Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

List of your linux Apps

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
bester69

Re: List of your linux Apps

#381 Post by bester69 »

sunrat wrote:
craigevil wrote:Along with all the cruft that comes with installing either one.
Can you work out how much cruft they pull in? I did a simulate install of some snap package and it wanted to install something like a gigabyte of runtime dependencies. Abandoned that crazy idea and found a perfectly good native alternative which used a few MB. Flatpak is similar afaik.
Containerised applications are a disease imo. Some call it windowsisation. I prefer Linux. This is the way. :wink:
All lies or fake news, most apps share same cores packages so, its the almost same to install a deb once youve installed first core components snap/flatpak
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#382 Post by sunrat »

bester69 wrote: once youve installed first core components snap/flatpak
It's those core components I was asking about. Many hundreds of megabytes.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

craigevil

#383 Post by craigevil »

Packages: 2205 (dpkg), 6 (flatpak), 9 (snap)
Running Lxde, updated from PI OS to sid and removed a bunch of crap along the way.
My entire system is only taking up 13GB on the SDcard. Once you install the cores that snap requires the actual packages are about the same size or less than the same package installed using apt. Now flatpacks are crazy which is why I only have one installed.

Code: Select all

Partition: ID-1: / size: 233.31 GiB used: 13.54 GiB (5.8%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/mmcblk0p2 
           ID-2: /boot size: 252 MiB used: 47.8 MiB (19.0%) fs: vfat dev: /dev/mmcblk0p1 
Swap:      ID-1: swap-1 type: zram size: 256 MiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) dev: /dev/zram0 
           ID-2: swap-2 type: file size: 100 MiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) file: /var/swap
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

craigevil

#384 Post by craigevil »

Here's Okular for example:
Flatpak info:

org.kde.okular permissions:
    ipc                  network              cups      pulseaudio      wayland      x11     dri
    file access [1]      dbus access [2]

[1] host, xdg-config/kdeglobals:ro
    [2] com.canonical.AppMenu.Registrar

ID                               Branch          Op          Remote           Download
 1.     org.kde.Platform.Locale          5.15            i           flathub          < 341.6 MB (partial)
 2.     org.kde.Platform                 5.15            i           flathub          < 346.2 MB
 3.     org.kde.okular.Locale            stable          i           flathub            < 3.1 MB (partial)
 4.     org.kde.okular                   stable          i           flathub           < 60.4 MB
Now using APT, keep in mind I do have a couple of kde apps already installed.

The following NEW packages will be installed:
  kded5 kinit kio kpackagetool5 libaccounts-glib0 libaccounts-qt5-1 libchm1 libepub0 libfam0 libkaccounts2 libkf5activities5 libkf5archive5
  libkf5attica5 libkf5auth-data libkf5authcore5 libkf5bluezqt-data libkf5bluezqt6 libkf5bookmarks-data libkf5bookmarks5 libkf5codecs-data
  libkf5codecs5 libkf5completion-data libkf5completion5 libkf5config-data libkf5configcore5 libkf5configgui5 libkf5configwidgets-data
  libkf5configwidgets5 libkf5coreaddons-data libkf5coreaddons5 libkf5crash5 libkf5dbusaddons-data libkf5dbusaddons5 libkf5declarative-data
  libkf5declarative5 libkf5doctools5 libkf5globalaccel-bin libkf5globalaccel-data libkf5globalaccel5 libkf5globalaccelprivate5 libkf5guiaddons5
  libkf5i18n-data libkf5i18n5 libkf5iconthemes-data libkf5iconthemes5 libkf5itemviews-data libkf5itemviews5 libkf5jobwidgets-data libkf5jobwidgets5
  libkf5js5 libkf5jsapi5 libkf5kexiv2-15.0.0 libkf5khtml-data libkf5khtml5 libkf5kiocore5 libkf5kiogui5 libkf5kiontlm5 libkf5kiowidgets5
  libkf5notifications-data libkf5notifications5 libkf5package-data libkf5package5 libkf5parts-data libkf5parts5 libkf5pty-data libkf5pty5
  libkf5purpose-bin libkf5purpose5 libkf5quickaddons5 libkf5service-bin libkf5service-data libkf5service5 libkf5solid5 libkf5solid5-data
  libkf5sonnet5-data libkf5sonnetcore5 libkf5sonnetui5 libkf5textwidgets-data libkf5textwidgets5 libkf5threadweaver5 libkf5wallet-bin
  libkf5wallet-data libkf5wallet5 libkf5widgetsaddons-data libkf5widgetsaddons5 libkf5windowsystem-data libkf5windowsystem5 libkf5xmlgui-data
  libkf5xmlgui5 libkwalletbackend5-5 libokular5core9 libphonon4qt5-4 libphonon4qt5-data libpolkit-qt5-1-1 libqmobipocket2 libqt5texttospeech5
  libsignon-qt5-1 libxcb-res0 libzip4 okular okular-extra-backends phonon4qt5 phonon4qt5-backend-vlc qml-module-org-kde-bluezqt
  qml-module-org-kde-kquickcontrolsaddons qml-module-qt-labs-folderlistmodel qml-module-qt-labs-settings qml-module-qtqml
  qml-module-qtquick-dialogs qml-module-qtquick-privatewidgets
0 upgraded, 110 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 22.3 MB of archives.
After this operation, 113 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
My Giant Sources.list

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#385 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

sunrat wrote:
craigevil wrote:Along with all the cruft that comes with installing either one.
(...)
Containerised applications are a disease imo. Some call it windowsisation. I prefer Linux. This is the way. :wink:
I agree - this is a "windowsisation" in a pure form.

What's funny, Winblows was always accused of not being able to deliver stable ABI, what in turn have caused that many/most_of application developers were forced to distribute specific versions of runtime libs along with their programs -> flatpak is just re-inventing that square stone, pretending that it's really a wheel... ;)

Excluding an obvious waste of storage space, flatpak distributes outdated/or the newest and untested shared objects (libraries), for which not being reliable is the least significant problem: injecting of trojan code is just trivially easy.
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed

bester69

#386 Post by bester69 »

** Best linux manager Reminder alarms Clock (Very underrated linux app) :?
>> this litle app is without any dude one of 20 best linux app :!:, never fails, 100% stable, most usable app 8)

kalarm
KAlarm is a personal alarm message, command and email scheduler application integrated with the KDE desktop environment. When a scheduled alarm goes off, KAlarm can display a text message or image file, run a command, send an email or play a sound file, acting like an alarm clock.
https://apps.kde.org/en_GB/kalarm

Features:
  • Display alarms using your own text message, the text generated by a command, or a text or image file.
    Audible alarm using a sound file
    Recurring alarm on an hours/minutes, daily, weekly, monthly or annual basis, or set it to trigger every time you log in.
    Display alarms color and font customization
    Support for multiple alarm calendars, which for example enables you to share alarms between a laptop and desktop computer.

bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

craigevil

#387 Post by craigevil »

Yes Kalarm is a great app.

Apps I use many times a day.
Chromium and Firefox, and occasionally Librewolf or Tor browser
irssi
CopyQ
Guake Terminal
nano
Revolt (Matrix client)
conky
Feathernotes
Games: Crossfire, Minetest
A/V: Audacious, Smplayer (trying to work my way through several hours worth of Python videos)
VScode ( had issues with vscodium)
Uget
My Giant Sources.list

bester69

#388 Post by bester69 »

craigevil wrote:Yes Kalarm is a great app.

Apps I use many times a day.
Chromium and Firefox, and occasionally Librewolf or Tor browser
irssi
CopyQ
Guake Terminal
nano
Revolt (Matrix client)
conky
Feathernotes
Games: Crossfire, Minetest
A/V: Audacious, Smplayer (trying to work my way through several hours worth of Python videos)
VScode ( had issues with vscodium)
Uget
I use :
Brave, Guake (curiously I have kde and use guake insteed yakuake :o )
kodi (to play streaming Brrrip releases torrents)
Smplayer (i use it everyday to watch youtube by dragging vid or using Ctrl+U)
copyq (for sure)
Cherrytree for notes (open up ultra quick and richtext and node tabs)
I dont use Audacious, I use Cantata..I made a script to be able to link music files to mpd's library before to play on clicking..
tizonia to listen SoundCloud and Youtube music
Games: Swat4 (wine 1.4, playonlinux)
kmail and kalarm
kdeconnect: to receive movil notifications and use copy/paste in both directions movil/pc
sometimes use wget, and ktorrent for torrents
amule to find and dowload ebooks or ancient movies, or propietary software
rclone, duplicity and borg for backups.. I use duplicity with rclone backend to push duplicity backups into cloud
fsarchiver to backup system patition to local folder and then push into cloud with duplicity+rclone backend

