Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Windows Subsystem for Linux

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
pendrachken

Re: Windows Subsystem for Linux

#21 Post by pendrachken »

LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote: It's rather obvoius that Debian Users don't need WSL, just like Windows users don't need WINE.
Microshit's WSL deficiences should be discussed on a Winblows forums, just like WINE topics are discussed on Linux forums.
Wow, so everyone other than you is dumb, but you don't even understand the topic being discussed and can only froth at the mouth and rant. Nice.

If I had Win10 as my host OS for my VMs and few Win64 applications I need to make money from ( photoshop / lightroom / other creative stuff ) instead of Win2K12R2 I would use the hell out of WSL2 for sure. It would run applications even faster than stripped down VM's, can have a debian or buntu base, and can be granted access to more of the host FS than the crappy SMB shared folders that VM's give you. It also would be a hell of a lot better of an environment than the cygwin setup I have. Cygwin is decent enough, but it just can't do the same things as a full blown linux CLI.
LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote: By definition Linux User don't use Winblows to run Linux applications trough the ABI emulator and vice versa.

IMO this thread should be locked after Your 1st post - just like other threads related to Microshit products and the Windows OS.

Regards
Well, in my opinion you should be banned for a few days every time you rant offtopic in someone's thread when they are just hoping to have a technical discussion. Take your paranoia somewhere else or take your meds. Different tools do different jobs, and OS's are just tools at the end of the day.

And as I said above, I'd use WSL if I could, and guess what... many of my VM's are debian. So I'm a debian user. How about you STFU and stop talking like you represent ALL of us. You don't, and worse you seem to live in some kind of bubble, and want to drag everyone else in with you. A bubble that you are intentionally making just as restrictive as the EVIL closed source software you proclaim to hate so much. By saying a person can't / shouldn't use a piece of software is exactly what the GPL was made to fight against, but zealots like you are trying to tell others they CAN'T / shouldn't use software just because it's not Free / Open... the irony is strong enough to stain a sink.
fortune -o
Your love life will be... interesting.
:twisted: How did it know?

The U.S. uses the metric system too, we have tenths, hundredths and thousandths of inches :-P

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#22 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

pendrachken wrote:If I had Win10 as my host OS for my VMs and few Win64 applications I need to make money from ( photoshop / lightroom / other creative stuff ) instead of Win2K12R2 I would use the hell out of WSL2 for sure. It would run applications even faster than stripped down VM's, can have a debian or buntu base, and can be granted access to more of the host FS than the crappy SMB shared folders that VM's give you. It also would be a hell of a lot better of an environment than the cygwin setup I have. Cygwin is decent enough, but it just can't do the same things as a full blown linux CLI.
... so basically You are a Windows user, who have installed Debian in a VM - WOW - that explains why You are so frustrated about my posts.
pendrachken wrote:By saying a person can't / shouldn't use a piece of software is exactly what the GPL was made to fight against, but zealots like you are trying to tell others they CAN'T / shouldn't use software just because it's not Free / Open... the irony is strong enough to stain a sink.
I have no right to tell people what software they can't use - but I have the right to express my opinions and to discourage use of non-free software - of course, nobody has to listen to me - I'm just another Debian user.

However, it is obvious that You didn't even read the GPL license - and You have just proved this fact.

The GPL license (in the Preamble) clearly defines what does it mean Free Software, and it also explains why closed source software violates the end user's freedom.
Moreover, Debian is based on free and open source software, and the Debian project promotes free software as well - so maybe You should switch to Ubuntu?

You told me to STFU, but I don't feel offended - internet provokes frustrated people to be boorish, especially when they feel anonymous.
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed

pendrachken

#23 Post by pendrachken »

Nah, you really should STFU. You again are talking about things you don't understand.

But, you are 1/5th right at least, so you got something right for once! You should probably celebrate that.... Other than ignoring the fact that I also use cygwin and various linux and BSD Vms.

Yep, I'm a Windows user, And also a BSD user, OS/X user, Android user, and Multiple distro's of Linux user. I'm what's called intelligent and educated, and know to use the proper tool for the correct job it will be doing. Believe it or not, I still use DOS for some things :roll: Linux is great for a lot of things, but sucks donkey nuts for others. Same iwth OS/X, BSD, and windows. Each has things they do well, and each has things they struggle with. It's not worth my time to fight with any of them to make them do a specific job. I will just use whatever one does a specific job the best, and go between all OS's with VM's on one machine so I can do what's needed.

Oh, and by the way, WSL doesn't emulate the linux kernel like WINE does windows sys calls. It uses its own build of the linux kernel just like any other distro. You can get the sources and build it yourself, or submit patches to the official github repo. Might want to actually go and do some research on things before you go ranting next time.

Speaking of that, your excessive ranting and use of mocking names for things that others use isn't going to help linux like you seem to think it will. It just makes people who look at the linux community think all of us a are stupid, and want to avoid us just because they can't give up some proprietary software... because viable alternatives simply do not exist.
fortune -o
Your love life will be... interesting.
:twisted: How did it know?

The U.S. uses the metric system too, we have tenths, hundredths and thousandths of inches :-P

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#24 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

I like You, seriously - but I'm a little bit disappointed, because apparently You don't know the very basic rule which applies to all the forum "battles": You should understand, that You're not responding to Your opponent's post - this is a public forum - what means, that every human in the world can potentially read *Your post*.

Have You ever considered this?

For me it seems that You didn't.

Regards ;)
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."

trinidad

#25 Post by trinidad »

It uses its own build of the linux kernel just like any other distro
I can't address all the fallacies in this series of posts from the OP and from LE_... but at least this from pen.... is correct, and the WSL kernel is open source, and you can now compile your own WSL kernel.

https://github.com/microsoft/WSL2-Linux-Kernel
https://wsl.dev/wsl2-kernel-zfs/

Will MS corporate philosophy EEE ever change? Who cares any more. Driven by a necessity for survival they are drawing in Linux developers and in a lot of cases paying them for LINUX development. And more and more MS code is becoming available along the way. I've used WSL since the first day it appeared and I am encouraged by its continued development. I've seen all the issues with it change and problems be solved at an amazing pace affecting many other cross platform issues in a positive way (ie/ SSH and others). LINUX developers provided those solutions.

A Linux OS system on a WSL kernel is actually more secure than the Windows system it runs in and it does not inherit Windows vulnerabilities directly from Windows, and over the network it generates its own IP address. With file system access the security risk is actually currently in the other direction especially with malware planting. Hardly surprising. Any Linux desktop OS on any Windows network is a security risk to every Windows desktop it networks with.

I am a Windows user by necessity but I only personally own one Windows 10 machine and I am loathe to use Windows at all. My server and my two main desktop systems are Debian. I run BL in a VM. I install Linux Lite for new users who come to my shop. I consider myself ethical in business.

TC
You can't believe your eyes if your imagination is out of focus.

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#26 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

trinidad wrote:I am a Windows user by necessity
Interesting - so now all the Microshit Winblows users have moved to the Debian User forums? - is it because Microshit cloud services have stopped to work yesterday or what?
trinidad wrote:
It uses its own build of the linux kernel just like any other distro
I can't address all the fallacies in this series of posts from the OP and from LE_... but at least this from pen.... is correct, and the WSL kernel is open source, and you can now compile your own WSL kernel.
There's one problem: That kernel does not control anything besides the processes that are running on top of it - this is almost exactly the same case like in WINE.

Another quite problematic fact is that Microshit is pushing DirectX to userspace in WSL - and of course this is one of a closed source components of the WSL. Obviously they don't like OpenGL and Vulcan.

Again, this is a Debian User forums, and Debian is an open and free software project - if Winblows really has that 70% of market share, then why do You care so much about spamming this meaningless Debian forums with Winblows threads?

Is that 70% a myth? ;)

trinidad

#27 Post by trinidad »

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17592

I must be confused. Perhaps you can translate this for me.

