Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How does debian-installer set the swap size?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
Noah Engle

How does debian-installer set the swap size?

#1 Post by Noah Engle »

Hello, I want to know how Debian chooses the size of the swap partition when using guided partitioning. I've done some research, and it looks like the program partman-auto uses recipes to generate the partitions. After doing some research on how the recipes work, I found that swap generated should be equal to the amount of installed RAM (except if you have less than 512 MB, in which case it will rise to a maximum of 200% of your ram size).

But, looking at my PC and laptop, I see that both of them report a 1 GB swap partition. Why is this? Is there some sort of override somewhere that I'm not seeing?

links:

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

Re: How does debian-installer set the swap size?

#2 Post by 4D696B65 »

You are not the first to report this. It seems like an installer bug.

My preferred method is to use manual partitioning.

Noah Engle

#3 Post by Noah Engle »

so it is a bug? That's a relief, I was kind of going insane and redoing the math and rereading articles thinking that I missed something :lol:

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by sunrat »

4D696B65 wrote: 2022-08-19 00:53My preferred method is to use manual partitioning.
+1. The only way IMO.
If guided actually created 16GB swap on my system with 16GB RAM I would not be happy. It barely uses any swap (currently zero with a day uptime) with this much or more RAM.
Obviously individual use cases differ. A server may use more than a home desktop. If one suspends the system it needs swap space to save current state.
I doubt any recipe could possibly be effective for all cases.
Manual partitioning FTW! :wink:
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!