietary browsers, none.
I use system, which is now UEFI and i installed all this in UEFI mode and booted so. Maybe i should try BIOS mode?..

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: I will try stable this time and will write about here.

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Did you install the CPU µcode and firmware-misc-nonfree packages? Intel CPUs in particular need the µcode fixes and the nouveau driver won't work properly without firmware for some NVIDIA cards.
deadbang

night

Re: I will try stable this time and will write about here.

#3 Post by night »

Thank you, i will write this to my technical notebook for future to find and to do.
This time i did this: in UEFI i disabled all boot options with UEFI, that only BIOS mode would be left;
then, i booted Debian Stable amd64 netinst in Expert Install and installed Debian choosing to use all hard drive and one partition for all, default packages configuration - Debian Desktop, Printing, System Utilities; no customizations.
After install successfully booted into now, BIOS, system.
All works still: thunderbird, firefox, youtube, i installed many various packages which i needed, including vlc, gparted, gnome-multi-writer and so on.
Being stable version and being installed in BIOS and booted in BIOS mode again it works now... :) ...i would report in the forum and after in bug tracking system if something would be wrong, but it seems, all works now.
I did not installed those firmware packages at first installs, even when in UEFI mode, so, it could be a reason. For now it still works without aditional firmware, so i will test it as it is.
Thank You for fast response and for information, i will know about firmware now, if i will have similar dificulties with system again.
Debian is Great! :)