I gave up Upgrading to buster
To much efforts and system not working smooth like before with stretch..
- I was able to install old kernel 4.4.39, was able to downgrade microcode and was able to downgrade graphic firmware to match older stretch installation.:
At first things looks aparently good, but then you realise its not working out.
>> I used kde Netrunner-Core as a base ditro buster
to start a zero and clean debian migration.
Some list of issues I gave into moving to buster.:
- Once downgraded kernel to 4.4.39 I wasnt able to compile Virtualbox kernels, I only was able with last 4.4.x kernel
- dolphin, opened all folder with view preview checked.. (it seems a kde bug), but i wasnt able to figure it out how to fix it)
- mpv 29, doesnt work well, like mpv28, it insists in pick low quality streaming videos insteed of 720p.. .
(Couldnr keep mpv28 in buster, what i dosent yet understand, why cant we keep some older versions if we need them)
- last ffmpeg version eats more cpu, and doesnt performance so smooth like stretch one.
- kodi17 doesnt work smooth like with stretch.. menus moves like with some litle lag, and I didnt check video performances
- Some scripts stop working .. (some new versions, like borg need new parameters (borg init --encryptation))
- My Swat4 wine game, stopped working, thought I was able to make run some playonlinux apps i had installed, the one i matter wasnt able to make it work...,
wine 1.4.1 (requiered by swat4), doesnt deploy, ask for some fonts ...i tried with some mayor wine version to check if could fix it later, and gamen opened so slow it wasnt playable, what tells me, I woulldn be able to fix it, probable becouse new mesa or libdrm buster, wont make it work well.
- And I didnt try to migrate kontact, becouse that was so much work it was not going to pay off... So I gave up, and restored stretch btrfs snapshots..
I know with a new hardware, most of before issues will dissapear.., but for now, i cant move to buster without losing some performance and funcionality.. I dont want to lose Swat4 game, I play to it all my spare times.
By Resuming, BUSTER >> NOT SUITABLE FOR LOW SPECS CPU
Buster seems to eat some more few RAM (no much bigger than stretch), Is faster responsive with some things like IO/disk operations ..explorer (opening photos, copy/paste, unziiping, etc).. also quicker rendering web pages and images, but not suitable for lower cpu systems.. last ffmpeg libraries, mpv and others graphichs libraries and very importatn system components(LIBDRM, VAAPI, mesa, etc), WINE, microcode, last firmware, are not designed for very low spec computers... Its downgrades rather performance in comparison with Stretch