Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

It's now a Black Screen of Death

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
LE_746F6D617A7A69

Re: It's now a Black Screen of Death

#21 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

wizard10000 wrote:
LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote:I'm sorry but I don't understand...
I think you do and this topic really doesn't rate discussion. We're done here.
"We're done here" means that You don't have any arguments or You are tired - are You tired or You just don't have any arguments?
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed

ticojohn

#22 Post by ticojohn »

I started this thread so as to make a negative comment about Microsoft and Windows. It has seriously degraded into some really unwarranted and nasty personal comments. I think it would be appropriate for an admin to lock this thread.
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#23 Post by oswaldkelso »

Please do not lock his thread!

Even if the two main protagonists have called for it. It's not their thread it's everyone's. Here (Debian User Forums ) if you post it stays.Even my own shameful drunken rants. :oops:

While it has been combative it has also been civil and informative. Been to much locking of threads that are within the forum guidelines over recent years. Let it die a natural death like any other.

That said there has been points raised that perhaps warrant their own threads, but that is for those with a dog in he fight to start them.

carry on :mrgreen:
Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#24 Post by CwF »

oswaldkelso wrote:... It's not their thread it's everyone's....
Let it die a natural death like any other.
Amen

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#25 Post by sunrat »

LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote:Mr stevepusser had to choke the fact that he have falsely accused me of creating non-existing technical term - quite unexpected and childish behaviour ;)
LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote:
...Microshit Winblows
Pot - kettle - black.

@LE_746F6D617A7A69 I know you mainly post in the forums to denigrate Microsoft, but please keep a civil tone without ad hominem attacks. This goes for everyone. Thank you.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#26 Post by steve_v »

LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote:curently Zener diodes are very rarely used because of low accuracy and stability of the breakdown voltage level and because of relatively high power losses
Indeed, but they do have one thing going for them: they're dirt cheap.
I bet you a cookie your toaster has a: a dirty little capacitive dropper straight off the mains, b: a zener regulator, or c: probably both. If there's a corner to be cut or a cent to be saved, you can bet $box-store-brand appliance is doing exactly that, efficiency be damned. Doubly so if it only needs a few mA to run a bargain-basement microcontroller and some mostly-pointless leds.
LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote:Btw, I don't like Alanis Morissette, I prefer KAT
Well, yeah. I mean it's KAT, what's not to like? \m/(><)\m/
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

wizard10000
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#27 Post by wizard10000 »

sunrat wrote:please keep a civil tone...
Couldn't agree more; not sure where I see an advantage to using this forum to denigrate anyone or anything. I'm all for civil debate but could really do without the ad hominem comments, false dichotomies and general name-calling. I think people can freely express themselves without all the ridiculousness :)

But - I've had my say and will now go back to my corner and sit quietly :)

Thanks, sunrat - have a grand weekend!
we see things not as they are, but as we are.
-- anais nin

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#28 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

steve_v wrote:
LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote:curently Zener diodes are very rarely used because of low accuracy and stability of the breakdown voltage level and because of relatively high power losses
Indeed, but they do have one thing going for them: they're dirt cheap.
I bet you a cookie your toaster has a: a dirty little capacitive dropper straight off the mains, b: a zener regulator, or c: probably both. If there's a corner to be cut or a cent to be saved, you can bet $box-store-brand appliance is doing exactly that, efficiency be damned. Doubly so if it only needs a few mA to run a bargain-basement microcontroller and some mostly-pointless leds.
Well, at least in the EU this is not possible - such device wouldn't get the CE certifiicate.
However, such horrible solutions are acceptable in devices which under normal conditions can't be touched by humans - like f.e. low power led lamps designed for mounting on the ceiling.

The most commonly used replacement for zener diodes is TL431 - a very cheap shunt regulator with excellent parameters.
steve_v wrote:
LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote:Btw, I don't like Alanis Morissette, I prefer KAT
Well, yeah. I mean it's KAT, what's not to like? \m/(><)\m/
Yeah, but in this case "KAT" means a hangman or a butcher... ;)
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#29 Post by steve_v »

LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote:in the EU this is not possible - such device wouldn't get the CE certifiicate.
CE stickers are also cheap... at least in China. Granted the stuff I've seen is at least minimum-effort double-insulated, but the fact that I see inside it at all speaks volumes about it's reliability.

