Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Quite pleased with Debian 11

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
PDA123

Quite pleased with Debian 11

#1 Post by PDA123 »

Started using Debian 11 back in April of this year. Got an old thrown-out 64 bit computer and loaded Debian onto it. My previous experience was with Ubuntu and enjoyed it for 13 years but was always curious about Debian.

So far I have no complaints with Debian and am very happy I moved to it. I'm sure some will disagree but I've found Debian to be much simpler and easier to use than Ubuntu. I'm probably just getting older and more familiar with Linux.

You may find this odd but I moved to Linux (Ubuntu) back in 2008 from Window$ because Quacken (Intuit) decided to start charging every two years so that you could download financial information into Quicken. Said I to myself, "I'm not paying for that!" I learned about GnuCash....which at the time ran best on Linux so I kicked Bill Gates to the curb.

So that's that!

Peter

RU55EL

Re: Quite pleased with Debian 11

#2 Post by RU55EL »

I used Ubuntu for a while, but was a little disappointed with the lack of stability. Once I found Debian, I never looked back! Also, a similar thing happened with personal accounting software. Once I found GNUcash, that is all I use to keep track of my finances. Great stuff!

PDA123

#3 Post by PDA123 »

Oh....forgot to mention- I have an iPod (remember them?) and use GTK-Pod which works perfectly for the iPod. So that's the end of iTunes or whatever that thing was called.

The crash of the US economy in 2008 (one of the many economic crashes in my lifetime...I'm pretty old) was instrumental in my not wanting to keep buying the windows latest-greatest-promise-the-world-and-do-nothing-versions. That stuff's sickening.

Welcome to paradise!

ticojohn

#4 Post by ticojohn »

RU55EL wrote:I used Ubuntu for a while, but was a little disappointed with the lack of stability. Once I found Debian, I never looked back! Also, a similar thing happened with personal accounting software. Once I found GNUcash, that is all I use to keep track of my finances. Great stuff!
I started my Linux experience with Knoppix then installed Ubuntu on my Intel NUC so I could use Kodi. I didn't much care for Ubuntu and the constant notices of software updates available. Reminded me too much of Microsux. But what really nixed Ubuntu for me was when I applied the suggested update and the system crashed. Fortunately Debian Jessie became available and I was able to install Kodi. Never looked back.

And to be clear, it wasn't called Kodi at that time, it was XBMC.
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.