Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Removed

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
golinux

Removed

#1 Post by golinux »

Thread was about changes to the Debian website that apparently happened some time ago though it was news to me. So really nothing to report or discuss.
Last edited by golinux on 2021-07-17 22:03, edited 2 times in total.
May the FORK be with you!

donald
Debian Developer, Site Admin

Re: New Debian website (if you can call it that)

#2 Post by donald »

golinux wrote: 2021-07-16 00:53 What have they been smoking in Debian-land? New site is absolutely useless. Basically a white page with some images and a few links. This does not inspire confidence in Debian's future and is fugly to boot! </end rant>

Thanks for listening
What Debian website?
Typo perfectionish.

"The advice given above is all good, and just because a new message has appeared it does not mean that a problem has arisen, just that a new gremlin hiding in the hardware has been exposed." - FreewheelinFrank

golinux

Re: New Debian website (if you can call it that)

#3 Post by golinux »

donald wrote: 2021-07-16 02:02What Debian website?
debian.org
I edited the topic for clarity. Was so stunned I'm not thinking quite straight . . .

donald

Re: New debian.org website (if you can call it that)

#4 Post by donald »

I think you must be trolling. The updated website has been in place since December of 2020 and it is now July of 2021. The website revamp work is primarily on the back end, lots of cleaning, moving, and updating of information. It also places the download section prominently on the front page where users can find it easily.

The second part of the revamp also appeals to the community for help with improving the layout, design, and other elements. I suspect you may have missed the news article, it is here: https://bits.debian.org/2020/12/debian- ... epage.html

If you would like to contribute to the process of updating the webpage, rather than lambasting it here you should reach out to the web-team at: debian-www@lists.debian.org. We’ll look for your email. :)
Typo perfectionish.

"The advice given above is all good, and just because a new message has appeared it does not mean that a problem has arisen, just that a new gremlin hiding in the hardware has been exposed." - FreewheelinFrank

golinux

#5 Post by golinux »

Well, it's new to me because I haven't been to the Debian website in a very long time. I spend my Debian time here on the forum. I read a comment earlier today about the not-so-new site from someone who obviously assumed the same as I did. You can just delete this post then as it is not timely.

Bulkley

#6 Post by Bulkley »

No, he's not trolling. I've had that page bookmarked for years but never seeing it like it looks today. It's not a problem, just a surprise.

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#7 Post by steve_v »

I'd call the timeouts I've been getting off-and-on all week for various *.debian.org sites a problem... As for the new design, can't see it, can't comment.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

Loci.Cantos

Re: Removed

#8 Post by Loci.Cantos »

It looks something like a cover sheet. The old site was good, I liked it. But, it was very busy looking too, with lots of link targets. The new page seems to be offering more of a taxonomical breakout, listing only the primary headings on the cover. At first glance it looks like everything is gone, but by clicking the various top-level links one may drill down and find what he, she, or they seek. The 'More...' selection under the "The Operating System" heading seems minimalist, perhaps even a bit abrupt, but it works just fine and opens onto a robust list of second-tier options.