Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Thunderbird, Gmail, POP3 - possible?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Segfault

Thunderbird, Gmail, POP3 - possible?

#1 Post by Segfault »

I do not use Thunderbird, but I have it installed for Wife. Now she did something with her phone and Gmail won't let Thunderbird connect any more. Before I start digging into this, does someone know if Gmail POP3 even works with OAuth2? Or I have to switch her over to IMAP, which I think will screw up all her folders. I did some net search, found lots of tutorials, but she keeps getting login errors.

Bulkley

Re: Thunderbird, Gmail, POP3 - possible?

#2 Post by Bulkley »

I'm using Thunderbird indirectly through gmail. Yes, I have it set to POP3. It's late. I'll look it up in the morning and post back.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Post by sunrat »

I've been using Thunderbird with POP3 for many years. Don't know about OAuth2 though.
IIRC there was a topic about this issue on MX forums. Have a look there.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Bulkley

#4 Post by Bulkley »

A year ago my long suffering ISP made a deal with Google and migrated its email service to gmail. For those of us who still used POP3 the migration was a nightmare. The instructions in this link are reasonably good. Just remember, it's not a bible and your settings may be different.

How to Configure Gmail POP Settings

Your migration might be easy or it might take hours and hours and be frustrating. One of my frustrations is that it took me all day to discover that for my user name they wanted my email address.
Pay attention to ports. For me, what worked is pop.gmail.com uses port 995. Outgoing smtp.gmail.com uses 465. I've see different ports advised.

You will need to manually sign into your gmail account and enter the setup section which took me forever to find. You will need to configure gmail to accept POP3. You will get a security complaint and you need to accept that POP3 (according to Google) is less secure than IMAP. Have patience.

In Thunderbird, for connection security choose SSL/TLS. For Authentication method choose normal password.

Get yourself a cuppa for your nerves, a pencil and paper to make notes with and dive in. When you run into trouble post back and let us know what's happening.

Segfault

#5 Post by Segfault »

Thanks everybody. I use Gmail myself with Claws Mail. Her Thunderbird worked until a few days ago she got a new phone and upon first gmail connection it did something to the account settings ... Will see now what can be done. Maybe the IMAP idea is not that bad. I can stop backing up her mail directory then.