TC

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#28 Post by oswaldkelso »

last time I looked in Debian packages I didn't see Windows 10 or WSL, even in non-free! Let us not forget windows 10 is a hard dependency for WSL

https://www.debian.org/distrib/packages#search_packages

If an Ubuntu, Mint, Devuan MX, Antix or any other Debian derivative had started the thread they would have been given short shrift and sent on their way on their respective forums. Sometimes this seems a bit harsh but no one complains because it's not possible to provide fixes for systems that deviate from the Debian way . No matter how interesting or not the question. Show us your sources list will often result in he big boot or Frankendebian slurs

How is it different for a Windows 10 user?
Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#29 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

trinidad wrote:http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17592
I must be confused. Perhaps you can translate this for me.
The rules for offtopic section are just generalization, as they are defining the least acceptable level/area of discussion.

Generalised rules are requiring to be re-interpreted for each specific case, and You can easily find threads which has been locked in the offtopic section just because they were referencing Debian derivative distros (like f.e. Raspbian), not to mention Winblows.

WSL is part of the biggest EEE campaign in the Microshit history - a 3 decades of lies, stealing of the code (proved in a court), and cheating of naive customers.

Loci.Cantos

#30 Post by Loci.Cantos »

I opened this thread as a Debian and Ubuntu user, asking about the potential data-scraping liability if I were to mount Linux resources using WSL. There is nothing wrong with the question. I appreciate the positive input here from CwF, Pendrachken, and Trinidad. Thank you.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#31 Post by CwF »

Tangent to Debian post get moved to here and not from here. This is the appropriate place for this thread, obviously.

Marie SWE

#32 Post by Marie SWE »

trinidad wrote: Any Linux desktop OS on any Windows network is a security risk to every Windows desktop it networks with.
I just have to ask what you mean by that sentence.

Why are all Linux computers in a shared network a risk to Windows computers?
Why make things complicated in life, if you can make it easier for yourself... Do it. ;o)
You only have one life, so make the most of it and enjoy it while you can.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#33 Post by CwF »

Marie SWE wrote:Why are all Linux computers in a shared network a risk to Windows computers?
In alternate lingo, the linux machine is a 'carrier' forming a 'disease vector'.
However I don't know of an example. There is I believe AV software for linux that checks for signatures of viruses that only can infect a windows machine.

esp7

#34 Post by esp7 »

I have to confirm that I use daily Debian WSL2 on the w10 from my work! And i got them love it, it avoids me having to install a shitload of terrible windows apps!
ThinkPad X220: i5-2520M CPU 2.5GHz - 8GB RAM 1333 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 250GB - Debian - ME_cleaned
ThinkPad X230: i5-3320M CPU 3.3GHz - 8GB RAM 1600 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 500GB - Debian - ME_cleaned

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#35 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

esp7 wrote: 2021-07-20 16:09 I have to confirm that I use daily Debian WSL2 on the w10 from my work! And i got them love it, it avoids me having to install a shitload of terrible windows apps!
It's good to know, but I have 2 questions:
1. If You need GNU/Linux - specific applications for Your work, then why don't You just use Debian GNU/Linux?
2. Microsoft wants to keep the Windows OS alive, while it is slowly but inevitably becoming irrelevant for most of business tasks - so by using Windows as a host OS You are supporting/promoting Microsoft - did they have allowed You to disable the network bandwidth sharing for Windows updates? Or maybe even to close all the connections to Akamai Technologies? - That would be just fantastic... <joke/>

esp7

#36 Post by esp7 »

LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote: 2021-07-20 21:33
esp7 wrote: 2021-07-20 16:09 I have to confirm that I use daily Debian WSL2 on the w10 from my work! And i got them love it, it avoids me having to install a shitload of terrible windows apps!
It's good to know, but I have 2 questions:
1. If You need GNU/Linux - specific applications for Your work, then why don't You just use Debian GNU/Linux?
2. Microsoft wants to keep the Windows OS alive, while it is slowly but inevitably becoming irrelevant for most of business tasks - so by using Windows as a host OS You are supporting/promoting Microsoft - did they have allowed You to disable the network bandwidth sharing for Windows updates? Or maybe even to close all the connections to Akamai Technologies? - That would be just fantastic... <joke/>
Company policy, w10 and all in the Microsoft cloud with o365 and SharePoint :(
ThinkPad X220: i5-2520M CPU 2.5GHz - 8GB RAM 1333 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 250GB - Debian - ME_cleaned
ThinkPad X230: i5-3320M CPU 3.3GHz - 8GB RAM 1600 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 500GB - Debian - ME_cleaned

trinidad

#37 Post by trinidad »

did they have allowed You to disable the network bandwidth sharing for Windows updates?
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 3bfbe688e8
Or maybe even to close all the connections to Akamai Technologies?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akamai_Technologies

Missed this the first time. I'm gonna go ahead and build Linux Lite for WSL2. Na na na na na.

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#38 Post by 4D696B65 »

cynwulf

#39 Post by cynwulf »

4D696B65 wrote: 2021-09-17 23:23 malware found in WSL
https://blog.lumen.com/no-longer-just-t ... s-loaders/
I think that's more about WSL being a vector for Windows malware as it "flies under the radar" of typical Windows "Endpoint Security" solutions.

In terms of the whole premise of this thread - I am rather on the fence. My understanding of WSL(1) was that it used "emulation", whereas WSL2 uses virtualisation (via Hyper-V) to run a Linux kernel. VMs are equivalent to containers or even jails for some people - I don't share that view. My view is that the guest is only as secure as the host.

MS could theoretically scrape data from the WSL distro, as the distribution files are accessible under the Windows file hierarchy:

https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insid ... ild-18342/
Linux Files inside of File Explorer

We added the ability for users to access Linux files in a WSL distro from Windows. These files can be accessed through the command line, and also Windows apps, like File Explorer, VSCode, etc. can interact with these files. Access your files by navigating to \\wsl$\<distro_name>, or see a list of running distributions by navigating to \\wsl$.
This "feature" obviously raises many questions. As it's Microsoft (though you could say the same for google and a few more), then you should assume that if the data can be scraped then it will be. A review of the Windows 10 EULA will put you straight / dispel any illusions...

argentwolf

#40 Post by argentwolf »

cynwulf wrote: 2021-09-29 13:15
4D696B65 wrote: 2021-09-17 23:23 malware found in WSL
https://blog.lumen.com/no-longer-just-t ... s-loaders/
I think that's more about WSL being a vector for Windows malware as it "flies under the radar" of typical Windows "Endpoint Security" solutions.

In terms of the whole premise of this thread - I am rather on the fence. My understanding of WSL(1) was that it used "emulation", whereas WSL2 uses virtualisation (via Hyper-V) to run a Linux kernel. VMs are equivalent to containers or even jails for some people - I don't share that view. My view is that the guest is only as secure as the host.

MS could theoretically scrape data from the WSL distro, as the distribution files are accessible under the Windows file hierarchy:

https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insid ... ild-18342/
Linux Files inside of File Explorer

We added the ability for users to access Linux files in a WSL distro from Windows. These files can be accessed through the command line, and also Windows apps, like File Explorer, VSCode, etc. can interact with these files. Access your files by navigating to \\wsl$\<distro_name>, or see a list of running distributions by navigating to \\wsl$.
This "feature" obviously raises many questions. As it's Microsoft (though you could say the same for google and a few more), then you should assume that if the data can be scraped then it will be. A review of the Windows 10 EULA will put you straight / dispel any illusions...
Huh, I'll take: What is an Encrypted LVM for $5,000.
Vanguard Debian, because nothing's worse than doing nothing, whimsically!
32-bit | 2 Duo T5270 @ 1.40GHz x 2 CPU | 3.9GiB RAM | NV86 117MiB GPU | 465.76GiB SSD
64-bit | i7-4790 @ 3.60GHz x 8 CPU | 15.6GiB RAM | NVD9 1.9GiB GPU | 931.51GiB SSD