Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Too many WM's and not enough normy collective imput...

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
argentwolf

Too many WM's and not enough normy collective imput...

#1 Post by argentwolf »

Amazing! I believe Microsoft in their latest iteration of OS really figured something out. Example: I replaced my wife's dead MS Surface Pro 2 (Windows 8>8.1>10...) with a Windows 11 laptop and within a week the OS somehow managed to invite her to configure the experience in ways I never imagined and has given her a confidence I'd've bet and lost wouldn't happen. And she's become seriously possessive of this machine like never before. Whoa!
From my point of view it was much smoother to setup and configure (can't explain how, and I do Windows for a living) with all the externals (e.g., monitor, Bluetooth, Keyboard/Mouse, backups, NAS resources, cloud storage, printers, etc.).
Personally, I'm a Debian Linux stable control (no drama) security person, knowing to much to trust MS, and will stick with Debian's offered Xfce surface level dull gleam, I don't see the purdy once I opened my apps so what's the point of dapper?
FWIW, my aimed future experience is nicely achieved today in the ArcoLinux-Openbox offering, but Arch only impresses if I were running a cutting edge hardware and needed the latest and greatest kernel hardware stuff, which I can't see ever happening. I'll stick with the base of the base of the base! 8)
There's something to be said with having huge paid resources focused to achieve what I just described above and why Linux in all its flavors may never achieve par. The technically ignorant collective is willing to part with loads of $$ for ease and glitter, and as we know in this forum, doesn't today arrive but onerous.

Edit:
Come on man! No one appreciates my 'best of the best of the best' reference? Tough crowd!

"Men in Black: Best of the best HD CLIP"
https://youtu.be/UHZuLMFfriQ
Last edited by argentwolf on 2022-01-17 18:46, edited 1 time in total.
Vanguard Debian, because nothing's worse than doing nothing, whimsically!
32-bit | 2 Duo T5270 @ 1.40GHz x 2 CPU | 3.9GiB RAM | NV86 117MiB GPU | 465.76GiB SSD
64-bit | i7-4790 @ 3.60GHz x 8 CPU | 15.6GiB RAM | NVD9 1.9GiB GPU | 931.51GiB SSD

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Too many WM's and not enough normy collective imput...

#2 Post by canci »

Not sure how KDE or Gnome or even Mate are difficult for beginners. If we had a huge corporation pushing let's say Ubuntu on their devices, we'd all be seeing people saying: "Oh Ubuntu is so simple".
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

manyroads

#3 Post by manyroads »

canci wrote: 2022-01-17 14:27 Not sure how KDE or Gnome or even Mate are difficult for beginners. If we had a huge corporation pushing let's say Ubuntu on their devices, we'd all be seeing people saying: "Oh Ubuntu is so simple".

You are obviously thinking of those notable easy to use distros Fedora (funded by IBM/Red Hat), OpenSUSE funded by (SUSE), Ubuntu (funded by billionaire Mark Shuttleworth), RedStar OS (funded by the People's Republic of Korea, Pardus (funded by the Government of Turkey),Kylin (funded by the People's Republic of China- PRC and developed by academics at the National University of Defense Technology in the PRC) among other easy to use 'corporate Linux efforts'.

By way of a more serious comment, I do believe Pop!_OS is pretty slick (even though System76 is a small firm).
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau- Prof Genealogist - http://many-roads.com
Linux BLOG https://eirenicon.org
spectrwm,SwayWM,i3wm,hlwm,bspwm,dwm on sid
Linux User #449130

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by canci »

Yes, I meant the more newbie friendly distros. Debian is a bit more involved.
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

seaken64

#5 Post by seaken64 »

MAC has also been doing this for years, focusing on the "easy" button. I've always preferred the DIY approach and being able to get at the guts of my OS with ease. There is nothing inherently wrong with using a pre-fab "easy" OS. Most people prefer that. I prefer a kind of Starter system, or at least the option to tinker behind the scenes. I always got that more in Windows than MAC. It is built in to Linux.

Seaken64

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by canci »

seaken64 wrote: 2022-01-17 16:19 There is nothing inherently wrong with using a pre-fab "easy" OS. Most people prefer that. I prefer a kind of Starter system, or at least the option to tinker behind the scenes.
+1

And Linux gives us both. Mac at least has the decency to have BSD under the hood and a terminal. Windows doesn't do that. Also, have fun using Windows 11 without a Microsoft account and without tracking.

READ THIS:

NFT5
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#7 Post by NFT5 »

canci wrote: 2022-01-17 14:27 Not sure how KDE or Gnome or even Mate are difficult for beginners.
Can't say I agree with Gnome - the interface is just too.....different. Mate is a breeze and KDE is arguably the most configurable desktop but does take some getting used to. Lttle features like windows opening the same size and position. In terms of distros Mint does a great job of making the transition from MS easy. MX has been a rip roaring success because they focus on the user too. There are others, PopOS included.
argentwolf wrote: 2022-01-17 13:55 There's something to be said with having huge paid resources focused to achieve what I just described above and why Linux in all its flavors may never achieve par.
It's not necessarily about money. Ubuntu have proven that, coming up, twice now, with an interface that is a complete disaster. Although based on Ubuntu, Mint doesn't look, feel or behave anything like Ubuntu and they don't have a fraction of the resources. MX is an even better example - just a few devs and all volunteers. I can already hear the "but individuality is what makes Linux different" but it also makes it fragmented and devs work on their personal projects while ignoring the glaring holes that need to be fixed. It would be great if someone could come up with some way that they could generate an income stream from free software, giving them incentive to develop applications that not only work, but are easy to use. The old response that Linux isn't intended to be a desktop OS is dinosaur talk. Those days are gone and the users who only see the CLI are few and far between, other than in serverland.

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#8 Post by canci »

>Ubuntu have proven that,

No they haven't. They've never had the financial power to sell devices the way Windows or MacOS are present.

Yeah, Linux fragmentation is an additional obstacle.

READ THIS: