Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Article] Debian ISO FastInstall

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: [Article] Debian ISO FastInstall

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

The eatmydata package stops APT from calling fsync() during package operations. It is not enabled by default because a power cut can result in data loss, hence the name of the package.
deadbang

ValdikSS

#3 Post by ValdikSS »

The core of the issue is dpkg, which uses fsync without any way to disable it where it's not needed (in the OS installation stage). One may argue there's --force-unsafe-io option, but it disables fsync only in for file unpacking stage, which helps a bit, but not to a great extent.

To speed up the installation, there was an attempt to use eatmydata in eatmydata-udeb package. It's included into ISO file but it's useless without eatmydata package and libeatmydata1 library, which neither included in the ISO nor are downloaded from the internet if it's available upon installation.
Not to mention that eatmydata-udeb is not enabled by default (could be activated with kernel cmdline or preseed file), and only speeds up second installation stage (when tasksel menu is shown).

Ideally, --force-disable-fsync option should be introduced into dpkg, used by debootstrap and d-i. This would fix all issues regarding slow installation without any workarounds.

I've created several bug reports and bumped old ones for packages to be fixed (eatmydata-udeb, calamares, debootstrap) and planning to prepare the patch for dpkg. We'll see how it goes.

Deb-fan

#4 Post by Deb-fan »

Interesting stuff about fsync fella's. Was going to do some good ole fashion Debian fanboi'ish frothing @ mouth but not in the frothing type mood atm. :)

Well mayhaps a bit, think it's cool whenever geeks push the envelope, wherever enhancements or improvements can be made and end-of-day thank goodness they'll keep on doing that as long as there are geeks-nixers and techies in the world. Again ... didn't read the cited article, only going off what I think is the gist of the thread. Whether talking personal or commercial use view this as irrelevant overall. Even on generally dated hardware installing Debian, the actual install itself isn't what I could describe as lengthy.

I try to look at it this way, folks involved with the Debian project and just open source in general have spent decades creating all this awesomeness. Having to devote an hour or less every couple/three years or so to install latest Debian stable is nothing and of course that time is pretty much strictly for my own benefit anyway. Just as it is for others opting to use Debian, surely they're doing so because it's in their own best interests. Still if someone improves upon it (cuts down install time), then it's a win for everyone and thanks @Arochester for starting another interesting thread, fsync was/is new to me.

Viva la Debian !!! :)

PS, afterthoughts arghhhh: If talking about mass deployment = enterprise and commercial, the lifes blood and driving force behind gnu/Linux then am about 100% sure there are more than several tools and techniques which nixers have developed and shared on streamlining that type of thing. I'm not an IT-pro, don't do tech for a living and several come to mind off the top. Likely wouldn't even use the Debian installer to do such. Would depend on the situation, details involved etc.
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *