Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Uptime Championships - Current champion: Bloom with a router at 965 days.

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.

Fossy
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

Re: Uptime Championships - Current champion: Donald (cheating with a switch)

#22 Post by Fossy »

Workstation Statistics for \\
Statistics since circa 2013
Bytes received : 0,000
Server Message Blocks ( SMBs ) received : 0,000
Bytes transmitted : 0,000
Read operations : 0,000
Use count : 0,000
Host Name : vanished in 2013
OS Name : Microsoft Windows
OS Manufacturer : Microsoft Corporation
:D
Last edited by Fossy on 2021-12-24 12:51, edited 1 time in total.
ASUS GL753VD / X550LD / K54HR / X751LAB ( x2 )
Bookworm12.5_Cinnamon / Calamares Single Boot installations
Firefox ESR / DuckDuckGo / Thunderbird / LibreOffice / GIMP / eID Software

https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/cu ... so-hybrid/

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#23 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

Code: Select all

tomazzi@embeddeb-01 ~ $ uname -a && uptime
Linux embeddeb-01 4.1.19+ #858 Tue Mar 15 15:52:03 GMT 2016 armv6l GNU/Linux
 22:26:35 up 472 days, 10:48,  1 user,  load average: 0.58, 0.59, 0.59
ARMv6L BCM2835 RaspberryPi, never turned off since 2016 (battery-backed power supply), rebooted 3 times in the history because of configuration changes. It controls my boiler room, mainly furnace parameters ;)
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed

Bloom
df -h | grep > 90TiB
df -h | grep > 90TiB

#24 Post by Bloom »

I have a Fritz!Box router which also runs Linux. Its webinterface says

Active for 965 days, 20 hours, 40 minutes
I hadn't thought about this one before. I only checked my servers.

donald
Debian Developer, Site Admin
Debian Developer, Site Admin

Re: Uptime Championships - Current champion: Bloom with a router at 965 days.

#25 Post by donald »

This is just a subtle brag thread, I know that it is in offtopic but a few posts in this thread are starting to derail from the uptime champion and their glory ...
Thusly, the New Router/Randomware/WTF are you doing with the setup thread is located here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=151055
Typo perfectionish.

"The advice given above is all good, and just because a new message has appeared it does not mean that a problem has arisen, just that a new gremlin hiding in the hardware has been exposed." - FreewheelinFrank

Marie SWE

#26 Post by Marie SWE »

I forgot my laptop as I use as a printerserver

Windows XP home sp3
runtime 1322 days and 12 hours and counting

I am soooo sorry as it is a windows laptop. :oops: sorry everyone :oops: But someone posted a switch, so I hope a oooold windows XP laptop is okay :D
uptime.JPG
uptime.JPG (147.08 KiB) Viewed 9305 times
Why make things complicated in life, if you can make it easier for yourself... Do it. ;o)
You only have one life, so make the most of it and enjoy it while you can.

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#27 Post by steve_v »

While it is probably just harmless fun, I'm really not convinced that high continuous uptime numbers confer any kind of bragging rights.
Ye olde Windows XP above is a perfect example of why - systems running obsolete (and likely insecure) operating systems are naturally going to dominate, by simple virtue of no longer receiving updates and therefore not requiring reboots for kernel upgrades. That and isolated special-purpose hardware that never had any kind of update to begin with.
I mean, I know where there is a gas analyser running PC-DOS that likely hasn't been shut down in 10 years, but even if it had an uptime counter, what would be the point in posting it? Nobody did anything to make that happen beyond plugging the thing in and forgetting about it.

At best, continuous uptime is just a sideways way of saying "I have an UPS and my hardware is reliable". At worst, it's admitting to still running obsolete, unmaintained software... Something no competent sysadmin should be proud of except under pretty exceptional circumstances.

IMO something like tuptime's "System uptime" percentage, or (inverted) "Largest downtime" counters would be far more meaningful indicators of service availability.
Effectively scheduling maintenance downtime is a skill, plugging a box in and forgetting about it for years is... something else entirely.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#28 Post by sunrat »

steve_v wrote: 2022-03-20 08:39 While it is probably just harmless fun, I'm really not convinced that high continuous uptime numbers confer any kind of bragging rights.
Absolutely it's harmless fun and it's true a print server or router doing one job should be expected to have no downtime.
More important to me and likely most other people using a computer for everyday work with multiple applications is time since last crash. I rarely have uptime longer than a couple of weeks as I multiboot for some different tasks, but I don't recall ever having a crash in Bullseye.
I did encounter a weird issue the other day where my wireless mouse/keyboard wouldn't work at bootup when a certain external drive was plugged in. Was tearing my hair out for minutes! :lol:
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#29 Post by steve_v »

sunrat wrote: 2022-03-20 10:15router doing one job should be expected to have no downtime.
And thus an IoT botnet is born. :P
Frankly I'd consider an (intenet-facing) router/firewall to be among the most critical devices of all to regularly update. Less so for internal network routers perhaps, but even then the era of always-on immutable-firmware network appliances is pretty much over.
Even something as innocuous as a router or switch is quite likely running a full-blown general-purpose OS these days, with all the potential security concerns that entails.

From a home-user perspective, my own primary router/firewall currently has an uptime of somewhere around 6 days... Because dirty-pipe and the kernel update that required.
Now I could have skipped that fix, since a router doesn't really have local users, but why would I for the sake of ~60 seconds of properly scheduled downtime?
sunrat wrote: 2022-03-20 10:15I don't recall ever having a crash in Bullseye.
TBH I haven't seen a *nix box crash properly in years. I've certainly had to restart X on my bleeding-edge Gentoo desktop a few times, but even there I haven't encountered anything needing an actual hard reset since I installed it. It does get rebooted semi regularly anyway of course, because aforementioned kernel updates.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

Marie SWE

#30 Post by Marie SWE »

steve_v wrote: 2022-03-20 08:39 While it is probably just harmless fun, I'm really not convinced that high continuous uptime numbers confer any kind of bragging rights.
Ye olde Windows XP above is a perfect example of why - systems running obsolete (and likely insecure) operating systems are naturally going to dominate, by simple virtue of no longer receiving updates and therefore not requiring reboots for kernel upgrades. That and isolated special-purpose hardware that never had any kind of update to begin with.
I mean, I know where there is a gas analyser running PC-DOS that likely hasn't been shut down in 10 years, but even if it had an uptime counter, what would be the point in posting it? Nobody did anything to make that happen beyond plugging the thing in and forgetting about it.

At best, continuous uptime is just a sideways way of saying "I have an UPS and my hardware is reliable". At worst, it's admitting to still running obsolete, unmaintained software... Something no competent sysadmin should be proud of except under pretty exceptional circumstances.

IMO something like tuptime's "System uptime" percentage, or (inverted) "Largest downtime" counters would be far more meaningful indicators of service availability.
Effectively scheduling maintenance downtime is a skill, plugging a box in and forgetting about it for years is... something else entirely.
I didn't start the thread, I just joining in. :mrgreen:
Of course, I also understand that this thread is just for fun. :wink:

Probably everyone in here understands that outdated systems is always a risk if you have them connected to internet.
When it comes to my old dear XP laptop that got continued life as a print server, it is pretty secured.
1. It doesn't have access to the internet, only to a sub lan.
2. I have patched all the classic security holes and disabled all unnecessary services etc. that aren't needed to a print server.
You can never get a windows computer to run stable year after year without tweaking the system.. windows out of the box is made by M$ to crash by design. :roll:
3. It has a software firewall that is strictly configured to only allow three of my computers and to block all in and out as default value.
One computer is an offline win7 computer I only have for photoshop and mirosoft exel jobs. One win8 laptop that is strictly to pay my bills and bank transfers. and last, this Debian computer.

So why a laptop as a printerserver... it's small and it has a builtin UPS :)

8) But you have a point.. an outdated system is always a risk, and a extreme one if they don't know what they are doing.. but not to forget, a 100% updated system has a small risk as well.. it's not named zerodays exploits/virus for nothing.
Why make things complicated in life, if you can make it easier for yourself... Do it. ;o)

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#31 Post by steve_v »

Marie SWE wrote: 2022-03-20 14:14You can never get a windows computer to run stable year after year without tweaking the system.. windows out of the box is made by M$ to crash by design. :roll:
IME XP isn't too bad in that respect, at least in near out-of-box condition. It's Microsoft's architectural decision to allow third party software and drivers to do whatever the hell they like without any real package management that leads to the infamous Winstability.
The whole "Windows Certified" thing was an attempt to address this, but still, you're only ever one flaky printer driver or orphan registry key away from bringing down the whole system.
Marie SWE wrote: 2022-03-20 14:14an outdated system is always a risk, and a extreme one if they don't know what they are doing.. but not to forget, a 100% updated system has a small risk as well.. it's not named zerodays exploits/virus for nothing.
Indeed. The major difference is that a current system does get fixes for those zero-days, usually fairly quickly. Something like XP contains serious vulnerabilities that will never be fixed, and is inherently unsafe to expose to the internet or even an untrusted LAN.

If you know what you're doing, such a machine is still usable in a limited and tightly controlled role of course (I have to deal with XP-based machine controls in my day job *shudder*)... Just don't forget about it or put it in a position where an unrelated change (say, reconfiguring an upstream switch or firewall) might expose it to an untrusted network.

As for your print server... Debian can do that as well ya know ;) Unix invented print servers before windows was even a nasty twitch in Bill's eye.

Marie SWE

#32 Post by Marie SWE »

steve_v wrote: 2022-03-20 14:35
Marie SWE wrote: 2022-03-20 14:14You can never get a windows computer to run stable year after year without tweaking the system.. windows out of the box is made by M$ to crash by design. :roll:
IME XP isn't too bad in that respect, at least in near out-of-box condition. It's Microsoft's architectural decision to allow third party software and drivers to do whatever the hell they like without any real package management that leads to the infamous Winstability.
The whole "Windows Certified" thing was an attempt to address this, but still, you're only ever one flaky printer driver or orphan registry key away from bringing down the whole system.
win2000 was/is my favorite windows. and win98se was just fun. :mrgreen:
:roll: mmmm..... win third party drivers, you just love them.................... not :lol:
I use to.. or still doing today, I choose my hardware for what the operating system supports with its own drivers as far as possible.

steve_v wrote: 2022-03-20 14:35
Marie SWE wrote: 2022-03-20 14:14an outdated system is always a risk, and a extreme one if they don't know what they are doing.. but not to forget, a 100% updated system has a small risk as well.. it's not named zerodays exploits/virus for nothing.
Indeed. The major difference is that a current system does get fixes for those zero-days, usually fairly quickly. Something like XP contains serious vulnerabilities that will never be fixed, and is inherently unsafe to expose to the internet or even an untrusted LAN.

If you know what you're doing, such a machine is still usable in a limited and tightly controlled role of course (I have to deal with XP-based machine controls in my day job *shudder*)... Just don't forget about it or put it in a position where an unrelated change (say, reconfiguring an upstream switch or firewall) might expose it to an untrusted network.

As for your print server... Debian can do that as well ya know ;) Unix invented print servers before windows was even a nasty twitch in Bill's eye.
you maybe saw my post in another thread yesterday, where I wrote a bit about my knowledge. so yes I feel with you, it still exists XP based machines here in Sweden also... but lucky me, i don't work with it-systems any more. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
the downside is i have to pay for my own hardware now days.. and Cisco systems isn't the cheapest ones :shock: But i have one more year before EOL on my firewall and after that I am going to switch over to pfSence

Debian as printerserver.. unfortunately not.. :oops: as far i know Debian doesn't support drivers to my 25+ year old laser printer and as long as it works, there is no need to replace it. And my old laptop Aspire1300 with 384MB Ram and IDE HDD and debian... I think that can be a really hairy challenge :lol:

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#33 Post by steve_v »

Marie SWE wrote: 2022-03-20 15:59my old laptop Aspire1300 with 384MB Ram and IDE HDD and debian... I think that can be a really hairy challenge :lol:
You'd probably be surprised. Hardware requirements for CLI-only GNU/Linux, even modern distros, are pretty light. Current GUIs are kinda bloated, but then something like a print server (or any server really) doesn't need one anyway.

I have a Pentium 233MMX with 128MB sitting on my desk right now, running Devuan Jessie (among other things). It performs just fine. Total memory consumption is about 40MB with some basic network services.
It'd run current Debian too, if Debian hadn't decided to drop support for i586 a couple of years back for some unfathomable reason. :roll:
When I find the motivation I'll probably put Gentoo on it with my main desktop as a binhost, so I can have something that's not 4 years old and is properly optimised for the architecture.

Aside, if anyone knows of a general-purpose binary distro that isn't Slackware, has a reasonable selection of software in its repos, and will run on a CPU that lacks CMOV, I'm still looking...

Marie SWE

#34 Post by Marie SWE »

steve_v wrote: 2022-03-21 01:59
Marie SWE wrote: 2022-03-20 15:59my old laptop Aspire1300 with 384MB Ram and IDE HDD and debian... I think that can be a really hairy challenge :lol:
You'd probably be surprised. Hardware requirements for CLI-only GNU/Linux, even modern distros, are pretty light. Current GUIs are kinda bloated, but then something like a print server (or any server really) doesn't need one anyway.

I have a Pentium 233MMX with 128MB sitting on my desk right now, running Devuan Jessie (among other things). It performs just fine. Total memory consumption is about 40MB with some basic network services.
It'd run current Debian too, if Debian hadn't decided to drop support for i586 a couple of years back for some unfathomable reason. :roll:
When I find the motivation I'll probably put Gentoo on it with my main desktop as a binhost, so I can have something that's not 4 years old and is properly optimised for the architecture.

Aside, if anyone knows of a general-purpose binary distro that isn't Slackware, has a reasonable selection of software in its repos, and will run on a CPU that lacks CMOV, I'm still looking...
I am sooooo not ready to go Linux CLI only yet.... i need my dear GUIs.. oh my precious GUI.. We wants it, we needs it.. Must have the precious GUI. :twisted:
(Gollum in Lord of the rings) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I don't want to write to much offtopic in this thread. But impressive with a 233MMX :mrgreen:

I just started a thread as it is time for me to step up from debian 10 to 11.. and I know you are a pretty good guru on linux :wink: so please check out my thread if you want. :D

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#35 Post by steve_v »

Marie SWE wrote: 2022-03-21 02:42I am sooooo not ready to go Linux CLI only yet.... i need my dear GUIs.
The only way to find out if you can fly is to jump... :twisted:
I'm comfortable in a CLI-only environment simply because when I started out with GNU/Linux it was the only reasonable option (486 with 24MB RAM). If you put yourself in the position of needing to get stuff done without the GUI option, you learn how pretty quickly. Old hardware is the perfect opportunity.
Marie SWE wrote: 2022-03-21 02:42Gollum in Lord of the rings
...Degenerated into the sad, twisted creature he was through the corrupting influence of an evil GUI? :P
Marie SWE wrote: 2022-03-21 02:42I don't want to write to much offtopic in this thread.
Meh, you're probably right. It's not like it's cluttering a real support thread though, the mods will split it if it gets too annoying.

Marie SWE

#36 Post by Marie SWE »

steve_v wrote: 2022-03-21 03:22
Marie SWE wrote: 2022-03-21 02:42I am sooooo not ready to go Linux CLI only yet.... i need my dear GUIs.
The only way to find out if you can fly is to jump... :twisted:
I'm comfortable in a CLI-only environment simply because when I started out with GNU/Linux it was the only reasonable option (486 with 24MB RAM). If you put yourself in the position of needing to get stuff done without the GUI option, you learn how pretty quickly. Old hardware is the perfect opportunity.
Marie SWE wrote: 2022-03-21 02:42Gollum in Lord of the rings
...Degenerated into the sad, twisted creature he was through the corrupting influence of an evil GUI? :P
Marie SWE wrote: 2022-03-21 02:42I don't want to write to much offtopic in this thread.
Meh, you're probably right. It's not like it's cluttering a real support thread though, the mods will split it if it gets too annoying.
you say.. jump.... mmmm.... noooo... my nose doesn't want to meet the pavement in full impact, so I think I will skip it for now. :lol: I think I will keep my GUI-parachute for a while longer. :wink:
True, it is as with language.. you learn it faster if you live in that country. But my patience has a limit before the computers life gets in a bit dangerous zone :oops:

yes, but the movie is good. :D

We can always thrash my threads :wink: as I can decide whats is okay to go waaay offtopic on in them. :mrgreen: :twisted: :mrgreen:

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#37 Post by Hallvor »

Marie SWE wrote: 2022-03-21 02:42 I am sooooo not ready to go Linux CLI only yet.... i need my dear GUIs..
The CLI has grown on me over the years: Learn once, use forever. I set up a Raspberry pi 2 with Debian and (headless) transmission-cli yesterday (retiring my Raspberry pi 1 with 256MB of RAM, running day and night for a decade). It took something like 15 minutes to get the system ready, from the moment I unpacked the MicroSD.

Oh, yes, back on topic: :lol:
transmission@rpi2-20220121:~$ uptime
08:15:18 up 14:44, 1 user, load average: 0.67, 0.63, 0.57
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

Marie SWE

#38 Post by Marie SWE »

Hallvor wrote: 2022-03-24 08:16
Marie SWE wrote: 2022-03-21 02:42 I am sooooo not ready to go Linux CLI only yet.... i need my dear GUIs..
The CLI has grown on me over the years: Learn once, use forever. I set up a Raspberry pi 2 with Debian and (headless) transmission-cli yesterday (retiring my Raspberry pi 1 with 256MB of RAM, running day and night for a decade). It took something like 15 minutes to get the system ready, from the moment I unpacked the MicroSD.

Oh, yes, back on topic: :lol:
Okay :D CLI is not my cup of tea... yet... but with more time it probably will. :wink:
When i started with computers in the late 80s and up to the late 90s, then I could spend up to 30 hours straight just because it was interesting, fun and challenging. :P
But after I started working with computers in the late 90s, the interest just died and I started to see computers just as a tool. The fun was gone.
Today I just want to spend a few minutes for maintenance ones a month and when it comes to installations, maximum of once every 5 to 10 years.
and since I use multiple computers as main rig, so if one computer goes down, I don't have to jump in and fix it in panic mode, I just switch over my KVM-switches and use the others. But now it is almost panic mode.. two of four is down :shock:
So my advice to all the people on earth is...
If you have a burning interest for a hobby(whatever it may be) and loves to spend time with it. Think hard, five or ten times if you really are going to make it in to a profession. It will most likely fade out with time. (exceptions is just what makes the rules. Sad but true)

So it will probably take me a little longer to learn linux as the "fun-motivation" is dead.
:mrgreen: But with time and patient I will get there in the end.... yes, and with CLI too. :wink:

Yes.. back to topic.. :mrgreen: I think the administrators may have to clean up all the offtopic in this thread a little later. 8)
what is this quote? is it the the new Pi
I do hope my print server gets allowed into the competition.

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#39 Post by Hallvor »

Marie SWE wrote: 2022-03-24 16:24
what is this quote? is it the the new Pi
I do hope my print server gets allowed into the competition.
Yes, it's the Raspberry Pi 2 that I mentioned above, running Debian Bullseye. Four times the speed, four times the RAM, and four times the storage is quite an improvement, even if the hardware is very modest.

It looks like it's free for all in this thread, so bring it on.
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#40 Post by CwF »

I'm disappointed...
A year ago yesterday a small white miscellaneous sedan slid sideways into the power pole. It drove off, with a sharp divot in the pole. The pole needed changed, I helped with lighting. The power was cut for about 5 hours, I shut down.
Almost to the anniversary another mysterious vehicle challenged the pole. I heard it coming, heard it hit, heard it keep going. I saw nothing. But noticed the top of the pole bobbing around. It took my mind a few seconds to recognize the strange motion was because the pole was missing a 10' section from right above grade and was supported only by the wires. Amazing. Whatever it was didn't damage the pole, it went right through it. I would have paid to see that.

Since I always think of the odd implications of things I thought of one server that had not been rebooted since the last pole replacement. I was really looking forward to finding out if the --pretty option listed years. Well, the job was done live, so I got my chance, and I have bad news.

:~$ uptime -p
up 6 hours, 20 minutes
:~$ uptime
 07:22:29 up 364 days,  6:20,  3 users,  load average: 0.91, 1.01, 0.87