Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

first time with Debian was in 2001 with knoppix

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
natewrench

first time with Debian was in 2001 with knoppix

#1 Post by natewrench »

Hi, this is a remembrance of Debian's first days for me, in 2001 I downloaded Knoppix Linux off of a warez site on IRC. It was the first live cd distro so I could try it without wiping my windows pc. I remember loading into KDE because I remember that gear logo, but technically it was my first stint with gnu/Linux though don't quote me on that, I used mac osx though technically it's all Unix/Unix-like when I was young. I remember the colorful bootup text loading the kernel and the penguin, I was in awe but had no idea how to use it, I think when I got into the DE I ran Netscape Navigator I think or Mozilla, and AbiWord/Gnumeric for office stuff. I miss those days, now I use a combination of Debian/arch/fedora to get myself acquainted with several distros but I think they all communicate with each other in a spiritual way. I read the Debian manifesto and I guess ian got his wish of a more perfect distro. Sad I never got to meet him in real life.

johnsonmt01

Re: first time with Debian was in 2001 with knoppix

#2 Post by johnsonmt01 »

Knoppix was also my first Linux experience as a college sophomore (2002-2003). After "upgrading" my laptop to Windows ME, a classmate overheard my complaints and offered me an alternative. It was a fun testing experience, but I ended up moving to Windows XP instead.

I tried Ubuntu and Mint in 2011, but it wouldn't be until 2020 that I stuck with Linux long-term. Mint was my distro of choice until I read up on Debian. Considering Mint is descended from Debian, I wanted to see if I could start at the source distro and "get there from here." Now I have a well-crafted and comfortable Debian Cinnamon setup, and couldn't be happier.

ticojohn

#3 Post by ticojohn »

Knoppix was also my first Linux experience, around 2007. I actually installed Knoppix on an external USB drive. Slow but worked well. Gave me a chance to learn enough about Linux that I knew that my days with Windows were coming to a close. Thank you Knoppix for setting me free.
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.

southern_admin

#4 Post by southern_admin »

Knoppix! I still remember the first time I used it some time around 2005 or 2006-ish. "Initiating start up sequence" Haha!

It saved my bacon more than once. Now that Linux has a proper NTFS driver, distributions like Knoppix can become more potent. You'll be able to use it to move & resize partitions without fear of data loss.