Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Why do you use debian?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
Kov3nant

#381 Post by Kov3nant »

I started with mint 13 cinnamon. Wanting to see what was out there, I bounced around distros like crazy. Trying every distro with every de. Through all that I learned a lot about Linux. I eventually installed Arch and stuck with that for a while. Now I help develop a distro called Less SystemD GNU/Linux which I dual boot with. Trying to do translations, web development and stuff under arch was a bit of a pain. I had to be very careful about when I would do updates. After lots of very small irritations like USB suddenly not auto mounting, slim breaking and failing to start X or other random annoyances, I came to Debian. The project leader for LSD Linux noticed I was constantly having to do system maintenance instead of working on our distro and suggested it.
So far I've been very pleased. Its stability is just the thing I need in a distro right now. I don't see myself hopping distros any time soon.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, Arch is a great distro. It really is. And generally, it's a fun experience and really rewarding when you're able to get everything set up and working properly. Also it taught me how to diagnose problems and forced me to learn how Linux works. That has been very beneficial for me. Just haven't the time to maintain it at the moment :)

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk 4

sudoertor

Re: Why do you use debian?

#382 Post by sudoertor »

I ended up starting linux by using ubuntu 11.10, which I was amased when It ran on my toshiba satellite l30, although as time went by it became slower due to the fact that ubuntu simply kept becoming more resource hungry and my old system simply couldn't keep up. (It only had a single core and 512MB of ram) So I ended up being able to aquire some newer (But still ancient) hardware and it chugged along nicely again. Over time I had to keep aquiring newer hardware as Ubuntu simply kept bocoming too laggy, I never quite understood why Canonical kept making it soo heavy. Back around the start of this year I ended up discovering that Ubuntu's Unity contained spyware, possibly one of the reasons why it was soo slow, so as a result I have distro jumped to Lubuntu and modified it to my liking. (A custom distro)

However I do have concerns over what Canonical will do to Ubuntu next, such as include the spyware, not only worse in unity , but I believe that they may even put spyware into the very core of Ubuntu to the point that it would infect all the flavours and forks that use Ubuntu's core. This would make them as bad, if not worse, than Apple and Microsoft. I also have reasons to believe this theroy is correct, as In the latest pre-release of Ubuntu the spyware is worse with about 20 different sites that all keystrokes get sent to. (It actually says in the legal blurb that Ubuntu records keystrokes, and last time I checked that is spyware)

So yea, thats why I'm here. :mrgreen: I'm trying to see If I can use something like remastersys to make a fork of debian, that way I wouldn't have to worry about the things I just mentioned. So far apart from the bug I am having with openbox in the LXDE version, I really like debian!

shogunvsamurai

#383 Post by shogunvsamurai »

I've used many Linux distributions in the past and started my path towards Debian about two years ago when I started using Ubuntu with it's introduction of the Unity interface. Ubuntu didn't quite agree with my laptop's graphic card and kept leaving black block artifacts on my screen from time to time depending on what program I was using. After trying to remedy that problem for a few months, I grew tired and then switched to Linux Mint 13, but had similar problems. I then switched to the Linux Mint Debian edition and found my system to be very stable for about seven months straight until I started tweaking the system a bit too much. So for my recent install, I decided to get straight to the heart and made the full switch to Debian. So far I'm enjoying the familiarity of how things work and have had a pretty easy time setting things up the way I'm use to. In a nutshell, the Debian line seems to be more compatible with my laptop.
Alienware M7700
Debian 7.1 Wheezy
3Gb Ram
Intel Pentium 4 (3GHz x 2)

obry

#384 Post by obry »

- rolling release (ok, depends on definitoin) - an extremely attractive quality of any distribution for me. I would never consider to switch to a non-rolling release distro.
- it's lightweight
- can be configured deeply
- netinstall that offers the possibility to install only a minimum set of packages and only add what i need. it let's me choose which desktop i want to use. I like to have these possibilities.
- the paket management is great
- loooots of packages, lots of software. From my experience so far: Hardwaresupport for recent hardware comes resonably soon.
- open source with ...
- possibility to use non-free software if needed
- huge online info /documentation that has been enough support for me so far.
- legendary stability.
- a lot of things i like and already said are based on the http://www.debian.org/social_contract

I love debian. I'm glad it exists. Thanks to all people making this possible!

