Why do you use debian?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
stratman4300

Re: Why do you use debian?

#46 Post by stratman4300 »

Use it mainly because:

a: i know it, in and out.
b: Nice rock solid distro, with good standards
c: Whenever i try anything else i just hate it and come back to Debian anyway..... :D

"Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega."

anarchyinc666

#47 Post by anarchyinc666 »

The reason that I use Debian is that is has a rock solid background of stability. Debian has been around pretty much since the beginning and is still here. They have got to be doing something right.

Actually, that is why I chose it to begin with.. The reason that I still use it is cause it is Debian,
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.12
GIT d- s: a- C++++ UL++++ P+ L+++ E-- W+++ N- o-- K- w++
O- M-- V-- PS+++ PE+++ Y PGP+++ t-- 5-- X+++ R* tv+++ b DI++++ D
G e+ h---- r+++ y++++
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

Debian-SID Xfce

Bro.Tiag

#48 Post by Bro.Tiag »

gnudude wrote:....not sure if you can use the same excuse twice...
Because I can and I did, OH, look I've used it a third time.

Cheers
ps-You do always seem to use apropos avatars, but this one me thinks is by far the best.

utam

#49 Post by utam »

because it's debian. why would i go to another? i'm in heaven now :D
Regards,
utam

JWJones

#50 Post by JWJones »

Tried the rest, sticking with the best.

debil

#51 Post by debil »

Don't know of a better system. It's the shit.

Main points being: free (in every sense of the word), true community product, aptitude, DFSG. To mention few.
Q: Why is the Eunux kernel so bloated?
A: It was made in the image of its founder.

edbarx

#52 Post by edbarx »

The emerging reason, is that there is no decent competitor that can be said to outperform Debian. Maybe, I am wrong, but I doubt it!
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

nitwit536

#53 Post by nitwit536 »

edbarx wrote:The emerging reason, is that there is no decent competitor that can be said to outperform Debian. Maybe, I am wrong, but I doubt it!
Competitors: CentOS/RHEL, SLED/SLES ?

drokmed

#54 Post by drokmed »

nitwit536 wrote:
edbarx wrote:The emerging reason, is that there is no decent competitor that can be said to outperform Debian. Maybe, I am wrong, but I doubt it!
He said outperform...

We used to have a SLES server. Overpriced, and ran too slowly. I replaced that box with a Debian stable box. Runs much faster. Better support (from here) too.

We still have a CentOS server. I'm pretty happy with it, even though it is RPM based. Performance wise, well, I haven't done any official tests, but it performs about the same as Debian IMHO. The CentOS forums are pretty quiet, compared to here.
Author of the Debian Linux Security Appliance Firewall howto, found here
Thread discussing it is here

smallchange

#55 Post by smallchange »

nitwit536 wrote:
Trying to live up to your screen name? :)

Seriously, the biggest reason to use Debian over those is dpkg/apt. The packaging system is way more complete and builds a unified system.

edbarx

#56 Post by edbarx »

The Debian's package management system is a perfect example of carefully planned system auditing. Obviously, it is proving difficult to even imagine using Linux without it. At least, this applies to me.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

Frantzizko

#57 Post by Frantzizko »

Initially because I think that is one of the most consistent distro of them all, certainly the most democratic and inspired to FOSS principles.
Then I fall in love with...it's the perfect distro for all use(r)s.

However, if someone asks me the real reason for I use Debian, certainly the main reason is the ethical one.
Think about it (the fact is that I try, in everything I do, to be as coherent as possible with what I think): even *, that boast one of the most open basic philosophy, however it come from * - which in any case is developed by a company that has money and profits as its ultimate aim.

Debian is developed by Debian, and stop. And I love it even also for this.
Hi to everybody =)
* I thought it was better to cancel the names of the other distros...I don't wanna trigger a distro war by my first post in this forum =)
GNOME.
"Knowledge makes you doubt. Especially of power. Every kind of power." Dario Fo

julian67

#58 Post by julian67 »

It works.

It runs on all my computers, i686, amd64 and armel, so I can use the same scripts and tools on them all....how anyone remembers enough to be fluent across different systems beats me. From a single multi-arch netinstaller DVD I can set up servers, desktops, gui, headless...anything. At one end my desktop is 64-bit dual core with 2GB RAM and at the other end of the performance spectrum my NSLU2 (Linksys network storage device) is armel 266 MHz with 28MB available RAM and they both run Debian. There are very few distributions which make this possible. FreeBSD has not got a amd64 version as good as Debians in terms of stability...and no nvidia driver for 64-bit. OpenBSD could do it but I need something more wireless friendly for my laptops...and again no nvidia driver for 64-bit. Gentoo could do it but the idea of compiling on armel makes me think about my likely lifespan and I don't rate my chances of ever getting it finished...or having it stable. Debian just does it without fuss, difficulty, overly strong bias towards NSA standard security.....I am paranoid but not irrational :D or needless complexity.

The repos have huge bandwidth. Tried freebsd out of curiosity on a spare disk and really appreciate Debian's resources.

Online documentation is vast, comprehensive and sometimes even up to date :D

Expert help is easy to find, forums, mailing lists etc.

I didn't find another GNU/Linux distro which performs as well and as consistently. Every project makes mistakes but Debian's are few (but occasionally scary).

Stuff really works! I even tried Squeeze with KDE 4 (curiosity and a long time interest in lost causes, tech disasters and bizarre manifestations of the human psyche) yesterday and Digikam and Konqueror didn't crash. That puts Debian ahead of everyone else already.
Wisdom from my inbox: "do not mock at your pottenocy"

un1xer

#59 Post by un1xer »

Me, I'm just too stubborn to use any thing else. :roll:
Really.
Debian Squeeze/Sid mixed system
2.6.32 amd64

nitwit536

#60 Post by nitwit536 »

drokmed wrote:
nitwit536 wrote:
He said outperform...
I find knowing your weaknesses as important as knowing your strengths.
So shouting that you are the best and that there aren't any real competitors is a bit silly.

If someone would ask which one is best: CentOS or Debian, I wouldn't be able to answer.
I like Debian the most, but that's hardly a rational reason. Yum is not that bad once you get used to it.

Look at the upside: The only competitors I could find are big companies with pricey distributions. :wink:

khelben1979

#61 Post by khelben1979 »

Because it's the best one out there, in my opinion. I really like Debian!
/Bear Spirit

Computer: HP Pavilion 15-ab102no ( Debian 8 )

DavidMcCann

#62 Post by DavidMcCann »

I've just converted from Fedora, whose six-monthly release left me feeling like a mouse in an exercise wheel. It was a choice between Debian and CentOS, and I suspected that Debian would have more support, if less familiarity. So far there have been a few alarms and excursions, but nothing insoluble (says he, crossing his fingers and touching wood!)

SunSpyda

#63 Post by SunSpyda »

I use it because, sometimes, OpenBSD's compatibility can be annoying. And Debian is a very compatible distro - You gotta love Apt and the large masses of packages available. I need VMware, Opera, Flash, and other things that are to painful to setup up on OpenBSD - I just haven't got the time.

Also, it contained the libs, compilers and other development tools I needed. Not to mention all the libraries I use on OpenBSD are on Debian, and work equally. Being able to compile a massive source code on a fresh Debian install, that was written for OpenBSD without modification is great.

OK, so any standards-following Linux distro can do that. Why Debian? Stability, reliability, neat package system, secure, fast, not bloated on non-default install. I use the stable branch, and it hasn't crashed ONCE yet, unless I screwed with something without the knowledge.

Red Hat derived distros? Too bloated, even on minimalistic install. I would use SLES for commercial stuff - which actually derived from Slackware, not Red Hat, contrary to belief.

Slackware derived distros? Aren't quite as stable as Debian - Or maybe Debian supported my H/W better - I don't know.

Arch? Yes, if it wasn't as bleeding edge. I prefer out-of-date stability to brand-new testing stuff. So Debian trumped Arch on this one for me. If I wanted a bleeding edge machine, Arch all the way.

More 'polished' Debian derivatives? Just seem like Debian with a load of junk stapled onto it - no thanks. But I can see why Ubuntu attracts newbies - it is very easy. Just because something is easy, doesn't mean it is automatically a Window copy, you know :D

One more thing - Some SMP CPUs OpenBSD chokes on, even with the SMP kernel, so Debian is also appropriate there.

But admittedly, Debian comes into play only if OpenBSD fails me. But to be second-choice, Debian must be excellent, as I have Linux distro hopped for a long time.
Primary OS - OpenBSD Secondary OS - Debian GNU/Linux

captaink

#64 Post by captaink »

SunSpyda wrote: Why Debian? Stability, reliability, neat package system, secure, fast, not bloated on non-default install. I use the stable branch, and it hasn't crashed ONCE yet, unless I screwed with something without the knowledge.
For the same reasons I use debian stable.

Polaris96

#65 Post by Polaris96 »

1. I can't afford System V, Solaris or BSD. Ok, I probably could but they don't seem worth it.
2. People would snicker if I used System V today even if I owned a license and the kind of computer that fits in a large closet.
3. I dearly love my FreeBSD platform, but everything that was mentioned earlier about FreeBSD is true.
4. I run Xen debian stable, I have my cake n can eat it, too: watch this, FreeBSD in a keystroke :)
5. Debian based distros all do something that bends me up or makes me go "duh".
6. apt
7. Gentoo is the slickest. Really? I think it's like hamm time-warped into the 21st century and with pretensions of doing BSD.
8. No, that's wrong, because dpkg is still better than portage (opinion. If I felt different, I'd be on Gentoo's msgboard)
9 apt
10. Because Debian works so good I've never considered Fedora. No need for Bourbon when you like Scots.

But really it's because you're all here :) Where else would I be?
for as long as the world remains. for as long as time remains. so, too, will I remain. To serve. To help. And to make my contribution. Also, never forget our family at debianuserforums.org If we can't solve your problem, they probably can.