Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

It's now a Black Screen of Death

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

Re: It's now a Black Screen of Death

#41 Post by steve_v »

LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote: 2021-07-18 20:28...your "killfile" (whatever this means)
It's an old usenet term, judging by your previous posts I suspect you're too young to remember it.
LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote: 2021-07-18 20:28You can't cause that this topic will magically disappear
No, but he can take steps to not be subjected to your questionable contributions, or any further contributions from you at all... As will others if you keep on as you're going.

Look, I don't like Microsoft either, but constantly slagging them off in here (complete with wholly unnecessary language) is not going to get you anything but a ban. This is simply not an appropriate venue for your venting, if you want to swear at microsoft, try reddit or 4chan.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

trinidad

#42 Post by trinidad »

It is July, which is always a very bad month for me because of past personal losses, and perhaps I was a bit too unkind, but if you want to express your disdain for something it is probably a good idea to reasonably assess your audience. It is not that your criticism is inappropriate, only that here most people already have their reasons for disliking Microsoft's past business practices, and some may have even suffered substantially at their hands, so constantly harping on things like EEE is just blah blah blah, almost urban legend really. It is July and Gary Kildall died on July 11. Caldera's final settlement with Microsoft was paltry at a more accurately reported 280million given the cost and possible loss of innovation it was meant to assuage. Some underlying terms have never been completely disclosed but some insiders have intimated that future concessions were surrendered as well, though it is unlikely we will ever know what they were. On some fronts Microsoft is a strong advocate for consumer privacy while other seemingly more liberated institutions kick against it. Because a corporation is an impersonal identity it is sensible to vigilantly observe the business activities of such large entities but that is a venue suited to well funded organizations and national legal systems. Is there any hope for ethical improvement for Microsoft corporate? Probably, but only along certain lines within their already settled business model. Maybe Mr. Destiny could give us a do-over, or maybe things happen for a reason, or maybe... more likely so... we're all broken and in desperate need of repair. Maybe, had things gone the other way with Gary and IBM, computers would have taken over the world and destroyed humanity by now.

TC
You can't believe your eyes if your imagination is out of focus.

wizard10000
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#43 Post by wizard10000 »

steve_v wrote: 2021-07-20 05:56It's an old usenet term...
I don't like killfiling anybody so I unplonked him after an admin stepped in. Everybody deserves a second chance and I'm just gonna let the system work the way it's supposed to :)
we see things not as they are, but as we are.
-- anais nin

jakoline1

#44 Post by jakoline1 »

To LE_746F6D617A7A69:

I think you were wronged here. Also I would like to tell you that the paper you share in your signature titled "Why I hate Microsoft" by F.W. van wensveen has been very informative for me, it's exactly what I was looking for, a lengthy in-depth record for the forgotten history of Microsoft.

And in consolation, the view count for this topic is so far 3206, so when 5 people disagree that doesn't represent a census nor a survey.

ticojohn

#45 Post by ticojohn »

jakoline1 wrote: 2021-07-21 02:41 And in consolation, the view count for this topic is so far 3206, so when 5 people disagree that doesn't represent a census nor a survey.
It's not that people are in disagreement with the ideas that the poster presents, but how they are presented. In my opinion the posts are inflammatory, derisive towards others, and almost vulgar in content. None of that is necessary. And I personally find those posts to be rather degrading for this forum. It's a reflection of the overall trend of negativity, bias, and in many cases untruthful posting on social media (I call it anti-social media). People should be able to have a reasonable discourse without resorting to personal attacks and negativity.

Most of us here at this forum know full well the history of Microsoft, and that is why we moved from that OS to a Linux based OS. There isn't any need to constantly, and rudely, attack others simply because they don't agree with one's ranting.
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#46 Post by steve_v »

ticojohn wrote: 2021-07-21 18:45 It's not that people are in disagreement with the ideas that the poster presents, but how they are presented. In my opinion the posts are inflammatory, derisive towards others, and almost vulgar in content. None of that is necessary.
^^ This. Exactly this.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#47 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

donald wrote: 2021-07-19 13:47You don't have to like or agree with Microsoft or any other distribution, because well Linux is the best one right?
I've never mentioned any other distribution - Debian is my base OS. I do realize that Gnu/Linux is far from perfection - however, the difference is that I can control my OS, while MS users just can't.
donald wrote: 2021-07-19 13:47However you can't trash talk, defeat message filters for profanity, or otherwise denigrate other software producers using these forums as your platform for your distaste.
Why? Good product does not need to be defended, good products are just extending the capabilities of the users, and definitely, good products are not acting against their users...
donald wrote: 2021-07-19 13:47Microsoft, despite how you feel, has put its face forward and has been a sponsor for Debian Conferences and distribution. While you may not have been aware of that, now you are.
Seriously, I didn't know that - I'm not a Debian developer. If this is true, then You should ask Yourself *why* they are doing this - do You think that MS wants to switch to Linux? Did they offered free accounts for Office 365 for the participants? :LOL: Really? -> they are doing this for years, and every time it's the same method...
donald wrote: 2021-07-19 13:47 Edit: Looking into the reports function you've been flagged for this several times. So to show you how serious we are with this, this is your first warning toward an account lock and ban. Be nice or don't be here.
Well, You're the boss (it seems) - feel free to ban my account, but before You do this, it would be nice to see some explanation based on a facts, instead of bullshits.

Regards.

@jakoline1: thanks for Your post.
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed

donald
Debian Developer, Site Admin

#48 Post by donald »

LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote: 2021-07-21 21:16
donald wrote: 2021-07-19 13:47You don't have to like or agree with Microsoft or any other distribution, because well Linux is the best one right?
I've never mentioned any other distribution - Debian is my base OS. I do realize that Gnu/Linux is far from perfection - however, the difference is that I can control my OS, while MS users just can't.
donald wrote: 2021-07-19 13:47However you can't trash talk, defeat message filters for profanity, or otherwise denigrate other software producers using these forums as your platform for your distaste.
Why? Good product does not need to be defended, good products are just extending the capabilities of the users, and definitely, good products are not acting against their users...
donald wrote: 2021-07-19 13:47Microsoft, despite how you feel, has put its face forward and has been a sponsor for Debian Conferences and distribution. While you may not have been aware of that, now you are.
Seriously, I didn't know that - I'm not a Debian developer. If this is true, then You should ask Yourself *why* they are doing this - do You think that MS wants to switch to Linux? Did they offered free accounts for Office 365 for the participants? :LOL: Really? -> they are doing this for years, and every time it's the same method...
donald wrote: 2021-07-19 13:47 Edit: Looking into the reports function you've been flagged for this several times. So to show you how serious we are with this, this is your first warning toward an account lock and ban. Be nice or don't be here.
Well, You're the boss (it seems) - feel free to ban my account, but before You do this, it would be nice to see some explanation based on a facts, instead of bullshits.

Regards.

@jakoline1: thanks for Your post.

I'll give you the courtesy of a reply, but mainly to tell you to re-read the forum rules: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=10653.

You have a history of Microsoft hatred, we get it. We can see the links to a pdf subject of IHateMS.pdf in your signature, your signature also points to a thread you authored where you cursed in it 15 times.

All in all it's a bit much. We're asking to to tone it down, and also slow your quickness to flame other users....again this is all based off your history of posting here.

We (you and I) don't need to discuss or debate this at all. All you need to do is tone it down, stop using profanities, stop engaging other posters just to argue with them, and provide some content or nice comments once in a while. If you can't do that and contribute something positive to the forums then go elsewhere. And before you chime that awareness of the ills and evils of another software producer is activism or awareness for the unknown, most people in the F/OSS community are well aware of where Microsoft came from, their history, and their past behavior....and if not those users can simply browse your old posts :D.

So let's move on.
Typo perfectionish.

