Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

What would make you leave Debian?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
AnInkedSoul

Re: What would make you leave Debian?

#161 Post by AnInkedSoul »

JLloyd13 wrote:a I am resentful at the GNU
why gnu?

nadir

#162 Post by nadir »

Lemme have a quick check of da handbook:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/han ... uxemu.html
say you want to watch flash.

And to simply not answer how to configure the bootloader to dual-boot is not very welcoming.
For that, you might have guessed it, i had to use grub and ask in a linux forum.

When i visited the forum there didn't pass a single day without linux bashing.
In fact quite a lot felt the urge to do that in their signature.
Most of it didn't hold the facts.

PS: It is funny that our experience is so opposite. But then: if you got the feeling you get all the help that you need, and if you like the overall clima, then all is good. For me all is good too. If i will ever give BSD another try, i sure will not ask anyone about it, and use a shell without auto-completion until i got it sorted myself).
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.

vbrummond

#163 Post by vbrummond »

I like FreeBSD. I think I remember Con Kolivas saying it was coded well. If I could confirm my sound card would work I would be interested in trying it. I am fairly sure xfce is available in ports.

My only problem is when certain people say they want to use the freebsd kernel, and freebsd software... Then complain that they can't do it on kfreebsd debian, which is specifically designed to NOT use freebsd software.
Always on Debian Testing

h3z

#164 Post by h3z »

vbrummond wrote:I like FreeBSD. I think I remember Con Kolivas saying it was coded well. If I could confirm my sound card would work I would be interested in trying it. I am fairly sure xfce is available in ports.

My only problem is when certain people say they want to use the freebsd kernel, and freebsd software... Then complain that they can't do it on kfreebsd debian, which is specifically designed to NOT use freebsd software.
Yes, that would bother me too .

sakamoto

#165 Post by sakamoto »

a 6 month release schedule :D
debian 7.0 wheezy 3.2.0-4-686-pae gnu/linux

amir6723

#166 Post by amir6723 »

sakamoto wrote:a 6 month release schedule :D
me too. :D

VelvetLicks

#167 Post by VelvetLicks »

Randicus wrote:
VelvetLicks wrote:1 - Gnome3
Then you will be leaving soon. The next release, in two or three months, will have Gnome 3.

Or . . .

It may be a wild idea, but you could continue to using Debian with something other than Gnome.
Right man! so I' using XFCE ;-) as my sid desktop envoronment!
Then I can get rid of that weird PulseAudio and gently work with Jackd, Ardour etc... Also I can remove all these games from my HD... AhAhAh ;-)
What I'wrote and you quote also means I don't wanna leave Debian.
But to exactly get what I want for my MAO station, still I'm using Gentoo ;-) and Debian for an everyday use!
One great new of Deb7 is LibreOffice as replacement of OpenOffice! Don't need to do it myself anymore ;-)

VL

Head_on_a_Stick

#168 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Hell freezing over.
:)
deadbang

edbarx

#169 Post by edbarx »

Debian has a huge repository of software which means leaving Debian completely is not practical, at least, as far as I am concerned. However, systemd will force me to move to Devuan when it becomes available. systemd, especially the fact that it is expected to take control of many unrelated parts of the OS, repel anyone wanting to have as much control on one's system as possible. I also wish, Devuan decide to use a grsecurity kernel.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.