Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Make your OS look like you paid good money for it instead of getting it for free!

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
maxb

Make your OS look like you paid good money for it instead of getting it for free!

#1 Post by maxb »

Chicago 95:

https://github.com/grassmunk/Chicago95

(Personal opinion: Not as pretty as modern Gnome, but still looks better than KDE)

maxb

Re: Make your OS look like you paid good money for it instead of getting it for free!

#2 Post by maxb »

Which reminds me: Windows 95 needed 4MB of RAM to run. My Gnome Shell is using 500MB as I'm writing this. Just the shell. Not the OS. I don't know what it's doing that it needs so much RAM.

LE_746F6D617A7A69

Re: Make your OS look like you paid good money for it instead of getting it for free!

#3 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

maxb wrote: 2021-10-25 21:44 Which reminds me: Windows 95 needed 4MB of RAM to run. My Gnome Shell is using 500MB as I'm writing this. Just the shell. Not the OS. I don't know what it's doing that it needs so much RAM.
In the year 1995 the most widely used screen resolution was 640x480x16bit.
For such resolution the required memory buffer size was 600KB or ~0.6MB

Today, typical laptop is sold with a 1080p display, and the memory buffer size for 1920x1080x32bit is 8MB -> 13.3 times more.
For 4K UHD 3840×2160x32bit it's 32MB -> 53 times more ...

Moreover, today every window on the screen has its own graphics buffer, so the amount of memory used for GUI is just huge.

Besides, it's hard to tell how much memory is used or free in Linux system, because there's no strict distinction between "used" and "free" - there are many other "kinds" of memory, see >cat /proc/meminfo ;)

In general, the more RAM You have, the more memory will be assigned per application, to maximize performance. The memory which has been assigned, but which is not used by the application, can be re-assigned to some newly starting process.

And btw, want to run Windows95 in a web browser? - try this:
https://copy.sh/v86/?profile=windows95

WARNING: a script under the above link will try to automatically download few MB of the Windows95 disk image -> don't click it if You affraid of infecting Your Debian computer with Win95
:lol:
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

Now I have to see the KDE that they think is more fugly than Win95...

I'll see your javascript Win95 and raise you Win 3.10: https://www.pcjs.org/software/pcx86/sys/windows/3.10/
MX Linux packager and developer

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#5 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

stevepusser wrote: 2021-10-26 20:48 I'll see your javascript Win95 and raise you Win 3.10: https://www.pcjs.org/software/pcx86/sys/windows/3.10/
^ Nice - works better than v86 ... ;)
stevepusser wrote: 2021-10-26 20:48 Now I have to see the KDE that they think is more fugly than Win95...
I'm not using KDE, but IMO Qt is technically the best available runtime. It's sad that Qt fails to standardise its API - exactly because of this, I'm not going to use Qt in a foreseeable future ...
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."

stevepusser

#6 Post by stevepusser »

Ummm...because GTK developers have standard and backwards-compatible APIs and theming?!?!?!

Sorry, just laughed chili sauce out my nose...
MX Linux packager and developer

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#7 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

Well, perhaps we should distinguish the API from its implementation.
- If You change the implementation, bad things can happen - but the interfaces remain unchanged.
- If You change the interfaces (API) then existing programs couldn't be even compiled -> that's far away from even starting to discover the potential regressions.

Of course GTK2 programs ware also abandoned in GTK3, but the compatibility is preserved at a high level (f.e right now I'm using the GTK2 "Galaxy" theme, which in theory should have stopped to work in Debian10, but the package from Debian9 works both in Debian10 & 11 ;) <it's a platform-indepandant package ofc>

Personally, I prefer using wxWidgets - the devs of this framework are doing all the hard work to provide stable API, for all of the target platforms.
Of course there are minor bugs in wxWidgets too - but the amazing fact is that wxWidgets works *almost* flawlessly on all the supported platforms, while Qt is unable to keep backward API compatibility even with the previous version.

That's sad, because Qt has a potential to dominate the market - it is very fast and relatively easy to program.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#8 Post by CwF »

LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote: 2021-10-28 20:47 Personally, I prefer using wxWidgets
It tickles me too!

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#9 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

Back to the topic:

Actually, I'm proud that my OS doesn't look like I've paid good money for it - instead it looks like highly customized OS, which I can control to the last bit.

All the software companies have abandoned QA in recent decade or so - no amount of money can assure quality today.

Because of the above, there's a paradox:
The more expensive software, the lower quality.
Why? - the more expensive software, the lower number of users - not enough testers.

In-house testing is too expensive for greedy corporations - let the users pay with their time, frustration, loss of data and/or income, and in extreme case - with their lives.

Examples:
1. The Boeing case - poorly designed and insufficiently tested flight control software crashed few airplanes, and killed few hundreds people.
2. Insufficiently tested autonomous mode in Tesla cars have already killed many people.
3. Paid OSes (Windows, OSX, RHEL, Oracle Linux, etc) have no less CVE's than free systems.

What are You paying for?

Onsemeliot

#10 Post by Onsemeliot »

LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote: 2021-10-30 13:46What are You paying for?
Most likely mostly for the luxury of not having to consider any choices.

Hund

#11 Post by Hund »

LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote: 2021-10-30 13:46 What are You paying for?
Familiarity. It's for sure not a good operating system. :)
Collect memories, not things.

clementishutin

#12 Post by clementishutin »

LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote: 2021-10-30 13:46
What are You paying for?
Probably for making self happy.

dcihon

#13 Post by dcihon »

So how is the topic being answered here?
I don't see it.
Is the answer use KDE instead of something that looks like Windows from the 90's?

sirfer

#14 Post by sirfer »

dcihon wrote: 2022-01-11 15:56 Is the answer use KDE instead of something that looks like Windows from the 90's?
FWIW I don't see it either.

From the looks of OP's desktop, it looks like he got ripped off :lol:

Trihexagonal
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#15 Post by Trihexagonal »

Well, my desktops don't look anything like yours.

And you won't see someone else post screenshots of a desktop that look like mine.

That's the beauty of it. Nobody said they had to.

And beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but if you think the more you pay for it the better it is, this is your lucky day.

I know where you can spend it.

Search "Deepsbays Rock Galaxy #1" on ebay. And remember their motto

"Our products are also ranked based on price, the more it costs the better it is."
When Darkness takes everything embrace what Darkness brings.

cynwulf

#16 Post by cynwulf »

FYI - this was a troll's thread.

Trihexagonal
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#17 Post by Trihexagonal »

Treated as such. ;)

That seller sells HI-Fi rocks for your stereo system at $299 each.
When Darkness takes everything embrace what Darkness brings.