Dawg

#385 Post by Dawg »

I had to open a new account to get back on this forum, because I mainly read to find solutions for problems I am having, and haven't actually posted in probably 4 plus years.

Debian has been my primary OS since Etch. I have used a few other distos to try out the latest stuff out there. At the end of the day it boils down to at 50 years old I just want my systems to run and do all the things I need them to do. I don't need bleeding edge I just need consistent performance.

I am currently running Jessie which on a bad day is more stable that alot of other distro's so called stable releases. I guess choice boils down to who will be using the system and how much time they are willing to invest in trying to solve problems due to their system always upgrading to the latest thing coming down from upstream.

Experience has shown me that Developers who spend a little more time working on software compadibility issues turn out a more stable product.

So I use Debian. It is very stable. It has a huge selection of software that can be installed. With a little reading time and experimenting you can customize it to suit your taste. It just works and does it's job very well.

esp7

#386 Post by esp7 »

there are people with the same point of view at the age of 30 :D
ThinkPad X220: i5-2520M CPU 2.5GHz - 8GB RAM 1333 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 250GB - Debian - ME_cleaned
ThinkPad X230: i5-3320M CPU 3.3GHz - 8GB RAM 1600 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 500GB - Debian - ME_cleaned

Debian4ever

#387 Post by Debian4ever »

I say debian is where I feel most comfortable.
Debian is technically the first distro I have tried, so its where I like to go.

Crewp

#388 Post by Crewp »

I like Debian because it's so stable, well supported, and the Grandfather of many another distro. Which means it is just the best to build off of. :mrgreen:

arvy

#389 Post by arvy »

My first Linux distro was Ubuntu 8.10 or something and i didn't use it much at all. Now i installed debian few weeks earlier mainly because i bought Raspberry Pi and installed raspbian on it and i wanted simmilar OS on my pc to get comfortable with it. And I am not dissapointed, i love debian so far for it's stability (compared to numerous crashes on ubuntu) and i have plans to make my own kernel just for fun for debian.

587jmj

#390 Post by 587jmj »

hello,
I have been a linux user since about april 2003.
I used mainly RPM distros pclinuxos, mandrivia for
most of the time, then I tried Linux Mint Debian Edition.
I learned alot about the repos, updates and stable, testing
etc.
I decided to use the REAL THING instead of a Branch,
and I love it.

I have an Acer laptop with windows vista,
still have lmde on a partition and debian wheezy
as my main distro.

MagiChimp

#391 Post by MagiChimp »

I did an online Linux Distro Selector questionnaire and Debian was recommended. I did some reading checking out the pro's and con's.
I later found this rant from what sounded like a drunken mate from abroad.

Debian 7 vs Ubuntu 13.04 Rant...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyNgK3EKxlU

His message about it being "rock solid" and "it just works", resonated with me.
And you know what they say about drunk people.
"A drunk mans words are a sober man thoughts."
I tried Ubuntu years back, was not very impressed. I later tried MINT and that went horribly wrong. Debian has me really happy, interested and excited. So far, it has been my default OS. I still have windows 7 but have not used it since I installed Debian 7.2 Wheezy. I reformatted my hard drive, made 4 partitions, installed windows 7, installed NOD32 anti virus and left it at that, then I installed Debian :lol: Now I am just here on my Linux Debian and just take it slow trying to learn my way around the OS since I am so very noob to Linux. I have nothing but time to enjoy myself and learn new things from the ground up. I am very satisfied with a very SOLID OS in Debian.

arvy

#392 Post by arvy »

MagiChimp wrote:I did an online Linux Distro Selector questionnaire and Debian was recommended. I did some reading checking out the pro's and con's.

I tried Ubuntu years back, was not very impressed. I later tried MINT and that went horribly wrong. Debian has me really happy, interested and excited. So far, it has been my default OS. I still have windows 7 but have not used it since I installed Debian 7.2 Wheezy. I reformatted my hard drive, made 4 partitions, installed windows 7, installed NOD32 anti virus and left it at that, then I installed Debian :lol: Now I am just here on my Linux Debian and just take it slow trying to learn my way around the OS since I am so very noob to Linux. I have nothing but time to enjoy myself and learn new things from the ground up. I am very satisfied with a very SOLID OS in Debian.
Welcome aboard :) I'm also very new to Debian and loving it. Can you replace all your need with free software on Debian rather than proprietaryor exclusive to Windows? because i still can't live without both OS'es.

