Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Cyber attack spreads worldwide

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
pylkko

Re: Cyber attack spreads worldwide

#61 Post by pylkko »

bester69 wrote:
alan stone wrote:
Job wrote:I still believe that Linux is more secure than windows.
Security is a process, not a product. - Bruce Schneier
Its both things, id say

I havent heard in life of anyone getting inffected in Android Systems (linux system), and there hundred of millons of users using Android, and installing thousands of differents apps in that system. I go to google news, and you cant find anything about security infecctions in android.

I always said linux is inmune to virus and malware, and for what i've seen the last five years, this is like that in real life.
I wouldn't be so sure... there are linux malware, there is even a wikipedia page which attempts to list them all. also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lv28Yg04haE
10 million infections:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4uyc5vWWIc
35 million:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo_1YfpOTm4

kateronhur

#62 Post by kateronhur »

In today's interconnected world, developed and high-tech societies are highly dependent on the work of a number of services and services that have now become vital. A certain infrastructure ensures the normal operation of basic services and production systems in any society. ... In recent years, the level of cybercrime has been steadily increasing all over the world. The development of the Internet and the digital transformation of society is a "double-edged sword", because all this gives certain opportunities for criminals. Therefore, I advise you to protect your data with Norton 360 Antivirus and it will really help you!
Last edited by kateronhur on 2021-08-15 11:01, edited 1 time in total.

eor2004

#63 Post by eor2004 »

RU55EL wrote: 2017-05-13 04:03
bester69 wrote: [...]More reasons for using Linux? :?
More reasons not to use Windows XP!
I recently went to a government agency where I live and to my surprise and amazement they were using Windows XP on all the computers, these computers have sensitive information, they're asking for trouble by not updating the software and/or hardware, a real shame!

On the other hand, someone from India gained access to my Netflix account, I don't know how they obtained my password, if anyone has an idea please tell me, I had to change my password to a stronger one!
Debian 12 Gnome on a MSI H61M-P25 (B3) PC & on a Dell Latitude E6410 & HP EliteBook 8540p Laptops.
LMDE 6 on a Panasonic ToughBook CF-C1 Laptop.
Bodhi Linux 7 on a HP Compaq DC5750 Small Form Factor PC.
Windows 11 on a Intel DH55TC PC.

Lysander

#64 Post by Lysander »

eor2004 wrote: 2021-08-11 18:59
I recently went to a government agency where I live and to my surprise and amazement they were using Windows XP on all the computers, these computers have sensitive information, they're asking for trouble by not updating the software and/or hardware, a real shame!
Security incidents are actually extremely rare. They should ideally do something about it, but I can understand it if they don't. I'm not saying they shouldn't, but I can understand a company just coasting it.

eor2004 wrote: 2021-08-11 18:59 On the other hand, someone from India gained access to my Netflix account, I don't know how they obtained my password, if anyone has an idea please tell me, I had to change my password to a stronger one!

Your password was rubbish and it was bruteforced.
kateronhur wrote: 2021-08-11 13:09 Which of the cybersecurity methods do you know!? I would like to protect myself

Just don't do anything stupid. Most security incidents are PEBKAC.

eor2004

#65 Post by eor2004 »

Lysander wrote: 2021-08-12 10:23
eor2004 wrote: 2021-08-11 18:59 On the other hand, someone from India gained access to my Netflix account, I don't know how they obtained my password, if anyone has an idea please tell me, I had to change my password to a stronger one!

Your password was rubbish and it was bruteforced.
Yeah, that could be an explanation, but I think that wasn't the case, what I think happened is that because I use the same netflix password for other sites, there where a security breach on one or a couple of those sites (happens a lot nowadays) and they or someone who stole the passwords gave or sold those passwords or user info to these people and they were able to get my netflix password (and from other peoples too for that matter), I know it is a very bad idea to use the same password for a lot of websites but for me it's not easy to remember a lot of different passwords, maybe using an automatic password generator or something like that! Do you know of an application that can do that? I know that Firefox has an automatic random password generator, but I don't use Firefox on my smartphone or tablets, only on my Laptops or Desktops, so is not an option for me at the moment!
Debian 12 Gnome on a MSI H61M-P25 (B3) PC & on a Dell Latitude E6410 & HP EliteBook 8540p Laptops.

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#66 Post by Hallvor »

I use pwgen in the main repository. Install it and type the password length, for instance

Code: Select all

$ pwgen 30
This will spit out many random passwords with 30 characters in length. Half of that would probably be more convenient and safe enough: https://www.lmgsecurity.com/how-long-sh ... th-policy/

I then change passwords for each service with unique passwords generated by pwgen, paste them into Firefox (and save them there) and also into a text file with all login data (for backup).

The file is then gpg-encrypted with a very strong passphrase and uploaded to a cloud service.

Then delete the password file in clear text on your computer.

To add a new password, run pwgen, paste it into your web browser, download the file, decrypt it, add the new data, encrypt it again, upload to the cloud and delete the local file. There may be better ways, but this is how I do it. It is a little cumbersome, but it gives me peace of mind.

To use it on your smartphone, just copy the text file to the device and copy-paste the passwords. (Make sure your smartphone doesn't upload the file unencrypted to the cloud.)

There are also dedicated password managers: https://itsfoss.com/password-managers-linux/

Most of the people being pawned have either used bad passwords or used the same password on many different sites. If one site is pawned, they will test if the same login and password will work on other sites.
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

eor2004

#67 Post by eor2004 »

Thanks Hallvor, I'll try one of those options later, thank you very much for the info!

millpond

#68 Post by millpond »

Passwords? Pointless. Its not the way things work these days.
RATs (Remote Access Trojans) are used to infect a system, and send out screenshots/key logs.

My XP systems are the safest. I havent seen a booger in years that will work with them.
Even the old scumware cant phone home anymore. IPs long gone.
A modern booger will not even work in a single CPU machine. It would be considered a VM or sandbox.

Most RATs require services. Turn off RDP, BITS.