Why do you use debian?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
craigevil

Re: Why do you use debian?

#16 Post by craigevil »

What else is there?

What other distro can I upgrade on a daily basis and still have it run smoothly after 5 years?
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS (Unstable) Kernel: 5.10.52-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"

kabniel

#17 Post by kabniel »

Because i am cool, and all the cool kids use Debian

infinitycircuit

#18 Post by infinitycircuit »

There are many reasons I use Debian, many coming down to my respect for the vast infrastructure that supports Debian and keeps it running. I also use it because I understand how the system works and know how to package for Debian. But I think it ultimately comes down to what Lavene said--years ago I decided to invest time into learning Debian, and now the opportunity cost of switching means I stick with it.
I am currently a Debian Maintainer. I am also in the New Maintainers' Queue.

cynwulf

#19 Post by cynwulf »

It's hard to answer this without referring to that other distro. I use Debian because it's secure, stable, clean, truly free and no nonsense. I don't see the point in using Debian derivative distributions nor do I see how such distributions can make such absurd claims that their distro is somehow more "user friendly" and "easier" than other comparable GNU/Linux distributions when said distributions break much more often, are largely based on Debian Unstable and still end up requiring a lot of terminal work to get things fixed (though their forum regulars will tell you "just reinstall").

MALsPa

#20 Post by MALsPa »

Currently multi-booting with Debian Lenny, Mepis 8, Mint Elyssa, and Ubuntu Hardy. Debian took a little longer to install and set up than the others, but after that it seems to require a little less maintenance. I continue multi-booting this way because comparing things in the different distros seems to help me learn things. The other distros were generally quicker to install and set up. Debian seems a bit more solid overall, but I really don't run into many problems with any of the four.

bigbearomaha

#21 Post by bigbearomaha »

I use, in order of preference:
Debian, CentOS, OpenSuse, PCLinuxOS, Ubuntu

Edit: I forgot to put the reason why

Debian is at the top of the list becasue I find in terms of binary distributed distros ( as opposed to source based distros) Debian has the most comprehensive repos and list of applications at the ready.

It is versatile in terms of which repos one can use and the level or state of applications available ( ie.. having the stable, testing and unstable repos to choose from )

It is also 'typical' of Linux in terms of finding documents, books and other means of direction and education, it is one of the more commonly referred to in generic terms.

I also prefer it because in terms of development stability, outside of a company backed, paid staff developing for it, Debian has the most consistent development team and is not likely to disappear suddenly.

I do not consider myself a 'distro fanboy' in any way, I support linux as a whole, but i will always be one of the first to step forward and say that Debian is one of the best representatives of Linux as a whole that is currently available.
Last edited by bigbearomaha on 2009-05-27 15:12, edited 1 time in total.
Are you with a Small Business or School and interested in adopting Linux?
BEL Project is here to help. http://belproject.org

gnudude

#22 Post by gnudude »

cause all others create a strong localized vacuum...

Bro.Tiag

#23 Post by Bro.Tiag »

Because I can.

Jackiebrown

#24 Post by Jackiebrown »

Because of the Debian Social Contract

http://www.debian.org/social_contract

JonasJH

#25 Post by JonasJH »

Debian is fast,safe and very stable, dont know if i have to add much more :)

jalu

#26 Post by jalu »

besides the reasons allready said - its free and easy- :
the debian-community seems to be much more individualistic and tolerant:
no need to offend others with ones cuteness.
i think you got it.
Last edited by jalu on 2009-05-27 23:03, edited 1 time in total.

mojoman

#27 Post by mojoman »

A great package management system that also supplies an enormous amount of software (probably more than I'll use in ten lifetimes but I enjoy exploring and trying some of it out) combined with stability that beats just about anything.

I started out with Linux when I installed Ubuntu on a server I was setting up for internal use. Running it on windows I was forced to restart it a couple of times per week and a friend who ran a Debian server told me to try Linux and recommended that I'd start with Ubuntu. I was amazed at how stable it was (compared to ms that is) and the downside was that I learned very little as it is problems - or more importantly to solve problems - that generate knowledge and understanding. So I hooked up my laptop with Ubuntu as well. After a year I switched to Debian, which I think is a pretty natural way to move on. I've tried - and keep trying - other distros but I have yet to come across anything that can equal Debian. Right now I'm running testing on my desktop (where I also have some spare partitions to try out other distros just for fun) and my server runs stable. My old laptop is running sid.

Why do I use Debian? What else would I use?
/mojoman

sir fer

#28 Post by sir fer »

Debian? What's that?

I thought this was the win7 forum... :oops:

Seriously tho, my reasons are the same as many above, security, stability (even in testing) and cost effectiveness. After reading that suc-and-such distro is based on Debian like 100x or more, I thought there must be something to this Debian lark. For my money there's nothing better for the price haha :wink:

GOfree

#29 Post by GOfree »

Attachments
sexy-debian-desktop-linux-wallpapers-hot-bikini-girls-linux-backgrounds.jpg
sexy-debian-desktop-linux-wallpapers-hot-bikini-girls-linux-backgrounds.jpg (78.06 KiB) Viewed 10915 times
Last edited by GOfree on 2009-05-29 09:55, edited 2 times in total.

widz

#30 Post by widz »

How to lough at ubuntu-creeps for their ubuntu-photoshoped girls, when someone creates same sh*t for debian? :D
you have to laugh at the things that hurt you just to keep the world from running you plumb crazy

nitehawk

#31 Post by nitehawk »

@Lavene.........
I have come to realize that I stick with Debian much for the same reason people stick to Windows; I know it and it sort of works... switching distro would just be a big pita so i don't even look at the alternatives.
Thank you,.....for stating that. That's just about exactly why I keep coming back to Debian. I have been trying out other distros,.....but underneath, I am looking for exactly what Lavene has mentioned. I just want something stable, and that I can learn,...and STAY with. I know Debian will be around for a good long while,...so I figure I can spent the time to get to know it pretty well. For good or bad,..I guess it's me and Debian from now on.

GOfree

#32 Post by GOfree »

widz wrote:How to lough at ubuntu-creeps for their ubuntu-photoshoped girls, when someone creates same sh*t for debian? :D
Sorry, just having a little fun. :)
Last edited by GOfree on 2009-05-29 09:58, edited 1 time in total.

GOfree

#33 Post by GOfree »

Oh, by the way...

Here is a link to the debian wallpaper above and links to more information about the artist Rafael Bucio.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bucio/2207093765
http://www.flickr.com/people/bucio/
http://www.debian-mx.com/

You rock!

Where can I get the calendar?

GOfree

#34 Post by GOfree »

Ian Murdock started Debian with the right ideas.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Murdock
In January of 1994, Murdock issued the " Debian Manifesto." Written in the spirit of Stallman's "GNU Manifesto" from a decade before, it explained the importance of working closely with the Free Software Foundation. Murdock wrote:

"The Free Software Foundation plays an extremely important role in the future of Debian. By the simple fact that they will be distributing it, a message is sent to the world that Linux is not a commercial product and that it never should be, but that this does not mean that Linux will never be able to compete commercially. For those of you who disagree, I challenge you to rationalize the success of GNU Emacs and GCC, which are not commercial software but which have had quite an impact on the commercial market regardless of that fact.

The time has come to concentrate on the future of Linux rather than on the destructive goal of enriching oneself at the expense of the entire Linux community and its future. The development and distribution of Debian may not be the answer to the problems that I have outlined in the Manifesto, but I hope that it will at least attract enough attention to these problems to allow them to be solved."
While some viewed descriptions of Linux as a "variant" of the GNU Project as politically grasping, Murdock, already sympathetic to the free software cause, saw Stallman's request to call Debian's version GNU/Linux as reasonable. "It was more for unity than for credit," he says.
Free as in Freedom (Chapter 10), http://oreilly.com/openbook/freedom/ch10.html
Attachments
IanMurdockKeynote2.jpg
IanMurdockKeynote2.jpg (90.33 KiB) Viewed 10298 times

obeliks

#35 Post by obeliks »

Mostly because it's so well known and mature distro. Internet is full of Debian tips and tricks, so the answer to your problem is most likely already there. It's stable and very flexible. Oh, and it's one of my old time favourite distro. That's why :D