Then again, In this part of the world we also ban old-school small linear supplies because of their idle (magnetising) current (mah efficiency), and encourage the use of the cheapest, nastiest, noisiest, borderline-dangerous Chinese SMPS possible... Then we whine about low power-factor and harmonic distortion on the mains, LED luminaires that fail randomly when it's too cold, too hot, or too many people look at them funny, and USB phone chargers that try to electrocute you or burn down your house.
As someone who plays with '80s Japanese electronics in my day job, I find the "modern" garbage I have to deal with pretty depressing. It's all cost-down crap, and the unwashed masses seem to make a hobby of assisting it on it's journey from shelf to landfill.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

stevepusser

#30 Post by stevepusser »

Mr stevepusser had to choke the fact that he have falsely accused me of creating non-existing technical term - quite unexpected and childish behaviour ;)
Sheesh, I was just trying to be a little funny in this offtopic thread after spending hours trying to help newcomers to MX that had made a dog's breakfast ( hearby dubbed "WHINE") by mixing Crossover's, WineHQ's, Debian's wine-devel, and our own MX wine-staging packages and expecting their Windows games to just magically work, when I'd much rather spend my time backport interesting stuff like Kodi or even boring text editors like vim...luckily I have Spock to help out: Image
MX Linux packager and developer

trinidad

#31 Post by trinidad »

There is no quality of human behaviour more loathsomely narcissistic than the driven need to convince someone else to hate what you hate. No one needs to be instructed as to what, how, or why to hate. Unfortunately much of our human world was made, and is being made along the arc of this repulsive dynamic, because of our emotionally flawed nature. It is sadly absurd to attempt to erect a mental hierarchy in another human being based on what you may hate, regardless of what you perceive are good reasons, simply because the mental artefacts of hatred can only harm the mental processes of whoever you convince to agree with you. On the other hand, to communicate about what you love, and why you love, is a constructive dynamic.

black screen blue screen
oh crap what did I do screen

black Linux blue Linux
most of the world uses Windows Linux

black forum blue forum
indulge your emotions freely forum

black thugs blue thugs
hid behind the keyboard thugs

black stupid blue stupid
the kind you can’t fix stupid

black screens matter blue screens matter
but there are only nonsense words about that matter

black sense blue sense
let’s find the end of common sense

black screen blue screen
study Marx in grade school screen

blue screen black screen
is it too late for going back screen?

Bitching about Microsoft is akin to bitching about taxes, but don’t misconstrue the facts. Most servers are Linux, and most of us in the US are happy to be law abiding citizens who pay their taxes albeit with a little occasional bitching, no matter what you see on television.

TC
You can't believe your eyes if your imagination is out of focus.

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#32 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

trinidad wrote:(...) On the other hand, to communicate about what you love, and why you love, is a constructive dynamic.
Oh really? - I would say that it's hate which unites people - just recall yourself what have happened to capitol recently. It was a disaster of democratic standards and traditions - but it have showed the truth about human nature - hate is the most powerful weapon in the history of humanity.
trinidad wrote: Bitching about Microsoft is akin to bitching about taxes, but don’t misconstrue the facts. Most servers are Linux, and most of us in the US are happy to be law abiding citizens who pay their taxes albeit with a little occasional bitching, no matter what you see on television.
I agree that many people are paying taxes for Microshit - especially since Microshit have introduced the "taxes" for their office 365 and cloud services.

First, the thing is that GNU/Linux systems ofers alternative and comparable solutions - no need to pay "taxes" for Microshit.
Second: "Most servers are Linux" -> that's true, but apparently You're blind (or You're just pretending that You can't see the facts) - WSL is designed to eliminate linux from servers, and for killing open standards like opengl and vulcan - this is an EEE in a pure form.
If we don't do anything about this (starting from bashing the Microshit) then in just a few years Miroshit will dominate the world again - only the users can stop this process (voting with their wallets) - and that's all what I've tried to say.
On the other hand, voting by wallets just can't happen when Microshit is spreading a FUD about how "better" their systems are -> by defending Microshit You're directly acting against GNU/Linux, Debian included.

Regards

ticojohn

#33 Post by ticojohn »

LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote: - hate is the most powerful weapon in the history of humanity.
Yeah, hate is powerful because it is destructive. The three most powerful forces employed by humans are hate, ignorance and arrogance. And none of those forces are actually useful in making the world a better place.

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#34 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

ticojohn wrote: 2021-07-13 12:37
LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote: - hate is the most powerful weapon in the history of humanity.
Yeah, hate is powerful because it is destructive. The three most powerful forces employed by humans are hate, ignorance and arrogance. And none of those forces are actually useful in making the world a better place.
It depends on what are Your targets - destruction can be usefull, and Microshit's EEE is just one of examples: it basically implements the idea that every competitive project has to be destroyed. Greed, hate, arrogance and ignorance - those are the four squares in the windows logo ...

