Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Article] Things Most People Do After Installing Debian

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

[Article] Things Most People Do After Installing Debian

#1 Post by arochester »

Should a script be allowed to install things? https://linuxstans.com/things-most-peop ... ng-debian/
Automatic Method
I wanted to go over each of those steps one-by-one so you can take note of them. However, I’ve made a script which does all of the above steps automatically, that you can run by issuing a bash one-liner in the terminal. If you’d rather do the above steps all at once, simply enter this in your terminal after installing Debian, and everything should happen automatically
Is it GOOD? Is it BAD? Should it be CHANGED?

Bulkley

Re: [Article] Things Most People Do After Installing Debian

#2 Post by Bulkley »

Carter loses me with his assumption of "most people." I'm sure that most people buy a computer or hand held device with an OS already installed and that's as close as they will ever be to installing an OS. On the other hand, a high proportion of Linux users have to do their own installs and that leans toward customization and that's where Carter runs into trouble. For example, one thing I do not do is the first item on Carter's list, enable Sudo; don't like it, rarely use it.

Where I think Carter's idea has merit is for an IT to prepare hundreds of machines to be used by employees in a large organization. The script driven install could speed things up. The one hitch is that the end user is still going to have to enter ID and password.

kalle123

#3 Post by kalle123 »

Not a bad idea. But I do it my way. :wink:

When I start with a new distro or version, I start a new LO document, where I make my notes.

Here the first page of my BUSTER document. Now has 30 pages.

I now started a dual boot with BUSTER and BULLSEYE and first page of the new BULLSEYE document has been written.

br KH

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

arochester wrote:BAD
^ This. For so many reasons.
deadbang

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Post by sunrat »

Title should be "My personal method for Debian post-install". Most people don't do it like that.
I just wrote a guide to how I installed Bullseye/KDE as an audio production system on Linux Musicians forum. I made it clear a few times it was my personal setup which people were free to follow some or all of it, or not. No script, that's scary.
Verdict on article - BAD in its current incantation.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Deb-fan

#6 Post by Deb-fan »

Not inclined to read, opinions are like aholes, everybody's got em. Anyway purpose for posting ... A glorious joke opportunity I cannot pass up.

Not sure what most people do after installing Debian though do know what way too many folks don't do before, during or after installing Debian = RTFM. :D
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

Bulkley

#7 Post by Bulkley »

^^^ :lol: You got that right.

trinidad

#8 Post by trinidad »

I'm sure that most people buy a computer or hand held device with an OS already installed and that's as close as they will ever be to installing an OS
Absolutely true of consumer market.
for an IT to prepare hundreds of machines to be used by employees in a large organization
For consistency and security yes ...
one hitch is that the end user is still going to have to enter ID and password
...why bother when you can use an OEM installer option, which allows the user info to be created via the GUI of an already installed system as the preferred behaviour. All you really want to control is what software gets installed from the ISO for consistency across a large private network of users which you would normally build yourself for such cases. You actually would want every user to have to create his own user and password.

Linux OS workstations strung across a large private business network require considerable effort toward in house security, and even one Linux OS workstation on an AD network can be just as difficult to secure internally. Virtual Linux OSs are less problematic as far as internal security. Still employee vetting and NCAs are common in large engineering firms that utilize Linux OS workstations. The article is dopey and poorly written and sends inexperienced users in the wrong direction, and is not useful/applicable/informative at all for a large business network environment.

TC
You can't believe your eyes if your imagination is out of focus.