Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian's Cinnamon desktop maintainer quits: -KDE is better

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Debian's Cinnamon desktop maintainer quits: -KDE is better

#1 Post by Hallvor »

"Preining caused some consternation last week when he stated: "Since my switch to KDE/Plasma, I haven't used Cinnamon in months." Preining said that he left GNOME 3 because of its "complete lack of usability for pro-users" and adopted Cinnamon because of what he felt was the bloat "during the bad days of KDE 3 and 4". However, he is a recent convert, calling it "more lightweight, faster, responsive, integrated, customizable" than earlier versions."

https://www.theregister.com/2021/06/15/ ... ner_quits/
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

NFT5
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

Re: Debian's Cinnamon desktop maintainer quits: -KDE is bett

#2 Post by NFT5 »

He's right.

Cinnamon is a desktop that's stuck in a no man's land between light and full featured. It really doesn't offer much more than MATE but without the light (system) weight. It certainly doesn't offer the configurability that Plasma does and while it is lighter, in these days when most desktops are running 8-16Gb RAM, that isn't much advantage.

When MATE was going through panel related stability issues a couple of years ago I made a serious effort with Cinnamon. In the end just bit the bullet and moved to Plasma. A bit of a learning curve after mainly GTK stuff, but well worth it.