Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Why do you use debian?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
gnudude

Re: Why do you use debian?

#41 Post by gnudude »

mlsx wrote:I began to use Ubuntu/Debian.
wtf? what is that?

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#42 Post by Lavene »

gnudude wrote:
wtf? what is that?
Haven't you heard? Back in -76 someone forked Ubuntu and created Debian... some still think that was a bad idea... you know, with the war an all. There are still a few people insisting on calling it Ubuntu/ Debian.

anarchyinc666

#43 Post by anarchyinc666 »

gnudude wrote:
wtf? what is that?
That's when you add ubuntu repositories to Debian and vise versa. I did that once right before I was planning a reinstall just to see how hard it would be and how bad it would mess things up. The result, easy and alot.
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.12
GIT d- s: a- C++++ UL++++ P+ L+++ E-- W+++ N- o-- K- w++
O- M-- V-- PS+++ PE+++ Y PGP+++ t-- 5-- X+++ R* tv+++ b DI++++ D
G e+ h---- r+++ y++++
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

Debian-SID Xfce

BioTube

#44 Post by BioTube »

I remember trying to turn Freespire into Ubuntu via apt. It failed miserably.
Ludwig von Mises wrote:The elite should be supreme by virtue of persuasion, not by the assistance of firing squads.

dbbolton

#45 Post by dbbolton »

Lavene wrote:Haven't you heard? Back in -76 someone forked Ubuntu and created Debian... some still think that was a bad idea... you know, with the war an all. There are still a few people insisting on calling it Ubuntu/ Debian.
Excuse me, that would be Ubuntu/Debian GNU/Linux.
GitHub | zsh docs in Letter PDF
Telemachus wrote:Put down the CGI.

stratman4300

#46 Post by stratman4300 »

Use it mainly because:

a: i know it, in and out.
b: Nice rock solid distro, with good standards
c: Whenever i try anything else i just hate it and come back to Debian anyway..... :D

"Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega."

anarchyinc666

#47 Post by anarchyinc666 »

The reason that I use Debian is that is has a rock solid background of stability. Debian has been around pretty much since the beginning and is still here. They have got to be doing something right.

Actually, that is why I chose it to begin with.. The reason that I still use it is cause it is Debian,
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.12
GIT d- s: a- C++++ UL++++ P+ L+++ E-- W+++ N- o-- K- w++
O- M-- V-- PS+++ PE+++ Y PGP+++ t-- 5-- X+++ R* tv+++ b DI++++ D
G e+ h---- r+++ y++++
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

Debian-SID Xfce

Bro.Tiag

#48 Post by Bro.Tiag »

gnudude wrote:....not sure if you can use the same excuse twice...
Because I can and I did, OH, look I've used it a third time.

Cheers
ps-You do always seem to use apropos avatars, but this one me thinks is by far the best.

utam

#49 Post by utam »

because it's debian. why would i go to another? i'm in heaven now :D
Regards,
utam

JWJones

#50 Post by JWJones »

Tried the rest, sticking with the best.

debil

#51 Post by debil »

Don't know of a better system. It's the crap.

Main points being: free (in every sense of the word), true community product, aptitude, DFSG. To mention few.
Q: Why is the Eunux kernel so bloated?
A: It was made in the image of its founder.

edbarx

#52 Post by edbarx »

The emerging reason, is that there is no decent competitor that can be said to outperform Debian. Maybe, I am wrong, but I doubt it!
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

nitwit536

#53 Post by nitwit536 »

edbarx wrote:The emerging reason, is that there is no decent competitor that can be said to outperform Debian. Maybe, I am wrong, but I doubt it!
Competitors: CentOS/RHEL, SLED/SLES ?

drokmed

#54 Post by drokmed »

nitwit536 wrote:
edbarx wrote:The emerging reason, is that there is no decent competitor that can be said to outperform Debian. Maybe, I am wrong, but I doubt it!
He said outperform...

We used to have a SLES server. Overpriced, and ran too slowly. I replaced that box with a Debian stable box. Runs much faster. Better support (from here) too.

We still have a CentOS server. I'm pretty happy with it, even though it is RPM based. Performance wise, well, I haven't done any official tests, but it performs about the same as Debian IMHO. The CentOS forums are pretty quiet, compared to here.
Author of the Debian Linux Security Appliance Firewall howto, found here
Thread discussing it is here

smallchange

#55 Post by smallchange »

nitwit536 wrote:
Trying to live up to your screen name? :)

Seriously, the biggest reason to use Debian over those is dpkg/apt. The packaging system is way more complete and builds a unified system.

edbarx

#56 Post by edbarx »

The Debian's package management system is a perfect example of carefully planned system auditing. Obviously, it is proving difficult to even imagine using Linux without it. At least, this applies to me.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

Frantzizko

#57 Post by Frantzizko »

Initially because I think that is one of the most consistent distro of them all, certainly the most democratic and inspired to FOSS principles.
Then I fall in love with...it's the perfect distro for all use(r)s.

However, if someone asks me the real reason for I use Debian, certainly the main reason is the ethical one.
Think about it (the fact is that I try, in everything I do, to be as coherent as possible with what I think): even *, that boast one of the most open basic philosophy, however it come from * - which in any case is developed by a company that has money and profits as its ultimate aim.

Debian is developed by Debian, and stop. And I love it even also for this.
Hi to everybody =)
* I thought it was better to cancel the names of the other distros...I don't wanna trigger a distro war by my first post in this forum =)
GNOME.
"Knowledge makes you doubt. Especially of power. Every kind of power." Dario Fo

julian67

#58 Post by julian67 »

It works.

It runs on all my computers, i686, amd64 and armel, so I can use the same scripts and tools on them all....how anyone remembers enough to be fluent across different systems beats me. From a single multi-arch netinstaller DVD I can set up servers, desktops, gui, headless...anything. At one end my desktop is 64-bit dual core with 2GB RAM and at the other end of the performance spectrum my NSLU2 (Linksys network storage device) is armel 266 MHz with 28MB available RAM and they both run Debian. There are very few distributions which make this possible. FreeBSD has not got a amd64 version as good as Debians in terms of stability...and no nvidia driver for 64-bit. OpenBSD could do it but I need something more wireless friendly for my laptops...and again no nvidia driver for 64-bit. Gentoo could do it but the idea of compiling on armel makes me think about my likely lifespan and I don't rate my chances of ever getting it finished...or having it stable. Debian just does it without fuss, difficulty, overly strong bias towards NSA standard security.....I am paranoid but not irrational :D or needless complexity.

The repos have huge bandwidth. Tried freebsd out of curiosity on a spare disk and really appreciate Debian's resources.

Online documentation is vast, comprehensive and sometimes even up to date :D

Expert help is easy to find, forums, mailing lists etc.

I didn't find another GNU/Linux distro which performs as well and as consistently. Every project makes mistakes but Debian's are few (but occasionally scary).

Stuff really works! I even tried Squeeze with KDE 4 (curiosity and a long time interest in lost causes, tech disasters and bizarre manifestations of the human psyche) yesterday and Digikam and Konqueror didn't crash. That puts Debian ahead of everyone else already.
Wisdom from my inbox: "do not mock at your pottenocy"

un1xer

#59 Post by un1xer »

Me, I'm just too stubborn to use any thing else. :roll:
Really.
Debian Squeeze/Sid mixed system
2.6.32 amd64

nitwit536

#60 Post by nitwit536 »

drokmed wrote:
nitwit536 wrote:
He said outperform...
I find knowing your weaknesses as important as knowing your strengths.
So shouting that you are the best and that there aren't any real competitors is a bit silly.

If someone would ask which one is best: CentOS or Debian, I wouldn't be able to answer.
I like Debian the most, but that's hardly a rational reason. Yum is not that bad once you get used to it.

Look at the upside: The only competitors I could find are big companies with pricey distributions. :wink: