Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

It's now a Black Screen of Death

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
wizard10000
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: It's now a Black Screen of Death

#61 Post by wizard10000 »

It is not Debian User Forums job to stop you from shooting your foot. If you so choose to do so, then it is Debian User Forums job to deliver Mr. Bullet to Mr Foot in the most efficient way it knows.

-- wizard10000
I'm really sorry, I couldn't resist. Gonna go sit down now :mrgreen:
we see things not as they are, but as we are.
-- anais nin

trinidad

#62 Post by trinidad »

Well Tommy, I'm not sure if you're the actor or the Assistant Professor, but if indeed the second, your anger with Microsoft seems to range away from your field of endeavour to me. Your field of expertise is certainly not American business, though you are entitled to your opinion regardless of whether or not it is tainted with an Eastern European upbringing. To some degree we are all tainted with our childhood roots... something I understand very well. In any case someone very dear to me is a PHD in bio-chemistry and genetics who has run two genetic research labs at American Universities. I have never known this person to grouse about Microsoft the way you do, so I must assume that your hatred is rooted in a bad experience with Microsoft corporate, or an unrealistic disdain for American politics and policies. I find it a bit disconcerting that you seem to be unaware of American progress in your own field, but that said perhaps you may find the following links informative.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/genomics/
https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/services/genomics/
https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/ ... -on-azure/
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/researc ... ost-recent

Microsoft does more than sell software to universities, but also contributes to research and funds researchers. Perhaps you would like to contribute to the research on this particular gene.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/gene?Db=ge ... Term=11152

I do wish you well, hoping and knowing you will grow away from unproductive pursuits.

TC
You can't believe your eyes if your imagination is out of focus.

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#63 Post by oswaldkelso »

↑ Put that machine gun down :wink:
Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#64 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

@donald: of course I have checked that You are a Debian developer before I wrote my previous post - that was just a little "game" - I just wanted to see what will happen - I'm sure that You know that human reactions are showing more than they would normally like to express. But actually, by saying this I'm trying to be honest regarding my intentions ;)

This how I see it:
Debian running in the Azure cloud, instead of having the cloud running on Debian, WSL eliminates the need of using Linux-based distributions (Debian included), DirectX on Linux instead of Vulcan and OpenGL, TPM - a useless, but a very intrusive extension to UEFI, Attacks on RMS and FSF, etc, and so on...

Then GitHub - a temple of open source projects - MS have turned it into a temple of fools - they have introduced the CLA, which basically means that every open source code contributed to GitHub projects forked by MS can be turned into a closed source without a warning, and the contributors have absolutely no rights to their code - but it seems that some naive fools are happy ...

Many of people who have replied in this topic are accusing me of hating Microsoft - but I'm just connecting the dots - and the final picture looks very bad, so I'm just afraid of what will happen with the open and free source software in the future. It looks like it will be mostly irrelevant - because today, even on Debian forums, MS trolls are allowed to walk freely.

Regards.
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed

donald
Debian Developer, Site Admin
Debian Developer, Site Admin

#65 Post by donald »

LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote: 2021-07-23 21:24 @donald: of course I have checked that You are a Debian developer before I wrote my previous post - that was just a little "game" - I just wanted to see what will happen - I'm sure that You know that human reactions are showing more than they would normally like to express. But actually, by saying this I'm trying to be honest regarding my intentions ;)

This how I see it:
Debian running in the Azure cloud, instead of having the cloud running on Debian, WSL eliminates the need of using Linux-based distributions (Debian included), DirectX on Linux instead of Vulcan and OpenGL, TPM - a useless, but a very intrusive extension to UEFI, Attacks on RMS and FSF, etc, and so on...

Then GitHub - a temple of open source projects - MS have turned it into a temple of fools - they have introduced the CLA, which basically means that every open source code contributed to GitHub projects forked by MS can be turned into a closed source without a warning, and the contributors have absolutely no rights to their code - but it seems that some naive fools are happy ...

Many of people who have replied in this topic are accusing me of hating Microsoft - but I'm just connecting the dots - and the final picture looks very bad, so I'm just afraid of what will happen with the open and free source software in the future. It looks like it will be mostly irrelevant - because today, even on Debian forums, MS trolls are allowed to walk freely.

Regards.

I think this thread has run off the cliff so I am going to close it.

I do want to point out that playing 'little games' with users is considered harassment and trolling. I'd advise against it, after all we are expanding the welcoming of our community, not setting up proving grounds.

Concurrently, here at the forums, we were working on a refresh of the forum guidelines which have been updated and which you can read here: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=149781

Please bear them in mind.

Lastly, I don't think Microsofts use of a CLA is a hill to fight on considering OpenStack, Google, Apache, Canonical, Apple and many others use the same agreement. My understanding is the CLAs work more toward guardianship rather than as vehicles for I.P./Code theft, but there is obviously a chorus of voices against the practice.

I'll leave this thread open for a few hours, if you desire the last word in it. Afterward it will be closed for further discussion.
Typo perfectionish.

"The advice given above is all good, and just because a new message has appeared it does not mean that a problem has arisen, just that a new gremlin hiding in the hardware has been exposed." - FreewheelinFrank

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#66 Post by steve_v »

LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote: 2021-07-23 21:24 Many of people who have replied in this topic are accusing me of hating Microsoft - but I'm just connecting the dots - and the final picture looks very bad, so I'm just afraid of what will happen with the open and free source software in the future.
Well, now that you're not presenting your arguments in the most abrasive and confrontational way possible... I agree. :lol:

History being what it is, I'm as sceptical of Microsoft's involvement in FOSS as I am of the current proliferation of COCs, CLAs, needless licence changes, and the not-so-subtle undermining of the direction and governance of various FOSS projects in general.
Microsoft spent decades being as damaging to FOSS and GNU/Linux as they could, and I for one am not going to just forget about it. One does not simply buy trust, no matter how much money you throw at it.

TBH it all smacks of political correctness police and corporate interference, neither of which have any place in free software development IMO. Especially the latter.
LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote: 2021-07-23 21:24even on Debian forums, MS trolls are allowed to walk freely.
Given that Microsoft is "sponsoring" development, I'm not surprised.
I don't like it much either, but flaming about it won't achieve anything here.
donald wrote: 2021-07-24 02:49 I don't think Microsofts use of a CLA is a hill to fight on considering OpenStack, Google, Apache, Canonical, Apple and many others use the same agreement.
"Everyone else is doing it" is, IMO, about the least convincing argument for anything.

The GNU GPL has served us well for decades, and suddenly big-corporate starts sponsoring important projects and buying up collaboration platforms, only to impose their own rules and push their own licencing... You don't find that at all suspicious or concerning?
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.