Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

New debian user :-)

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
pepper

New debian user :-)

#1 Post by pepper »

Thirty years plus using Linux and never a full blown Debian on my machine. Today, however, that all changed. Today Debian Bullseye11 resides on a 32GB thumb drive, and I'm blown away by it's responsiveness, and speed of action. This is my first distro thumb drive and I'm loving it :-).

Onsemeliot

Re: New debian user :-)

#2 Post by Onsemeliot »

I can relate to that experience. But I suspect it would be more responsive actually installed on a SSD.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Post by sunrat »

Welcome to the Debian club @pepper ! Many here have been using Debian for years and would never consider any other distro. :wink: 8)

Some USB flash keys are extremely fast these days. I have a SanDisk Extreme 32GB with AVL-MXE live which is virtually indistinguishable from the same distro installed on SSD.
My daily driver Bullseye is installed to SSD though as SSD is much more reliable than a flash drive.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

bedtime

#4 Post by bedtime »

pepper wrote: 2022-02-13 23:32 Thirty years plus using Linux and never a full blown Debian on my machine. Today, however, that all changed. Today Debian Bullseye11 resides on a 32GB thumb drive, and I'm blown away by it's responsiveness, and speed of action. This is my first distro thumb drive and I'm loving it :-).
Hope you're still around?

In any event, I run my main system on a USB stick due to my spin drive not working anymore. On my 12+ year old DELL laptop, this setup boots BTRFS from the USB stick in less that 7 seconds, so I'm extremely happy with the speed of Debian. The stability is above any other distro I've used as well. I've been running Linux for about 15+ years or so myself.

Anyways, hope you stick with it a little; I see you only have 1 post...

DN-gian5x

#5 Post by DN-gian5x »

pepper wrote: 2022-02-13 23:32 Thirty years plus using Linux and never a full blown Debian on my machine. Today, however, that all changed. Today Debian Bullseye11 resides on a 32GB thumb drive, and I'm blown away by it's responsiveness, and speed of action. This is my first distro thumb drive and I'm loving it :-).
Welcome to Debian! :)