I think you might replace Feathernotes with Cherrytree :o
You might also try deadbeef instead audacious, they're very similar
for podcasts : Cantata or Spotify are best choices available
for radio: I'd recommend you shortwave

Cyborg

#389 Post by Cyborg »

Thanks for recommending lossless-cut. I'd been using flowblade for a while, but it's given me some trouble recently and lossless-cut is perfect for the simple edits I need to do.

bester69

#390 Post by bester69 »

Cyborg wrote:Thanks for recommending lossless-cut. I'd been using flowblade for a while, but it's given me some trouble recently and lossless-cut is perfect for the simple edits I need to do.
You're welcome :o
lossles-cut is best app for cutting movies available in linux..I use it as well when i need to shorten youtube vids...It works vert well and very easy

bester69

#391 Post by bester69 »

QuodLibet (Music Player)
> Quod Libet is a GTK+-based audio player designed around the idea that you know how to organize your music better than we do.
> Unlike some, Quod Libet will scale to libraries with tens of thousands of songs.
Advanced features you’d expect: Unicode support, advanced tag editing, Replay Gain, podcasts & Internet radio, album art support,
https://quodlibet.readthedocs.io/en/latest/
https://quodlibet.readthedocs.io/en/lat ... tures.html

Other Interesting Features.:
- Internet Radio support
- (“Podcast”) support
- Soundcloud Client (browsing and streaming, with login and native favorites support)

WONDERFULL FOR LISTENING SOUNDCLOUD :o

- Quod Libet has over 80 plugins

Install:
https://flathub.org/apps/details/io.git ... .QuodLibet
Last edited by bester69 on 2021-04-18 04:52, edited 2 times in total.

bester69

#392 Post by bester69 »

Headset Appp
Headset is a desktop music player powered by YouTube and Reddit. Headset is a great app for someone who doesn’t want to invest in a paid service like Spotify or Apple Music
Reddit Radio
Discover Music like never before. Reddit takes the entirety of the internet, finds what most interesting and bubbles it to the top. There are hundreds of subreddits for music, focusing on every genre imaginable. The good music gets upvoted to the top and the trash is downvoted to oblivion. Each time you come back you'll find new beats to keep you going.

https://headsetapp.co

Installation.:
https://github.com/headsetapp/headset-electron/releases
https://github.com/headsetapp/headset-e ... stallation

https://snapcraft.io/headset
sudo snap install headset

Debian

wget -q http://headsetapp.co/headset-electron/headset.gpg -O- | sudo tee /usr/share/keyrings/headset-archive-keyring.gpg
echo "deb [arch=amd64 signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/headset-archive-keyring.gpg] http://headsetapp.co/headset-electron/debian stable non-free" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/headset.list
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install headset
Control Player headset(playerctl)
playerctl --player=headset next
playerctl --player=headset play
playerctl --player=headset pause

bester69

#393 Post by bester69 »

Authenticator
A Two-Factor Authentication application
Simple application that generates a two-factor authentication code, created for GNOME.
Many providers: dropbox, yahoo, google, bitwarden...... (Huge database of more than 560 supported services) :!:

Features:
QR code scanner
Beautiful UI
Huge database of more than 560 supported services
Keep your PIN tokens secure by locking the application with a password
Automatically fetch an image for services using their favicon
The possibility to add new services
Dark theme and night light

Installation:
https://snapcraft.io/authenticator
https://flathub.org/apps/details/com.be ... henticator

---------------------------------------------------------------------

authy
Enable two-factor authentication for your favorite sites... (No need to use movil for validation)
**windows, linux, android, mac
https://authy.com/features/

>> It works very good :o
snap install authy --beta

bester69

#394 Post by bester69 »

BEST LINUX FEEDS READER :!: (dont look for other one, there is no better one!)

RSSOwl
https://www.rssowl.org/
RSSOwl is an excellent, easy-to-configure RSS and Atom feed reader, available for Linux, Mac and Windows. It features offline viewing and sharing, a news filter, instant search, notifications, news bins and labels.

craigevil

#395 Post by craigevil »