ivtec

#393 Post by ivtec »

Well i should say why i don't use Debian! cause it has no wireless drivers out of the box.

bw123

#394 Post by bw123 »

Well i should say why i don't use Debian! cause it has no wireless drivers out of the box.
it's not nice to spread FUD, you might find some help on your device here https://wiki.debian.org/WiFi

resigned by AI ChatGPT

Rifester

#395 Post by Rifester »

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes...http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unoff ... -firmware/

MagiChimp

#396 Post by MagiChimp »

arvy wrote:
MagiChimp wrote:I did an online Linux Distro Selector questionnaire and Debian was recommended. I did some reading checking out the pro's and con's.

Welcome aboard :) I'm also very new to Debian and loving it. Can you replace all your need with free software on Debian rather than proprietaryor exclusive to Windows? because i still can't live without both OS'es.
I know exactly how you feel but things are changing and I am not liking what I see.
When information about PRISM was leaked, I was not surprised but I became concerned. I remember during the Bush Administration, my phone was tapped for about 8 years. Anytime I picked up the phone, I heard clicks and pops. I really did not care, I had nothing to hide and nothing to say. Sure I asked myself why. And I would always fall back on the excuse and rhetoric "We are doing this for your own safety and for National Security. We are doing this for FREEDOM. When a government begins to SPY on it's own citizens, are we really free? Benjamin Franklin once said:

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

And so, now we have Apple and Microsoft rumors of back-doors.

So why do I need my windows OS so much? What is it that I can't live with out? What are my favorite programs?
Sony Vegas, Photoshop and PaintShop Pro.
Mind you, I suck at all three of these programs when compared to some actual pros. So now, being that I am dependent on Microsoft's OS, I have to run around the net 'STEALING' these programs because I can not afford them. I am a hobbyist and I am not making any money with these programs, so why do I need Windows 7 so much? I really don't. I am getting bored with Windows and at the moment I find Linux Debian, a challenge. A challenge to find new free alternatives and make do with what is being offered. It's been nearly 4 days since I have been on my Linux box, and I am still as happy today as I was when I installed it. I have not used Windows since then. I did not even activate my copy. You see before installing Debian, I reformatted my computer, I partitioned my hard drive in 4 and installed Windows 7 just in case, I quickly had to steal a NOD32 antivirus program, installed it and left it at that. I don't know anything about Linux nor do I know about their alternative software programs, this is something that I will learn with time. I do know there is wine, I don't know if wine is available for debian but I think it is. In closing. I don't need people spying on me for the sake of spying. Which leads me to believe there is something greater going on and thus I put on my TIN HAT and see people wanting information so they can control others. Those who have the INFORMATION, have the POWER. At the end of the day, I do believe we are being set up for a new world order and technology will play a huge part in making it happen. "Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me."

George W. Bush., once said: "Either you are with us, or against us."

I believe the gathering of information is to see who is who and when that day comes, they will try to separate the lambs from the wolves and round up all the wolves on their PROFILED LIST of people they deem as anti Government, anti growth, anti world domination. It's an agenda and powerful people have tried it before and history always tends to repeat itself. No denying that my friend. :wink:

ivtec

#397 Post by ivtec »

Why i use Debian? because is the only distro that runs Linux Imac G5 PowerPc almost perfect out of the Box, the only thing i can't run is wireless,but can live with it,and other Distros suck when it comes to support Linux ppc.

korilius

#398 Post by korilius »

I'm into Debian for the nerdy chicks. 8)

esp7

#399 Post by esp7 »

korilius wrote:I'm into Debian for the nerdy chicks. 8)
far from easy targets :lol:
ThinkPad X220: i5-2520M CPU 2.5GHz - 8GB RAM 1333 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 250GB - Debian - ME_cleaned
ThinkPad X230: i5-3320M CPU 3.3GHz - 8GB RAM 1600 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 500GB - Debian - ME_cleaned

bw123

#400 Post by bw123 »

MagiChimp wrote: George W. Bush., once said: "Either you are with us, or against us."
"I'll be long gone before some smart person ever figures out what happened inside this Oval Office." --George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., May 12, 2008
http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/blbushisms.htm
resigned by AI ChatGPT