Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

What does your REAL desktop look like?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

What does your REAL desktop look like?

#1 Post by Hallvor »

Inspired by the "what does your desktop look like"-thread and bester69's post about his desk, I'm inviting you to post an image of your physical desktop.

Mine is usually covered with papers, but I threw most of it away when the vacation started. ;)

[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

craigevil

Re: What does your REAL desktop look like?

#2 Post by craigevil »

My PI400 desk:
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#3 Post by cds60601 »

Nice @craigevil I gave a serious look at that device but ended up getting the Pi4.
Working great - just no sound on my setup using the Debian image.
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by CwF »

I took a pic, but it got redacted.

bester69

#5 Post by bester69 »

Thanks mate, This should be a hot topic, Im gonna love it 8)

Image Image

Image Image

14 cm Platform + Usb-hub + Mini usb backlit keybooard + usb mouse + usb headset
+ background wifi lamp light to minimum

Please!!! dont be shy portals and post!! :mrgreen:
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

#6 Post by arochester »

I don't know.

My desk is black. My computers are black. My monitors, unless switched on, are black. My keyboard and mouse are black. My speakers are black. My headphones are black. One of my printers is predominantly black...

Will it photograph? Or just be ... BLACK?

I compute using "junk". From thrift shops, repairs I have done, Ebay ...

My latest acquisition is a tower computer from a place which does house clearances. They might know furniture and charge accordingly, but they don't know computers. I recognised USB3 connections and HDMI. I paid £30 - just over $40. When I got it home and opened it, it had 1Tb HDD and 250Gb SDD. Removed Windows 10 Professional and installed Linux. Very clean.

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#7 Post by oswaldkelso »

After I tidied it up a bit removing all the nuts bolts, tech bits, empty whisky bottles and other detritus that usually adorn it.
Like arochester most of my stuff is old. The IBM X60 and Dell inspiron 14 years old the Hannspree 12 years old and the Dell Latitude 540 10 year old

Top screen is my Dell inspiron 530. Slackware/Free-nix no KDE
Dual screen my main machine. Dell Latitude 540 Dragora 2 Love it but way to old
Right is my X60 freedombox
and at the front my Hannspree atom netbook currently running Antix

other stuff all works with free software.
Wacom CTE-640 [Graphire4 (6x8)]

sound:usb mics
Asahi Kasei Microsystems AK5370 I/F A/D Converter (Very good)
C-Media Electronics Anua Mic CM 900 (Excellent)

webcam:
Sonix Technology Co.Ltd, Microdia USB Live camera

Last edited by oswaldkelso on 2022-05-19 11:04, edited 2 times in total.
Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian

bester69

#8 Post by bester69 »

oswaldkelso wrote: 2021-08-12 16:15 After I tidied it up a bit removing all the nuts bolts, tech bits, empty whisky bottles and other detritus that usually adorn it.
Like arochester most of my stuff is old. The IBM X60 and Dell inspiron 14 years old the Hannspree 12 years old and the Dell Latitude 540 10 year old

Top screen is my Dell inspiron 530. Slackware/Free-nix no KDE
Dual screen my main machine. Dell Latitude 540 Dragora 2 Love it but way to old
Right is my X60 freedombox
and at the front my Hannspree atom netbook currently running Antix

other stuff all works with free software.
Wacom CTE-640 [Graphire4 (6x8)]

sound:usb mics
Asahi Kasei Microsystems AK5370 I/F A/D Converter (Very good)
C-Media Electronics Anua Mic CM 900 (Excellent)

webcam:
Sonix Technology Co.Ltd, Microdia USB Live camera

full image
So, cool, that is like a 1940's bomb shelter station :o love it
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#9 Post by oswaldkelso »

So, cool, that is like a 1940's bomb shelter station :o love it
Lol

Not sure about shelter. It gets called a bomb site quite often. I've had "Wow a real man cave" a few times, but I just call it the office :wink:

Here's the other side.

Desk is steel circa 1960-70s
From the left
Storage 15TB. Bought.
Brother MFC printer saved from landfill.
On top of the printer is an old Belkin router converted to a network switch fed via a "home plug"
PC atom shuttle XPC XS36V found in a machine that was being scrapped on a job. It's fan-less and quite low energy use so re-purposed as a torrent/media box. Runs 24/7 running Hyperbola.
TV saved from landfill. Used as a monitor for the XS36V so mostly off.
USB stick Microphone. Asahi Kasei Microsystems AK5370 I/F A/D Converter branded as a logitech (good, but not as good as the other that was branded Andrea USB NC-7100. As that one was a headset so the sound level was more consistent). Bought.
Apple PPC G5 imac running Debian badly (PPC play thing) Just bought some rw-dvd disks to try some other distros on it. Booting it from USB via open-firmware is a black art. Saved from landfill.
A couple of Dell monitors saved from landfill, used when testing or to expand the screen size of the net books,
Samsung NC10 2011 iirc Bought new. Was my main machine for several years still used as a bed time surfer runs Dragora 2

Last edited by oswaldkelso on 2022-05-19 11:04, edited 1 time in total.
Free Software Matters

bester69

#10 Post by bester69 »

Interesting concept I found out in amazon (I like it :roll: ), after all, i wasnt so wrong with my invention
but I picked the wrong platform :shock:

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#11 Post by Hallvor »

My work desk:

Screen and wireless mouse and keyboard plugged into a ThinkPad Ultra Dock 40A2. My X240 in my signature is docked.

(Click to get an even larger image.)

[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

wizard10000
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#12 Post by wizard10000 »

caution: this is liable to be long. you have been warned!

Took me awhile to do this because I pretty consistently forgot to take the pictures :mrgreen:

Clickable thumbnails, details below each picture. All machines are running Sid.

My home office.

On the desk is a six-year old Fujitsu Stylistic Q665 tablet, these are weird little tablets with wimpy Core M-5Y71 processors (and no cooling fan) so we don't ask much of it but it'll run work VMWare instances just fine. It does have 8GB RAM, a 256GB M.2 SSD, a Wacom digitizer and stylus and a full HD screen. Only one USB3 (and one USB2) port so that's a four-port USB3 hub velcroed to the top of the tablet. Also on the desk is a cheap Chinese 24" monitor. Works just fine but takes about three seconds to wake from sleep, which can be irritating.

On the table next to the desk is our home server, a first-gen i7 Dell Precision laptop (8GB RAM, 50GB SSD, two 2TB external drives) that does all my backups, runs Plex/Radarr/Sonarr/Prowlarr/qBittorrent/Calibre and is permanently connected to a Mullvad VPN. It's sitting on a USB cooling platform that's got five fans in it; the bottom panel of the laptop has been removed and the laptop can serve up audio or video and still stay under 40°C.

Behind the server is a Brother HL-5450DN black and white laser printer. I love this printer - took me months to convince the wife that we didn't need color printing. Bought a high-capacity toner cartridge when I bought the printer five years ago and the thing is still on its starter cartridge :) Ethernet and hardware duplexer.

My bedroom office.

There's a PS3 in there because I still play Skyrim (heck, I still play Oblivion) and the laptop is another Dell Precision, this one a 4th Gen i7. I bought an Extreme Edition i7-4940MX because I always wanted an EE processor but the BIOS on this machine doesn't like the fancy processor so i8k won't manage cooling fans. When I did my annual thermal paste refresh last month I put the i7-4800MQ chip back in the machine and the fans are happy again. 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 2TB internal drive.

I prefer an external keyboard and mouse with laptops which is a good thing because it's almost impossible to properly connect the keyboard ribbon cable on this laptop so the keyboard is non-functional which matters not at all because I prefer an external keyboard :)

I have a third laptop not pictured, a 12-year old Dell but we don't ask much of it either :)

cheers -
we see things not as they are, but as we are.
-- anais nin

Onsemeliot

#13 Post by Onsemeliot »

This is the corner I sit in. I usually have my laptop on a wooden board.

I see myself as a minimalist but I have to admit that this image doesn't look like it at all. At least it is very comfy. :D

Today I updated my old ThinkPad T40 and the ThinkPad R50 to Bullseye LXDE. But I didn't update my main private (a Technoetical T400s, using GNOME) and office laptop (a Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook E781, also GNOME) yet. In addition I have a second T40 running Trisquel 9 mini. And I also still need to upgrade my Dell Latidude E7470, which I bought because the T400s is on it's last legs in terms of overheating when ever I demand a little more from it on a hot summer day.

I wonder if I should try XFCE 4.16 on one of those. I don't have experience with it yet but figured LXDE would be the best fit for rather old/weak systems. And on the newer ones I actually prefer GNOME. I am also curious about Devuan but didn't get into it yet.

bester69

#14 Post by bester69 »

Onsemeliot wrote: 2021-08-19 17:27 This is the corner I sit in. I usually have my laptop on a wooden board.

I see myself as a minimalist but I have to admit that this image doesn't look like it at all. At least it is very comfy. :D

Today I updated my old ThinkPad T40 and the ThinkPad R50 to Bullseye LXDE. But I didn't update my main private (a Technoetical T400s, using GNOME) and office laptop (a Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook E781, also GNOME) yet. In addition I have a second T40 running Trisquel 9 mini. And I also still need to upgrade my Dell Latidude E7470, which I bought because the T400s is on it's last legs in terms of overheating when ever I demand a little more from it on a hot summer day.

I wonder if I should try XFCE 4.16 on one of those. I don't have experience with it yet but figured LXDE would be the best fit for rather old/weak systems. And on the newer ones I actually prefer GNOME. I am also curious about Devuan but didn't get into it yet.
man, you live in there ? :D dont you scare to get in fires¿? :mrgreen:

beautifull cushions :o

bester69

#15 Post by bester69 »

wizard10000 wrote: 2021-08-18 20:12 caution: this is liable to be long. you have been warned!

Took me awhile to do this because I pretty consistently forgot to take the pictures :mrgreen:

Clickable thumbnails, details below each picture. All machines are running Sid.

My home office.

On the desk is a six-year old Fujitsu Stylistic Q665 tablet, these are weird little tablets with wimpy Core M-5Y71 processors (and no cooling fan) so we don't ask much of it but it'll run work VMWare instances just fine. It does have 8GB RAM, a 256GB M.2 SSD, a Wacom digitizer and stylus and a full HD screen. Only one USB3 (and one USB2) port so that's a four-port USB3 hub velcroed to the top of the tablet. Also on the desk is a cheap Chinese 24" monitor. Works just fine but takes about three seconds to wake from sleep, which can be irritating.

On the table next to the desk is our home server, a first-gen i7 Dell Precision laptop (8GB RAM, 50GB SSD, two 2TB external drives) that does all my backups, runs Plex/Radarr/Sonarr/Prowlarr/qBittorrent/Calibre and is permanently connected to a Mullvad VPN. It's sitting on a USB cooling platform that's got five fans in it; the bottom panel of the laptop has been removed and the laptop can serve up audio or video and still stay under 40°C.

Behind the server is a Brother HL-5450DN black and white laser printer. I love this printer - took me months to convince the wife that we didn't need color printing. Bought a high-capacity toner cartridge when I bought the printer five years ago and the thing is still on its starter cartridge :) Ethernet and hardware duplexer.

My bedroom office.

There's a PS3 in there because I still play Skyrim (heck, I still play Oblivion) and the laptop is another Dell Precision, this one a 4th Gen i7. I bought an Extreme Edition i7-4940MX because I always wanted an EE processor but the BIOS on this machine doesn't like the fancy processor so i8k won't manage cooling fans. When I did my annual thermal paste refresh last month I put the i7-4800MQ chip back in the machine and the fans are happy again. 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 2TB internal drive.

I prefer an external keyboard and mouse with laptops which is a good thing because it's almost impossible to properly connect the keyboard ribbon cable on this laptop so the keyboard is non-functional which matters not at all because I prefer an external keyboard :)

I have a third laptop not pictured, a 12-year old Dell but we don't ask much of it either :)

cheers -
love that house :cry:
nice classic furnitures and decoration , they style decorarion I most like

Onsemeliot

#16 Post by Onsemeliot »

bester69 wrote: 2021-08-22 18:12 man, you live in there ? :D dont you scare to get in fires¿? :mrgreen:
I wouldn't really say I "live" in this corner, but if I consider how much time I spend there I guess it isn't the wrong word in the end. But heat is the reason why I place running laptops like tents if I don't directly use them at the moment. This way they shouldn't overheat. :wink:
bester69 wrote: 2021-08-22 18:12 beautifull cushions :o
This is the doing of my parter. I am not so stylish ... :oops:

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#17 Post by oswaldkelso »

This is a really interesting thread for me and I thank all those that have posted: It addresses so many truths about the diverse nature of the community and that makes it informative to.

The point Bester69 made about how we want to be seen and how we are. lots of psycho babble there. i'e. folks are scared to show there real desktops because they are not "Hollywood" or "Apple" enough, because they live in deprived areas and are poor etc. The fact is most people live pretty ordinary lives have pretty ordinary jobs and pretty ordinary desktops. Show your real desktop because it makes connections, With real people about real people.

Of a personal interest.

!. Onsemeliot. Though I'd love to be able to sit on a comfy couch or sofa to work. If I sat there for more than a few hours I'd need a hoist to get up :mrgreen: I respect this maybe due to my advancing years but Onsemeliot does not seem to be that young! I guess early thirties. I'm curious.

2. The laptop tent is new to me. living in Scotland over heating has only been an issue in temperatures over 18C, so not very often :-) . I'm used to hotties (hot water bottles) under my feet and on my lap when I've lived in an old stone tower with no heat. In fact I can use my computers to provide background heat because they're on 24/7. Doing two lots of work. Computing and heating. If I used my old freedom hating rpi I'd have to light the wood stove as well :lol:
Free Software Matters

Onsemeliot

#18 Post by Onsemeliot »

oswaldkelso wrote: 2021-08-25 21:35I guess early thirties. I'm curious.
I'm actually 45. But I love riding my bycicle, do some yoga and some body weight training. This so far kept me fit enough. I usually find it much harder to sit all day long on a normal chair. But if it was a nicely done spot it might be comfortable. I actually don't have a proper working space. Therefore I chose the sofa. The cables are less annoying on the sofa than on the dining table. And it would be totally impractical to put a real desktop anywhere. My flat is small.
I can use my computers to provide background heat
This is only nice in winter. In summer even my wooden board sometimes gets to hot from the exhaust heat of my laptop to be comfortable to have it on the lap. And I always switch it off if I don't need it for a few hours.

bester69

#19 Post by bester69 »

oswaldkelso wrote: 2021-08-25 21:35 This is a really interesting thread for me and I thank all those that have posted: It addresses so many truths about the diverse nature of the community and that makes it informative to.

The point Bester69 made about how we want to be seen and how we are. lots of psycho babble there. i'e. folks are scared to show there real desktops because they are not "Hollywood" or "Apple" enough, because they live in deprived areas and are poor etc. The fact is most people live pretty ordinary lives have pretty ordinary jobs and pretty ordinary desktops. Show your real desktop because it makes connections, With real people about real people.

Of a personal interest.

!. Onsemeliot. Though I'd love to be able to sit on a comfy couch or sofa to work. If I sat there for more than a few hours I'd need a hoist to get up :mrgreen: I respect this maybe due to my advancing years but Onsemeliot does not seem to be that young! I guess early thirties. I'm curious.

2. The laptop tent is new to me. living in Scotland over heating has only been an issue in temperatures over 18C, so not very often :-) . I'm used to hotties (hot water bottles) under my feet and on my lap when I've lived in an old stone tower with no heat. In fact I can use my computers to provide background heat because they're on 24/7. Doing two lots of work. Computing and heating. If I used my old freedom hating rpi I'd have to light the wood stove as well :lol:
Some ordinary people live extraordinary lifes... organic portals attract success , power and money but they are unable to enjoy anything cos they are soulless beings.. you can see that clearly the more you age... cant eny what is already dead.. sometimes is eve funnny and distopic to watch them surrounded by many beautifull things they cant feel or value.

Zoot
df -h | grep > 90TiB
df -h | grep > 90TiB

#20 Post by Zoot »

My Home Office Desk:

Systems on display are:

Orange Colored System - My DIY Router, it runs IPFire. It's a relatively basic system with an Athlon 200GE and an Intel i350 network card chucked into it. It easily achieves the full 1Gbps of my internet connection while running Suricata.

Main Desktop - Dual boots Debian & Windows 10. I'm quite a prominent gamer, so this machine mainly has Windows running on it.

Server - Under the desk. Mainly does Media & NAS related tasks, but also runs a number of Virtual Machines for various purposes (Pi-hole for network-wide adblocking, OpenVPN etc.) It got upgraded from Buster to Bullseye about 2 weeks ago without issue.