Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian disrespect

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
arid

Debian disrespect

#1 Post by arid »

This site shows disrespect for debian and especially the developers.

Developers spend their lives, some without or very little $$ compensation, coding for the future so linux is easier to install, understand and maintain for the average person.

Some on this forum seem to dwell in the past and would have you believe the 'old' ways are best and their posts reflect this attitude.

Well they are not.

Thanks to these developers I can install so called 'unstable' and then maintain it with a few mouse clicks a day rather than spending an inordinate amount of time trying to remember and type keyboard sequences in a terminal. This is one small example.

If that is your 'thing', that is fine for you but that is not the attitude that will attract and keep a significant percentage of the population with linux systems.

When a person learns to drive they don't take courses in how a 4 cycle internal combustion engine, electric motors or the hundreds of other vehicle parts and systems function.

The vast majority of people learn how to drive very efficiently and know what they need to know on how to maintain their vehicles without ever getting 'under the hood' or knowing how anything in that vehicle actually works.

You don't need to know how linux 'works'. You just need to know how to 'drive' it. That's what the developers strive for. Easier to drive=most popular. One of the worlds richest men knew that and his efforts still rule home computers.

I'm old so I get to tell you to 'stick' the 'old ways'.

How old you ponder? My premature condolences, but statistically speaking, most of you will never get there. :mrgreen:
There's no drama in my sid......

golinux

Re: Debian disrespect

#2 Post by golinux »

Convenience is a trap. You give up autonomy to someone else and pay for it with your freedom in the end. I'll soon be closing out four score on this planet and really am not that much of a geek but I have learned something about life. It's always better to be self-sufficient than rely on the whims of those who in the end do not have your best interests in mind but care only about the the assets that can be extracted from you for profit.
May the FORK be with you!

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

arid wrote:Some on this forum seem to dwell in the past and would have you believe the 'old' ways are best and their posts reflect this attitude
If by "old ways" you mean the command line then yes, that is the best. Babies point, adults talk :mrgreen:
arid wrote:that is not the attitude that will attract and keep a significant percentage of the population with linux systems
I do not care about attracting people to GNU/Linux. It makes no difference to me.
deadbang

RU55EL

#4 Post by RU55EL »

arid wrote:This site shows disrespect for debian and especially the developers.
Should the subject line be "Disrespecting Debian" instead of "Debian disrespect"? Debian disrespect sounds like Debian is disrespecting us.
arid wrote: Thanks to these developers I can install so called 'unstable' and then maintain it with a few mouse clicks a day rather than spending an inordinate amount of time trying to remember and type keyboard sequences in a terminal. This is one small example.
One small example of what? I can frequently get more done with one or two commands at the terminal than dozens of "clicks." In fact, some tasks would be inordinately difficult to perform with just the mouse.
arid wrote: The vast majority of people learn how to drive very efficiently and know what they need to know on how to maintain their vehicles without ever getting 'under the hood' or knowing how anything in that vehicle actually works.
I don't think that using the command line (if that's what your implying) is getting 'under the hood.' The command line is the steering wheel! The command line is what you use to operate the machine. The graphical interface is another way to operate the machine.

The vast majority of drivers where I live seem to have obtained their driver's license from a crackerjack box. I would be very happy if they could simply follow the rules of the road.
arid wrote: You don't need to know how linux 'works'. You just need to know how to 'drive' it. That's what the developers strive for. Easier to drive=most popular. One of the worlds richest men knew that and his efforts still rule home computers.
Which Debian developer told you that? I don't think Debian developers are striving for Debian to be the most popular, I think they are striving for Debian to operate well and be useful.

Bill Gate exploited an opportunity for monopoly. That is why so many people use such a "pain in the ass to use" (in my opinion) operating system called Windows.
arid wrote: I'm old so I get to tell you to 'stick' the 'old ways'.
What does age have to do with it? I still use a knife to cut vegetables, just like people did hundreds of years ago. Does that mean it is the "old way?" We should decide how to do things by how well the method works, no matter how old or new the method.

vmclark

#5 Post by vmclark »

This site shows disrespect for debian and especially the developers.
Please give an example!

wino

#6 Post by wino »

i agree with the OP. a coupld of years ago people here were plain nasty. and i am over 70 yrs too. this so called forum bugged me a lot and even though i used debian - i have gone elsewehere where it is based idrectly off of debian and the people and developers are so much nicer and DO help. Op try MX! you will be glad you did.

generally people here are better than a couple of years back but I too think they are snobs. there - said it.

I still respect debian a lot but thre are better cars for users out there. there is another daily 'driver' out there for your use. don't forget to keep the top down and enjoy the ride!

wino

#7 Post by wino »

oh - OP - there are also non-free debians iso's too which will make things much easier. you need help finding them - let me know - they are a bit difficult to find on the debian site.

RU55EL

#8 Post by RU55EL »

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#9 Post by Hallvor »

[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

wino

#10 Post by wino »

first not nice to talk about yourself that way. 2nd - i was just being honest. this place has come a long way for the good.

do not walk around with blinders on unless you live on a farm as i do.

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#11 Post by steve_v »

I see the ridiculous noob-rebellion is still alive and well in here, and the help-vampires are still multiplying. Reminds me why I moved (back) to a real distro.
arid wrote: Developers spend their lives, some without or very little $$ compensation, coding for the future so linux is easier to install, understand and maintain for the average person.
Some of the developers are working on that kind of thing. Yet 90+% of GNU/Linux systems are still servers and embedded appliances, so claiming that the "future" is easier desktop installs for average people is disingenuous at best.
arid wrote:Some on this forum seem to dwell in the past and would have you believe the 'old' ways are best
Just because you don't understand something doesn't make it any less true or useful. Perhaps you should try learning some of those ways so you can accurately judge for yourself?
arid wrote:trying to remember and type keyboard sequences in a terminal.
People ask you to run things at the terminal because a) It's considerably easier to post textual commands and output in a text-based forum than it is to explain with pictures. and b) That's how things work behind the GUI anyway.
arid wrote:attract and keep a significant percentage of the population with linux systems.
Nobody cares.
arid wrote:The vast majority of people learn how to drive very efficiently and know what they need to know on how to maintain their vehicles without ever getting 'under the hood' or knowing how anything in that vehicle actually works.
And then they pay someone else to fix it, because they don't know how it works. There's no paid GNU/Linux help service here, so you're expected to pitch it on solving your own problems. That means you will have to get your hands dirty.
arid wrote:Easier to drive=most popular.
Again, nobody cares.
arid wrote:One of the worlds richest men knew that and his efforts still rule home computers.
One of the worlds richest men knew how to manipulate the market, undermine the competition, and get hardware vendors to preinstall his product.
arid wrote:I'm old so I get to tell you to 'stick' the 'old ways'.
Age does not always beget wisdom, clearly.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

trinidad

#12 Post by trinidad »

Easier to drive=most popular

To stick with your inappropriate analogy: Most OTR truck drivers would disagree with this.
This site shows disrespect for debian
Finally, it's human nature to disrespect something that's free. Doesn't cost a dime so that's what it's worth. You get to decide it's value to you, but not to anybody else. I think that's basically freedom of religion.

TC
You can't believe your eyes if your imagination is out of focus.

wino

#13 Post by wino »

what a bunch of wackos! it's a pity!!!

golinux

#14 Post by golinux »

wino wrote:what a bunch of wackos! it's a pity!!!
When one does not have an intelligent comment to offer, why is name-calling so often the chosen response . . . sigh. If you don't like it here, please feel free to go elsewhere (asap).
May the FORK be with you!