"The advice given above is all good, and just because a new message has appeared it does not mean that a problem has arisen, just that a new gremlin hiding in the hardware has been exposed." - FreewheelinFrank

stevepusser

#49 Post by stevepusser »

(peeks out from bunker)

Now I'm hesitant to mention that Microsoft has quietly released its own Linux distro. :!:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/micro ... nux-distro
MX Linux packager and developer

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#50 Post by sunrat »

stevepusser wrote: 2021-07-22 00:08 (peeks out from bunker)

Now I'm hesitant to mention that Microsoft has quietly released its own Linux distro. :!:

Wonder if they ported BSOD to it? :mrgreen: Just to stay on topic.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

donald

#51 Post by donald »

Banned! :)

sunrat wrote: 2021-07-22 00:26

I did LOL, but ... Banned! :)

We should be able to have a little fun. :D @stevepusser I think that news is thread worthy. I didn't realize they were doing that, from the article it makes sense from a cloud perspective....wonder what lies ahead with it though and if they are trying to position themselves like RedHat once was with Linux.
Typo perfectionish.

"The advice given above is all good, and just because a new message has appeared it does not mean that a problem has arisen, just that a new gremlin hiding in the hardware has been exposed." - FreewheelinFrank

ticojohn

#52 Post by ticojohn »

I read that they developed their own distro mainly to use on their own servers, not necessarily to release to the public. I may have misunderstood what I read, but that was my impression. Kind of makes this Linux OS user feel good that Microsoft would use Linux over Microsoft for their own servers. Go Linux!

ticojohn

#53 Post by ticojohn »

sunrat wrote: 2021-07-22 00:26
That would be keeping with their tradition. :lol:

trinidad

#54 Post by trinidad »

I received a copyright warning for the bottom half of this page.

https://www.dbts-analytics.com/ll5dsktpimag.html

I guess they thought Linux Lite was running ahead of them.

https://www.redhat.com/en/partners/microsoft

TC

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#55 Post by 4D696B65 »

Code: Select all

This video can't play due to privacy settings
To change your settings, select the "Cookie Preferences" link in the footer and opt in to "Advertising Cookies."
Great start to Microsoft Linux

wizard10000
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#56 Post by wizard10000 »

stevepusser wrote: 2021-07-22 00:08(peeks out from bunker)

Did y'all really think they didn't have their own distribution?

I have a pretty good story about getting the stinkeye from Steve Ballmer once.

I worked with MS in an official unofficial capacity for a couple of years as a Microsoft MVP in desktop operating systems. An MVP is an expert in some MS product that gives knowledge to the community and it's a pretty high honor. Was also one of the core 500 beta testers for Microsoft Games and participated in one hardware beta for their Intellimouse - the prototype was a regular MS mouse with a couple of big square buttons cobbled onto the thing. Unwieldy but it was a prototype :)

Back when I was an MVP there were only 600 of them worldwide (there are over 4000 now) and MS threw a shindig in Redmond for MVPs every year. MS picked up the hotel and meals and I convinced my employer to buy me a plane ticket and a rental car.

This was prior to the WinXP launch (yeah, I'm old) and there was a presentation on Windows Product Activation that was inflicted on the masses starting with WinXP. Question time comes and I raise my hand and ask this question:

"Since the price of piracy is already factored into Microsoft products is MS gonna lower the price of Windows since those previously pirated copies are all now pure profit?"

This question got a "We haven't set the price of Windows" from the podium and a dirty look from Steve :mrgreen:

I quit paying the Windows tax in 2008. I still work in Windows but live in Linux :)

edit: I still Windows well enough to put my favorite applications on a right-click desktop menu just like openbox. You just have to know where in the registry to put the launchers :)
we see things not as they are, but as we are.
-- anais nin

trinidad

#57 Post by trinidad »

yeah, I'm old
Me too... but the way the world is going these days old is definitely the new young. My cousin was on campus for long time up there, and about lost it completely when Windows 8 was released. The place and the OS was a mess then, and even calling it a beta or dev was a running joke.

TC

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#58 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

donald wrote: 2021-07-19 13:47 (...)
Microsoft, despite how you feel, has put its face forward and has been a sponsor for Debian Conferences and distribution. While you may not have been aware of that, now you are.
While risking to be banned, I want to repeat my question about MS sponsoring the DebConf, Mr donald:
The registry of DebConf is available here:
https://www.debconf.org/

Each of the Debian Conferences in the list (2016..2021 - last 5 years) provides a list of sponsors, and in any case the Microsoft is *NOT* is listed as a sponsor.
So it looks like You, as the "Debian Developer", don't know who is paying for Your beer.

F.e. the DebConf'2021 lists the following sponsors: (What is significant, GitLab is listed, but GitHub is not)
https://debconf21.debconf.org/ - Microsoft is missing on the list.

My real name is Tomasz Pawlak (already revealed on this forums - e.g. in the HowTo section). I would like to see Your real name, so I could check if You're really a Debian developer - You know, lies are lowering the level of trust.

Regards
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed

donald

#59 Post by donald »

LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote: 2021-07-22 21:20
donald wrote: 2021-07-19 13:47 (...)
Microsoft, despite how you feel, has put its face forward and has been a sponsor for Debian Conferences and distribution. While you may not have been aware of that, now you are.
While risking to be banned, I want to repeat my question about MS sponsoring the DebConf, Mr donald:
The registry of DebConf is available here:
https://www.debconf.org/

Each of the Debian Conferences in the list (2016..2021 - last 5 years) provides a list of sponsors, and in any case the Microsoft is *NOT* is listed as a sponsor.
So it looks like You, as the "Debian Developer", don't know who is paying for Your beer.
If you follow your own links, like such: https://www.debconf.org/ >>> scroll down to https://debconf16.debconf.org/ >> you will land on Debconf16's official webpage >>> click on sponsors >> it still shows Microsoft at the silver level of sponsorship >>>: https://debconf16.debconf.org/sponsors/

The April 7, 2016 Twitter announcement shows it: https://twitter.com/DebConf/status/718143998066429952

I ... am one of the admins for the Debian and Debconf twitter feeds: https://twitter.com/DebConf & https://twitter.com/debian and most likely checked the feed to ensure the news went out.

Here in the official project newsletter issue where we mention another Microsoft Linux contribution: https://www.debian.org/News/weekly/2016/02/ (2016) (look at the authors)

An earlier official project newsletter issue talks about Microsoft adding Debian to its Azure cloud images and its endorsement of Debian (2015): https://lists.debian.org/debian-news/2016/msg00000.html (look at the authors)

The announcement referenced above (2015): https://azure.microsoft.com/ja-jp/blog/ ... -on-azure/
LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote: 2021-07-22 21:20 F.e. the DebConf'2021 lists the following sponsors: (What is significant, GitLab is listed, but GitHub is not)
https://debconf21.debconf.org/ - Microsoft is missing on the list.
I am unsure if they are sponsoring #DebConf21, it would not be relevant here in either case.
LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote: 2021-07-22 21:20 My real name is Tomasz Pawlak (already revealed on this forums - e.g. in the HowTo section). I would like to see Your real name, so I could check if You're really a Debian developer - You know, lies are lowering the level of trust.

Regards
If you check the most recent forum announcement (viewtopic.php?f=12&t=149632) regarding recent administrative changes, server updates, and software updates you will see listed the 3 Debian Developers who have joined the forums to undertake that work, I'm listed there. You can also press the contact button in my profile which reveals my @debian.org email address, if you wish send me a signed message and I will respond with my signed key. I suppose you could also just look at the same avatar/name/info that is duplicated on Twitter, here, salsa, official Debian contact points, ... etc.

Again I'd suggest that you re-read the forum guidlines: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=10653, we are about to update them but I feel comfortable in applying them here.

I am also comfortable letting you know that I consider your behavior disruptive, non productive, and unwelcome. I really do not want to over-admin this thread, or lock it, or ban you, or give you another account warning, so I strongly urge you to contribute in a productive manner to the forums so that you, all of our fellow members, and I can enjoy the forums as a great repository of knowledge and community of users.
Typo perfectionish.

ticojohn

#60 Post by ticojohn »

I was going to comment about recent posts here, but after calming down I realized that anything I could say would be pretty counter productive. There are people with such enlarged egos that they simply can't admit to being wrong, nor will they ever apologize for their disruptive and in some cases specious behavior. And the sad thing is that this type of behavior is becoming way too common everywhere in the world. The lack of civility in the world, especially on social media sites, is truly disturbing.