Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian 11 honnest disussion ( Very positive !! )

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
jmgibson1981

Re: Debian 11 honnest disussion ( Very positive !! )

#21 Post by jmgibson1981 »

Just an update to my earlier post about some random issues I've been having.

I got an idea to build a wood case for my computer out of maple or something. Make it a work of art type of thing. I took it apart, got the mobo tray out of the current case and mounted it on a piece of plywood mainly to test positioning of parts on the backing. I had it running and noticed my temps significantly lower than in the case. I upgraded the fan on my cpu and gained more on the cpu. I installed Ubuntu Jammy on it and haven't had a single problem. I'm debating switching it back to Debian.

At this point I'm just fairly certain I was dealing with over heating. It would idle at 55-60c, load at 80c on the cpu. Now the idle is 35-40c with a 50c max load. Also far quieter as the fan isn't running flat out anymore. Never occurred to me to check the temps before I decided to change the case. I was under the impression that cases were generally designed to make the air move a certain way for best air movement. Wrong I was, at least for this old case.

regor

#22 Post by regor »

I just upgraded my laptop to Debian 11 from Debian 10. The only regret I have is that I didn't get everything working before upgrading. My laptop is am HP with built-in networking, touch screen, and blue tooth. I had the bluetooth working correctly for about 5 minutes this afternoon, and it disabled my WIFI connection. Then I installed software to compose, edit and print sheet music. This was interesting... It disabled my CUPS printing, and messed up my ability to view any PDF files on my system. I had to remove and reinstall about 15 programs to get the system back to usable state. I am looking forward to a few months of stability before something breaks again. Microsoft upgraded me to 11, which broke almost every app I use, and I can't easily go back to 10. I guess I'm going to keep Debian 11 for a while. I used Redhat, Fedora, Ubuntu, and Solaris in the past. This time I selected Debian because it doesn't try to force me to do things in a different way than I'm used to. One big change was to doing everything as a root user because the installation didn't set up SUDO correctly. It only took a few minutes of web surfing to find the solution for that one. I even had to get root sign-on fixed because su didn't work either, and I don't know how to fix a system if I can't log in as an admin user.

Now that my system is working as expected, I should be able to keep it running smoothly. The first time I tried to install Linux I hunted for a distro that could be downloaded over my dial-up compuserve account. Back then the Debian installer didn't work very well, but many improvements to the installer, system components, and user applications have made Debian a good choice. If I could get bluetooth working without killing WIFI the Linux world would be great, but I'm willing to settle for almost there! I think microcode and firmware that is not open source is causing my problems. Realtek is not real friendly with providing Linux users with what they need and I don't have a way to replace the built-in hardware.

I am looking forward to being productive with my Linux machine, even if it means I am going to have to teach it some if what it should already know.

Roger aka Regor by my gaming friends.

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#23 Post by Hallvor »

I also have a computer where the WiFi and bluetooth are in conflict. Read this:

https://superuser.com/questions/885380/ ... -laptop-pc
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

regor

#24 Post by regor »

Interesting reading, Hallvor, unfortunately my laptop Bluetooth and WIFI work great together with Windows 10 or 11, but Debian doesn't see the Bluetooth at all with the current version. While running some of the older Bluetooth and WIFI software (downgrading) fixed the Bluetooth it caused the WIFI to continually switch off, and back on again (while the Bluetooth continued to function normally.) Some of the programs I use on a regular basis would not load while the downgraded Bluetooth software was running, so I made a choice to use WIFI without Bluetooth.

I might need to take a shot at comparing the code differences to see if I can fix the current software. It is the first time I have experienced an upgrade to Linux reducing functionality of a computer.

Roger.

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#25 Post by Hallvor »

It's probably the same problem, then. I never tested my laptop with Windows, but I admit it would be strange if they manufactured and sold a product where Bluetooth effectively jammed WiFi by default.

I would love to hear from you if you find a solution.
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

BBQdave
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#26 Post by BBQdave »

I'm late to the party, but I am impressed and enjoying Debian 11 - Gnome :)

I added flatpak, and loaded GIMP and Darktable. Updating of these photo editing applications have been automatic and no need to reboot. Huge difference between current version of Darktable and older version available for Debian 11.

Firefox ESR and default applications with Gnome work as expected and nicely integrated in the DE. Great to have a stable GNU/Linux distro and current photo editing applications!

2023-04-12 Edit: Debian 11 is my daily driver, and is incredibly comfortable to use. I am enjoying this distro so much that I am a little torn. Though I am excited for the upcoming release of Debian 12, it will have a high bar to surpass Debian 11.

So I am contemplating hanging onto Debian 11 for awhile before I make the jump to Debian 12. Tough choices that are good choices :D
On quest for blue smoke and red rings!
Debian 12 Toshiba Satellite C655 | i3 2.3Ghz | Intel HD Graphics 3000 | 8GB RAM | 65GB SSD