We are living in a strange world, in which political correctness is a new approach to censorship -> be nice, don't express negative feelings - or You can be perceived as a "bad person", who unlike "standard people" don't want to collect a group of false "friends" on a facebook -> what by the way means that You're anti-social ... and You know what? - this works!

trinidad

#35 Post by trinidad »

by defending Microshit You're directly acting against GNU/Linux, Debian included
You are obviously and irrationally confused by your own hatred. I'm not defending Microsoft, but your obsessive hatred for their business practices makes you believe that I am. This is a Debian user forum and not some personal vent room for your hate damaged psyche. If you could write without the elevated rhetoric and simplistic repetition of things everyone here already knows you might get taken more seriously. My interest and experience is in cross platform solutions, and I am a pragmatist, so Microsoft is just a dull daily fact to me. I am not attacking Linux and/or Debian either just because I'm in a discussion that mentions Microsoft. I readily admit to preferring Debian for some time now, largely for its stability and simplicity. However I readily admit that in earlier versions I found the included "anarchy" discussion comically offensive, and the rendered out of context interpretation of Rousseau sophomoric. It didn't make me hate Debian as my interest in it was and is always pragmatic.
be nice, don't express negative feelings - or You can be perceived as a "bad person
Feel free to express all the negativity you want, but don't expect to be taken for anything other than a nuisance by me. Not a bad person... just a nuisance. Your posts are like reading baseball scores. No matter how many different web sites I access to find out the score... it's always the same.

TC
You can't believe your eyes if your imagination is out of focus.

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#36 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

^ Microshit's EEE have earned a Wiki page - apparently Wikipedia also obsessively hates the MS ;) - but You may of course call it just a "business practice" if You wish - You can even say that Microshit loves Linux so much, that they have created WSL... - that's the freedom of speech ;)

IMO (the "IMO" should be prepended to all the posts on all forums) if "everyone here already knows", then You shouldn't worry... -> Microshit, at least in theory, should be able to continue its "business practices", no matter what posts are added here in this meaningless thread ;)

wizard10000
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#37 Post by wizard10000 »

LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote: 2021-07-15 20:56- that's the freedom of speech ;)
And I'm done. Welcome to my killfile.

*plonk*

:)
we see things not as they are, but as we are.
-- anais nin

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#38 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

^ .. so, what is Your problem with the freedom of speech? - it would be interesting to hear this...
Do You realize that this is a public forum? Just by using your "killfile" (whatever this means) or the "plonk" <probably it's some kind of a keyword> You can't cause that this topic will magically disappear ;)

Regards.

ticojohn

#39 Post by ticojohn »

LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote: 2021-07-18 20:28 ^ .. so, what is Your problem with the freedom of speech? - it would be interesting to hear this...
Do You realize that this is a public forum? Just by using your "killfile" (whatever this means) or the "plonk" <probably it's some kind of a keyword> You can't cause that this topic will magically disappear ;)

Regards.
Do you really understand what the First Amendment says? It says "Congress shall make no law ... abridging the freedom of speech." Forums, websites, etc. can establish whatever rules of conduct they wish to, and that does not contradict the First Amendment. I, for one, would love to see public forums apply tighter restrictions on the crap that is spread in the name of Freedom of Speech. In my opinion so called Social Media (ie FaceBook, Twitter, etc) is truly Anti-Social Media and is the bane of human society.

donald
Debian Developer, Site Admin
Debian Developer, Site Admin

#40 Post by donald »

LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote: 2021-07-12 20:07 ...
{sic}[Out of thought processes for where the comments are homed.]

-Donald
Hi,

You don't have to like or agree with Microsoft or any other distribution, because well Linux is the best one right? However you can't trash talk, defeat message filters for profanity, or otherwise denigrate other software producers using these forums as your platform for your distaste. Microsoft, despite how you feel, has put its face forward and has been a sponsor for Debian Conferences and distribution. While you may not have been aware of that, now you are. You are also aware that you are welcome to take that behavior elsewhere.

Let's not use the moderation Warning system for this friendly reminder...but it's there ...

Edit: Looking into the reports function you've been flagged for this several times. So to show you how serious we are with this, this is your first warning toward an account lock and ban. Be nice or don't be here.
Typo perfectionish.

"The advice given above is all good, and just because a new message has appeared it does not mean that a problem has arisen, just that a new gremlin hiding in the hardware has been exposed." - FreewheelinFrank