Distro: Raspberry Pi OS base: Debian GNU/Linux 11 (Unstable)
dm: LightDM
File Manager: pcmanfm, mc
Browser: Firefox, Vivaldi
Terminal: Guake, lxterminal
Desktop Environment: LXDE
Window Manager: openbox
Panel: lxpanel, plank
System info: conky, inxi
Video Player: mpv/celluloid
Image Viewer: gpicview
Audio Player: mocp, audacious
Text Editor: mousepad, nano, tilde
Sound Architecture: ALSA, Pulseaudio, Pipewire
Image Grabber: scrot, Flameshot
Torrenting: Deluge
Mail: Thunderbird
Office: LibreOffice
System load viewers: top, htop, bpytop
IRC: irssi
Matrix Client: gomuks, Revolt
Notes: feathernotes
Newsreader: Liferea, newsboat
Graphics: GIMP, Photoflare
PDFs/e-books: fbreader, qpdfview, okular
Clipboard: Parcellite
Search/Shortcuts: Ulauncher
Last edited by craigevil on 2021-05-17 15:23, edited 1 time in total.
My Giant Sources.list

craigevil

#396 Post by craigevil »

Getting Things GNOME!
Personal tasks and TODO-list items organizer
https://flathub.org/apps/details/org.gnome.GTG
My Giant Sources.list

bester69

#397 Post by bester69 »

!!VERY GOOD APPPLICATION, everything works very well , stable and smooth :o

orion-desktop (trialware 9 days) :!:
Last updated 22 April 2021
Powerful BitTorrent client and torrent streamer Player for Linux Desktop
>> Orion comes with an in-built powerful media player backend (Powered by MPV)
https://snapcraft.io/orion-desktop

Currently supported Plugins:
Orion support plugins which help extend its usability, and make it more than just a torrent client.
App locker - allows lock app with a password.
Torrent discover - browser new torrents, search torrents, sort them, etc.
YouTube plugin: allows you to browse, download, and play media from Youtube easily.
Discover plugin helps you in discovering new movies by allowing you to set various criteria such as year, rating, genre, etc.
Torrent metadata - shows informative text about the selected torrent item.

Streaming Torrents:
:!: Works very well like AcestramPlayer, not like webtorrent that doesnt work at all. :?

Streaming/Downloading Youtube chain Selection:

Last edited by 4D696B65 on 2021-05-22 12:06, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed pirated movie

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#398 Post by oswaldkelso »

Absolute oxymoron. Yet more ill thought out slaveware promotion.

It might work but torrents are not designed to be streamed. They are designed to accessible over a long period of time. Some times an obscure torrent can take months to download.

To watch a streaming torrent you need to down load the files sequentially and to do that you need to have enough seeders or fast connectivity. Try streaming an obscure film it will fail. The only way it could work is if the film is cached via an intermediary but then it not a streaming torrent.

If you're going to torrent and want it to still be of any use to anyone. You have to seed and preferably when it comes to non changeable media like films seed for years.
Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian

bester69

#399 Post by bester69 »

oswaldkelso wrote:Absolute oxymoron. Yet more ill thought out slaveware promotion.

It might work but torrents are not designed to be streamed. They are designed to accessible over a long period of time. Some times an obscure torrent can take months to download.

To watch a streaming torrent you need to down load the files sequentially and to do that you need to have enough seeders or fast connectivity. Try streaming an obscure film it will fail. The only way it could work is if the film is cached via an intermediary but then it not a streaming torrent.

If you're going to torrent and want it to still be of any use to anyone. You have to seed and preferably when it comes to non changeable media like films seed for years.
Torrents streaming are designed for a dynamic timelife period..the torrent only survive depeding the seeds keepin it alive, what means tha file only survive as long as there are people interested on it keeping it on its computer... Good movies are always available even with past of years,.. old noir movies are also available.. and recent movies (two to ten years period) are always available... I dont understand what is your point..ive already wathed with quasar addon around 400 movies torrents with hd quality in last ten years.. :roll: most afternoons I usually watch a new movie afer lunch..(I know i will go into jail soon :? )

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#400 Post by oswaldkelso »

My point is torrents are not designed to be streamed. A torrent may come down really fast because it has many seeders. Just see how quickly a Debian torrent comes down. But there is no way you upload it back as quickly. Not unless your upload speed is as fast as your download, and if it is tell me your provider.
Torrents streaming are designed for a dynamic timelife period..the torrent only survive depeding the seeds keepin it alive, what means tha file only survive as long as there are people interested on it keeping it on its computer...
Exactly. Are you telling me that once the torrent stream stops you'll have uploaded at least the same amount of data as you downloaded? If not does the program have the ability to do so by continuing to seed in the back ground until that point is reached. If it does do you do it? If not torrent streamers is just another name for torrent leechers.
Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian