Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

New debian.org website

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
julian67

New debian.org website

#1 Post by julian67 »

Along with Squeeze being released there is also a new look at http://debian.org

I loved the clarity and readability of the old site and knew a new look was in the works. Thankfully it's equally legible and presented really well. I tried it in Iceweasel and elinks and on an Android browser on a 4.3" screen and it's excellent. I think it's even quite a big improvement over the old site in presenting links and info in an easy way. But beware, it might look friendly but it's still full of wicked and evil assertions such as
Documentation

Before searching for support from someone else, it's usually good to try to find an answer to your problem yourself. That way you will usually get the answers you need, and even if you don't, the experience of reading the documentation will likely be useful for you in the future.
and
# If you'd like to start using Debian, you can easily obtain a copy, and then follow the installation instructions to install it.

To get help in using or setting up Debian, see our documentation and support pages.
Is there no end to the vicious rtfm elitism?
Wisdom from my inbox: "do not mock at your pottenocy"

JohnDeere630

Re: New debian.org website

#2 Post by JohnDeere630 »

julian67 wrote: Is there no end to the vicious rtfm elitism?
:lol: Those elitist ba*tards! How dare they put that kind of insuperable responsibility on us? For what we pay for it, Debian should include one of those teflon-coated baby spoons and some talcum powder so we can be spared the sweaty part of hand-holding.

edbarx

#3 Post by edbarx »

RTFM is a bliss.

EDIT: I mean, reading the manuals is what makes using GNU/Linux an interesting experience instead of hell on earth. But without that reading, GNU/Linux becomes a hell of dependence on other people, which more often than not, can be avoided.
Last edited by edbarx on 2011-02-06 21:34, edited 1 time in total.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by canci »

julian67 wrote:I think it's even quite a big improvement over the old site in presenting links and info in an easy way.
When I was complaining about the site and compared it to Arch's, you were mocking me. But tell me, doesn't it feel faster now? ;) Seriously though, I have to agree with you.
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

BioTube

#5 Post by BioTube »

I still think it's ugly; so ugly, in fact, that I didn't bother to test the rest of the site.
Ludwig von Mises wrote:The elite should be supreme by virtue of persuasion, not by the assistance of firing squads.

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by canci »

BioTube wrote:I still think it's ugly; so ugly, in fact, that I didn't bother to test the rest of the site.
I'm not a fan of the design either, especially how the spacefun banner looks out of place on it. But it's a step 4wd.
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

weedeater64

#7 Post by weedeater64 »

Man I just visited for the first time today, and I couldn't get my brain to accept that I was at the correct page.
I retyped the url at least twice, and even went to google and searched for debian. (ya, I know.) I thought I was getting sent to the wiki pages by the cyber gremlins. haha.

I didn't know they'd been using that look for 13 years, I knew it had been at least 5 though. Consistency instills confidence, to be sure. But ya, I think it was time.

I've been on about javascript the last couple of days, and with my handy dandy Adblock-plus (just got that and loving it.) I'm not finding any pages with js on them. I think I like that, and find it refreshing and inspirational. I never took note of the use of js on the old pages.

I've been playing around trying to replicate the the little red lines below the menu blocks at the bottom, pure css, if I'm not mistaken. So far I've come up with a red dot off to the right of a menu chunk. hehehe.

I like the way you can narrow the window to a very thin area too, something I've been trying to maintain on my lame duck pages.

julian67

#8 Post by julian67 »

weedeater64 wrote:I like the way you can narrow the window to a very thin area too, something I've been trying to maintain on my lame duck pages.
Yes, it works really nicely on a small screen in portrait mode, such as a smartphone.

mslinux

#9 Post by mslinux »

In respect to the new Debian website designer....Is there nobody here capable of web designing??? :cry: :cry: :cry:
I wish I could do web design, I sure the hell will be a volunteer.

I hate to say I prefer the look of this forum compared to that one.....But anyway, it's a progress. A change. A step forward.
I can only say : keep up the good work dudes! <insert_beer_image_here>
http://templates.arcsin.se/cerulean-ele ... -template/
http://templates.arcsin.se/winterplain- ... -template/
MsLinux-

forums.debian.net - where facepalm is the default answer :D

© 2012
║▌║│█║▌│█│║▌║█║▌│█│║▌║│

dotlj

#10 Post by dotlj »

The first shock is seeing the kiddies spacefun theme at the top of the home page. Once you get past that, there are some improvements in the layout, however the levels of complexity in getting anywhere, still seem too many. For example, how many clicks to get a link to these forums? How many links to get a CD image?

Overall it's a step in the right direction, just remove the spacefun graphic at the top and continue working on cleaning up the rest of the site.

julian67

#11 Post by julian67 »

dotlj wrote:The first shock is seeing the kiddies spacefun theme at the top of the home page. Once you get past that, there are some improvements in the layout, however the levels of complexity in getting anywhere, still seem too many. For example, how many clicks to get a link to these forums? How many links to get a CD image?

Overall it's a step in the right direction, just remove the spacefun graphic at the top and continue working on cleaning up the rest of the site.
How many clicks to get a CD image?

One :shock:

To get support advice .....click support! One more click and you have links to 6 websites where support is available, the bug tracker, and IRC. The space fun theme is the Squeeze theme, what do you expect to see? MS Corporate blueness? Mac purpleness? Ubuntu wannabe Mac purpleness? Is complaining just a habit? Do people even look at their monitor before the grumbling starts? How about some l.a.t.f.m as well as r.t.f.m

JohnDeere630

#12 Post by JohnDeere630 »

I like it. It took me a few minutes to get used to it, but now I can even browse it on my android phone..(well, actually it's my wife's phone.)

llivv

#13 Post by llivv »

the wiki is updated too (by pabs), about 30 minutes after the debian home page was...
http://wiki.debian.org/
I'll check the secondary mirrors if a few
I'm hoping they are all synced by now :arrow:

for Lavene and the debian forum zoo http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=47078
bonus http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQKqrC9cT_s
flash prolly necessary
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

Mr James

#14 Post by Mr James »

I loved the old site's "redness" - very Debian, very professional. The new site's more intuitive though.
asus S551L laptop :: debian stable :: dwm

gramur

#15 Post by gramur »

I like the new design from a user experience standpoint. I found the old site harder to navigate and find the information you want this design is a step forward. I also like the fact that the design isn't following any of the web trends of today. Clean, simple and straight to the point.

michapma

#16 Post by michapma »

Add one reflexive set of raised eyebrows and a silent “Wow!” here. Wasn't expecting it at all.

I find the spacefun graphic a bit cartoonish, but welcome the update and glad to see the use of CSS. It’s more elegant if not quite uber, and still very clean. Above all, it’s good they didn’t change the structure as well as the appearance in one fell swoop; I feel I’ve only just started finding my way around the site quickly.
weedeater64 wrote:I'm not finding any pages with js on them. I think I like that, and find it refreshing and inspirational. I never took note of the use of js on the old pages.

I've been playing around trying to replicate the the little red lines below the menu blocks at the bottom, pure css, if I'm not mistaken. So far I've come up with a red dot off to the right of a menu chunk. hehehe.
Ditto on the javascript. Here’s the relevant bit of CSS, easily found with Web Developer Toolbar. For each column they use :

Code: Select all

ul#hometoc-cola a, ul#hometoc-colb a, ul#hometoc-colc a, ul#hometoc-cold a, ul#hometoc-cole a {
	padding-left: 5px;
        display: block;
}
ul#hometoc-cola, ul#hometoc-colb,ul#hometoc-colc, ul#hometoc-cold, ul#hometoc-cole {
	float:left;
	width: 19.2%;
	min-width: 11em;
	height: 12em; 		/* Update when adding items */
	margin:0 1% 0 0;
	padding: 0;
	[color=#FF0000]background-position: bottom left;
	background-repeat: repeat-x; 
	background-image: url('Pics/reddot.png');[/color]
	list-style: none;
}
It's this image:
http://www.debian.org/Pics/reddot.png

weedeater64

#17 Post by weedeater64 »

gramur wrote:I like the new design from a user experience standpoint. I found the old site harder to navigate and find the information you want this design is a step forward. I also like the fact that the design isn't following any of the web trends of today. Clean, simple and straight to the point.
Agree 100%. I get so sick of going to pages where I expect to find useful information, like
linuxforums.org and instead I'm greeted by a lot of intrusive, obnoxious, unrelated BS.

I still believe that the internet is the single greatest thing humanity has come up with, (or at least potentially) but the trend to make it into television 2.0 (endless commercial)is disheartening, to say the least.

Polaris96

#18 Post by Polaris96 »

I like the new site ... a lot.

It updates a lot of old formatting and info, as has been mentioned, while still presenting the "This is Debian. Go elsewhere for your cookbook Compiz and streaming Transformers Wallpaper" message.

Simple, functional, mission-oriented. In a word, elegant.

AND a bit elitist. Then again, so am I: Here's your sticks, boys and girls. Now go build a bonfire :)
for as long as the world remains. for as long as time remains. so, too, will I remain. To serve. To help. And to make my contribution. Also, never forget our family at debianuserforums.org If we can't solve your problem, they probably can.

Bro.Tiag

#19 Post by Bro.Tiag »

I hate change for changes sake. There was nothing wrong with the old site, so I wont like the new site until they change it again in the future.

alwayslost

#20 Post by alwayslost »

Except for the spacefun banner I like it. It's clean, to the point and easy to find what you're looking for.